Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ability to quote/multiquote closed threads?

Options
  • 30-08-2013 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭

The Quote/MultiQuote buttons disappear when a thread is locked.
    This made perfect sense back when threads were only locked because they were OT or a trainwreck and locking them was always intended to stop the debate.
    But with the new 10K post limit threads now get locked and then continue immediately into a new thread.

Possibility: The buttons remain and you only get stopped when you actually try to confirm your reply. So you could do the quote/multi quote in the editor, ctrlC it to the buffer, then start a reply to the new thread and CtrlV to the editor there.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

There's a slow, roundabout way of doing it. Read on if you have the patience to use this!

Copy and paste the post you want to quote.

Wrap the [noparse]
    [/noparse] tags around it.

For the first tag, type in

Click the # on the top right of the quoted post. Copy the number after "p=" in the URL of the window that opens.

Paste that number after the semi-colon in the first tag bracket.

Submit the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Another way would be to quote another post for the poster in question and copy and paste the whole thing into the reply box of the new thread. Then remove the text in the quote and copy and paste the text you wanted to reply to.

I'm often too lazy to do that. I find @ ArmaniJeanss, then my point, works too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Another way would be to quote another post for the poster in question and copy and paste the whole thing into the reply box of the new thread. Then remove the text in the quote and copy and paste the text you wanted to reply to.

I'm often too lazy to do that. I find @ ArmaniJeanss, then my point, works too.

If somebody actually clicked on that post though, wouldn't they be taken to the other (and probably unrelated) post?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

osarusan wrote:
    If somebody actually clicked on that post though, wouldn't they be taken to the other (and probably unrelated) post?

If you leave in the original post number it would. this would have to be removed also.

Advertisement