Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

big baby

Options
  • 30-08-2013 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi all, i had scan today an even though im 32 weeks gone my babys head and tummy circumference is measuring ať 34 weeks.. so its gonna be a big baby.:o:o
    Has anyone else experienced this an if so did they go into labour early or were they induced or anything.??
    My doc said ať 38 weeks she will examine mě an decide whether they will get things started or not!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Drdoc

Hi jackben

Starting at 30 weeks my lo started to measure 2-4 weeks ahead by tummy and scan, so much so I was checked for gestational diabetes at 35 weeks.

Anyway he continued to measure big until the end and my doc said there is no evidence to suggest intervening early is worthwhile where a big baby is suspected.
    I went a whole week overdue and had a natural delivery, baby was a lovely.......8lbs 1oz.

So all that fuss over nothing. I just had a lot of amniotic fluid.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

jackben wrote: »
    Hi all, i had scan today an even though im 32 weeks gone my babys head and tummy circumference is measuring ať 34 weeks.. so its gonna be a big baby.:o:o
    Has anyone else experienced this an if so did they go into labour early or were they induced or anything.??
    My doc said ať 38 weeks she will examine mě an decide whether they will get things started or not!!!

Maybe I shouldn't be telling you this but I was told to expect a baby anywhere between 7.5 to 8.5 pounds. I ended up being 2 weeks overdue and my baby weighed 7pound 2. I was also told I was measuring a week over at one stage.
    I had a false alarm at the end of June and I was scanned and they weighed the baby at 5pound 15. I didn't give birth until 7 weeks later in August so there's no way the baby could have been that weight, she was more than likely smaller than 5'15. I think hospitals often give you inaccurate information to make you expect the worse and to cover themselves. I wouldn't worry about it too much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭missis aggie

Same here - measuring 3 weeks ahead and baby born 7lbs7...
    Interesting article http://evidencebasedbirth.com/evidence-for-induction-or-c-section-for-big-baby/

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

Same with me I was measuring 2 weeks ahead and had a 7lbs 4 baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jackben

Thanks to all for the replies, all very interesting an good to know as i was convinced im goin to have a Really big baby, i know i still might have a big baby but a chance it might not be....
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I was told 2 weeks before my due date that my baby weight 7lbs, she arrived two weeks later on her due date weighing 6lbs. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

I was told with two of mine they were 'big babies' born at an average 8lbs or so.... I think that even mentioning big baby etc. by per natal care staff is just starting a whole fear thing rolling, creating anxiety where there needent be any... Making the woman doubt her ability to birth etc. the woman in Spain who gave birth naturally to a 13 lber is testament to the fact that in most circumstances, the size of the baby has very little to do with the ability to birth it, however the fear and anxiety caused by the belief that the baby will be in must have a psychological effect on the mother.... X unless the ultrasound shows that the baby has some sort of serious growth disorder then it feel it is very unhelpful for the woman to be to,d she may or may not have a big baby... All it does is start the doubt rolling in the mind and the fear... Good luck op and don't doubt your ability wether the baby is large or not x

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

i have 4 kids and their birthweight varied greatly.
    Some labours were much easier than others and there was no relation to the size of the baby, the 3rd baby was the 2nd largest and was by far the easiest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

I was also told the whole way through that I was having a very big baby,even the day I was being induced, they had me petrified. I was thinking all sorts, then, I had a lovely little 7lb 5oz boy.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Also, just to add. A larger baby doesn't mean problems either. I know someone who had an almost 10lb baby on their first and she hadn't a stitch. Next baby was 7lb something and it ended up ventouse with stitches.

Don't worry jackben!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

My little (big!) boy was 10lb 8oz when he was born. He is my first so I have nothing to compare it with. There was no assistance needed and overall was a brilliant experience!
    Try not to worry, even though its easier said than done!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I was the same as icecreamqueen, told at 36 weeks my baby was 6 and a half pounds, 3 and a half weeks later my baby was born at just 7 pounds. Head was tiny, but the body circumference was large enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I was told I was having a 8.5ish pounder and he was significantly bigger. Once you get out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I was told I was having a 8.5ish pounder and he was significantly bigger. Once you get out of dating scan range, the accuracy of measurements and dating can vary so much.
    My son was measuring weeks ahead, yet we went very over the edd, and he still showed no physical signs of being overdue.
    I definitely wouldn't worry about guesstimations of size at this stage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I'm going to go against the grain here... My sister was told her baby was going to be big, they guessed around 10lbs from the 35-36 week mark.... He came (2weeks late!) weighing in at exactly 10lbs, however! She gave birth with no problems whatsoever, and no pain relief. I'm of the opinion (backed up by no scientific proof whatsoever:P) that our bodies grow what we are able to cope with birthing!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jackben

Hi all,
    Just an update on my big baby situation.... I had a scan yesterday which gave me the weight of my.baby now.
    At about 30 weeks pregnant baby was 3lb 9oz and now at 35 weeks Its already 7lb 5oz!!!! Its a huge growth spurt since 30 weeks so i think i will be glad to be induced at 38 weeks as the baby is going to continue with Its growth spurt every week:o:o
    Looks like it could be a ten pounder!!!!

Advertisement