Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Tit nesting in the eaves of a rural dwelling... or more likely mice/rats?

• 31-08-2013 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Heard all sorts of scratching noises at about 7am this morning.

Went outside to where the noise was coming from expecting to see a rat. Was right underneath the noise and much to my surprise a small yellow bellied bird (which I'm thinking is a Great Tit) flew out and away from the gutter directly above the eaves.

Now is it possible that this is nesting in the house? This is not the first time we've heard these noises, two weeks ago I heard unreal scratching at about 5am and then the next night at about 10pm (pitch dark both times) so we presumed we had rodents of some sort and got Rentokil out. Their initial inspection was that they couldn't see any definitive signs of rodents (though there was old mouse droppings) but Rentokil had been there in previous years as there was some old Rentokil stuff in the attic. Would the birds make a lot of scratching noises at these times or is it probable that we could have both rodents and birds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭awanderer

Hi OnlyWayIsUp:) . Have you thought about asking that question on the "nature and birdwatching" forum? I am sure they would be able to answer. They often amaze me with their knowledge of all kinds of wildlife matters!

Advertisement