Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student repeating LC by home study

Options
  • 30-08-2013 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi all,

I'm a mature student that is hoping to go back and do Veterinary my original LC I have the requirements for Irish, English and Maths.

I'll have to do Chemistry and then pick some other subjects hope for the best.

My question is how feasible is it to do the LC by yourself with regards to practicals and projects. I would love to do Ag Sci but it has projects so I'm not sure how I would go about it as a home study.

Alternatively is there any night classes that might be the solution.

thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

I didn't do most of my final year biology or chemistry or physics practicals and nobody gave a toss. Might be different now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I also never did more than a vague cursory attempt at doing the first few practicals in chemistry and got a B (higher). Not particularly long ago and as far as I know that was the "new" (e.g. current) course.

School always put the frighteners on about "they can ask for your project book" but I fail to see how they could for an external candidate. If anyone knows how I'd love to find out!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You need a teacher to sign a form saying they can attest it's your own work as they supervised you doing it (in Geog, Hist, Ag Sc and the other project subjects).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

spurious wrote: »
    You need a teacher to sign a form saying they can attest it's your own work as they supervised you doing it (in Geog, Hist, Ag Sc and the other project subjects).

That'd rather screw up my approach then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Username99

Just ring up a few schools in the area and ask to speak to a relevant teacher.

You might get a teacher who will supervise your practicals for you.

Or else ring the Institute of Education or someplace like that and pay for doing the practicals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Billiethepup

I think im going to say what you might not want to hear but its in the context of LC advice... Forget stressing about practicals, I think you've a bigger issue - feasibility of getting 560+ points on your own...

So im a mature, I have a degree and a 550+ LC from ages ago... and after loooong consideration and research I've concluded the only way I will improve my LC score to get into med is to go do it through a school. Mostly for the discipline, but also for the teaching specific to the LC exam. The LC is a different animal when compared to university knowledge.

In not saying its not possible....but i am saying if your serious about repeating for vet i think you really need to think of the likelyhood of getting those kind of points on your own. Doing one subject at home -very doable, doing six and needing huge points....?? I've certainly never heard of anyone get into vet/med repeating as a mature, at home, teaching themselves.

Sorry if that's not helpful but its meant with best of intention. Good luck with it.

Advertisement