Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ag science recheck

• 30-08-2013 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Got my ag science paper looked at today.. Got a b3 and the marks on the paper added up to give me my b3 but I was wondering where the 25% (100m) of the project went?? I know they're not supposed to give you the result of it but it doesn't seem it was included in my mark at all?
    Can anybody clarify this please? :/

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If that is the error it's an obvious one and would be treated the same was as a mistot - it should be sorted quickly for you.
    The teacher working as Examinations Secretary is the one to talk to. Did they not tell you to report any errors you found to them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

To get a B3 overall without including the project you'd need 280/300 in the exam (because 280/400 = 70%). To get it with a B3 grade in the project as well you'd need 210/300. What was your mark in the exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 SoundInfluence

Canard wrote: »
    To get a B3 overall without including the project you'd need 280/300 in the exam (because 280/400 = 70%). To get it with a B3 grade in the project as well you'd need 210/300. What was your mark in the exam?

I got 233 out of 300?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Got my ag science paper looked at today.. Got a b3 and the marks on the paper added up to give me my b3 but I was wondering where the 25% (100m) of the project went?? I know they're not supposed to give you the result of it but it doesn't seem it was included in my mark at all?
    Can anybody clarify this please? :/

Remember the written paper is marked out of 300. The project out of 100. So you add the two marks together and the total is out of 400.

So did you get a B3 as your overall grade?

E.g. if you got 210 in the written paper as you viewed it this evening and you got say 74/100 in the project this would give you 284/400 which is 71% which is a B3 overall.

Even if you got 210 tonight you could get up to 89 in the project and still come in on a B3. E.g.: 210+89 = 299 and 299/400 is a B3.

You do not add on 25%, you add on the mark and convert the total to a percentage of the 400 mark total.

As you got 233 in the project and 280 - 299 out of 400 is the total mark range which would give you a B3, then your project grade was somewhere in the range of 47 - 66.

Sorry I actually got a B2 haha! Don't know why I thought B3!
    Thanks but I seriously doubt I got that low in the project! It was 2 years work and the interview with the examiner went perfectly! :/

• Advertisement

Sorry I actually got a B2 haha! Don't know why I thought B3!
    Thanks but I seriously doubt I got that low in the project! It was 2 years work and the interview with the examiner went perfectly! :/

Well OK, a B2 changes things but again a B2 has the mark range 300 -319 overall so given that your written paper was 233 the project would have to have a mark in the range 67-86. So if you got a mark in the 80s you would have done well in the project. Even if you got 85 or 86 out of 100 in the project which is an A for the project you still end up with a B2 overall.

This is where a lot of people make the mistake of thinking their project grade wasn't added in. It's only worth 25% of the overall grade, an A in the project does not mean an A in the exam as you can see from the calculation above.

Well OK, a B2 changes things but again a B2 has the mark range 300 -319 overall so given that your written paper was 233 the project would have to have a mark in the range 67-86. So if you got a mark in the 80s you would have done well in the project. Even if you got 85 or 86 out of 100 in the project which is an A for the project you still end up with a B2 overall

This is where a lot of people make the mistake of thinking their project grade wasn't added in. It's only worth 25% of the overall grade, an A in the project does not mean an A in the exam as you can see from the calculation above.

Ah thanks for clearing up I understand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 stommy

what is the average mark people get for the project i got 33% in the written exam having failed but surely you would think i would have gotten at least 8% in my project to pass the exam did they forget to add it????

stommy wrote: »
    what is the average mark people get for the project i got 33% in the written exam having failed but surely you would think i would have gotten at least 8% in my project to pass the exam did they forget to add it????

What other people get in the project has no bearing on what you got. Have a look at the examples above when calculating your grade. You don't add percentages together you add your project mark and written exam mark together and divide the total by 4.

So if you got 100 marks in the written and say 55 in the project that's 155/400 which is a fail. 160 in total between the two is 40%

Advertisement