Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from the Limerick forum.

Options
  • 31-08-2013 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭

I have received a one day ban from the Limerick forum for ignoring a moderator's instructions.
    You have been banned from Limerick for one day for ignoring a moderator's instructions.

I feel this ban is unjustified and unfair because:

1) Its a 9 page thread I didn't read every page and I didn't see any mod warnings about staying on topic. I only posted on this page not on any other page, therefore I wasn't participating in the whole thread from the start. I didn't know this was a troublesome thread for the mods. I rarely post on the Limerick forum anyway.

2) There are other posts on the next page, that are way off-topic, for example with cartoon images. Have bans been handed out to these posters?

3) My comment mentioned a current legal case that's been widely reported in the local papers, and on national TV news. I mentioned it in a responsible way using the word allegedly. Someone else may have posted something inappropriate, in response, I didn't: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057002101&page=8

4) I also dispute that the comment was completely off-topic anyway. The management of Jerry Flannerys bar have commented publicly (RTE Radio 1 Today with Myles Duggan) about the prostitution problem in Limerick. The legal case I mentioned, while not related to prostitution, is connected with that bar.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi Oracle. I would ask that you discuss this ban with the relevant Mod as per the DRP process outlined above.

If you cannot come to agreement on this matter, you may then appeal in this thread.

However, I would like to point out that not reading on-thread warnings is not an excuse. Additionally, the behaviour of other posters in that thread is not up for discussion. This thread will relate to your posts & your banning only.

Like I said - please discuss with Kess73 & we shall see how that goes first.

Hi Oracle:

I've been in touch with Kess73 who tells me that they had already been in contact with you via PM about this ban & advised you to use the DRP. So here goes...

As I have already stated - the fact that you did not read the warnings is no excuse. The onus is on the poster to abide by the forum & thread rules & any warnings that may have been given.

Additionally, I will only take into account your behaviour on that thread. The actions of others are not up for discussion here.

Your comment regarding an on-going legal case was off-topic. Also, you did not comment on it in 'a responsible way'. You identified a specific individual involved in the case & put the word allegedly in quotes which made it appear that you doubted the truth of the allegation.

Based on the above, this was clearly off-topic & warning were not heeded, therefore I see no reason to revoke the ban.

You may appeal to an Admin if you wish.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Hi Oracle:
    Your comment regarding an on-going legal case was off-topic. Also, you did not comment on it in 'a responsible way'. You identified a specific individual involved in the case & put the word allegedly in quotes which made it appear that you doubted the truth of the allegation.

Based on the above, this was clearly off-topic & warning were not heeded, therefore I see no reason to revoke the ban.

You may appeal to an Admin if you wish.

tHB

You say I made it appear that I "doubted the truth of the allegation" not at all. My understanding is this case is yet to come before the courts, therefore the term allegedly is legally correct. I put the word in quotes to emphasis that it is currently unproven either way.

There's a responsibility to be fair to the individual taking the case, but also towards the party against whom the case is being taken.

I am disappointed with this decision and the ban. After more than 10 years on the Boards maybe its time for me to call it a day.

It would be a sorry situation if you left boards because of this 1 day ban.

Can an Admin please review this appeal please.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'm not really seeing anything to argue with here. The moderator warned against going off-topic; your post was off-topic. Upheld.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement