Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms

Options
  • 30-08-2013 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi.

Due to move out to a house just between Blackpool and the city next week. Can anyone recommend any nearby gyms to join? Currently a member at the Mardyke but that would be a bit of a trek and quite fancy a change. Thanks

Comments

Jcomm114 wrote: »
    Hi.

Due to move out to a house just between Blackpool and the city next week. Can anyone recommend any nearby gyms to join? Currently a member at the Mardyke but that would be a bit of a trek and quite fancy a change. Thanks

The Planet gym should be fairly near you - just off the main cork-mallow road by the Statoil garage - never been there myself, but a decent gym from what I've heard - good selection of equipment there.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

There's a new gym on the Watercourse Road, Blackpool, above the pharmacy. I haven't been there but it's very close to you. I'd say they'd give you a tour if you showed up.

As regards The Planet, I was a member up until a few years ago and it was getting shabbier and shabbier. Now, fair enough it might be a lot better now but here's my post from last year regarding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

Gamayun wrote: »
    There's a new gym on the Watercourse Road, Blackpool, above the pharmacy. I haven't been there but it's very close to you. I'd say they'd give you a tour if you showed up.

As regards The Planet, I was a member up until a few years ago and it was getting shabbier and shabbier. Now, fair enough it might be a lot better now but here's my post from last year regarding it.

I`m a member of Planet in Blackpool and have been for about a year and a half now. I know what you mean in your post when you mention the music. It reminds me of the title music to "Bruno" but as you also said most people, myself included wear earphones.

They are really good to replace worn grips, pulley handles and cables and they`ve just put in a whole new thick rubber floor in the weight room.

The hygiene has greatly improved with one member of staff constantly wiping down all the machines with disinfectant wipes.

As for the squat rack, it isn`t the best to be fair and it struggles with anything over 150kg on it, but there aren`t many members really testing it`s limits, probably just myself and maybe 10-15 others really find it to be lacking as most find it okay for what they use on it.

My main issue is the heat in the changing room is quite annoying due to it`s proximity to the sauna and steam room. They have plenty of extractor fans, but if they put in an AC unit I`d have no issues with the gym as I get on great with the staff and it`s really spacious with dumbbells up to 60kg which is fine for most people.

First years membership (Gold) which is for anytime 6:30 am - 10:30 is €425 but there`s usually offers on that if you check their website periodically. Second years membership is €325 as they give you a voucher at Christmas for €100 off your next years membership, so I find it incredible value for money.

A few of the lads I`d know from have gone to Tony Martin`s new place on the Watercourse road and they said through the grapevine that it`s good, but it`s a hardcore gym in the sense that there`s no cardio machines and the dumbbells go to 100kg, so not for everyone. (My girlfriend is related to Tony Martin and he`s a sound bloke......maybe I should try and blag a F&F discount, ha.)

I hope that gives you an insight to Planet though, I`ve photos of the inside I took for my brother before he decided to join that I could post if it`s okay, or by PM if that`s frowned upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Jcomm114

Thanks for that. The gym on Watercourse Road would be a perfect location but it just seems to have weights and I'd really want a gym with cardio. Currently leaning towards the Planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Hi just wondering if anyone has any info about the gym in Nemo...thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Ambush Rebel 2010

newbee22 wrote: »
    Hi just wondering if anyone has any info about the gym in Nemo...thanks :)

Hi,

http://www.nemofitnesscentre.com/gym.asp

I was a member of the Nemo Gym up to a few months ago.

Its pretty good value for a years membership.

the Gym itself it taken up quite a bit by spinning classes.

Has about 6 Threadmills,

2 Bikes

Rowing machines and free weights.

there is a Steamroom also available.

It tends to get quite busy in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭harry999

Hi Anybody have the address of Tony Martin`s new place on the Watercourse road? I tried phoning it on 0214251550 - but phone does not seem to work. Is there a different nbr? Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭CCWrestling

Looking for a great gym with personal trainers? Can't say enough good things about RB Fitness Centre, Daltons Avenue, Off Cornmarket Street, Cork city

Advertisement