Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a fan of the John Creedon show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

guile4582 wrote: »
    i think it would be better use of Spotify if the playlist was built (nightly) as the tunes are being played. that way if ya like a tune you can save it on the spot

then do a weekly compilation of the best on Saturday...would also possibly be a good metric for RTE to see how popular this show is.

They already know how popular the show is via the JNLR. But definitely, the Spotify is an excellent resource for the show to have on board to help recall tracks played.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

They already know how popular the show is via the JNLR. But definitely, the Spotify is an excellent resource for the show to have on board to help recall tracks played.

that's true but i think key to this show gaining more traction is the Twitter interaction of which they are aware of it seems and Spotify..they are definetly onto a winner.

I always liked John Clarke on Nova on a Sunday morning but Creedo defo trumps him. Music selection is far more eclectic and isnt afraid to play new music

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

How did I forget how good The Stranglers were?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

John was on the radio with Ray Darcy today. He talked about the radio show and his new TV show about the river Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

guile4582 wrote: »
    that's true but i think key to this show gaining more traction is the Twitter interaction of which they are aware of it seems and Spotify..they are definetly onto a winner.

I always liked John Clarke on Nova on a Sunday morning but Creedo defo trumps him. Music selection is far more eclectic and isnt afraid to play new music

John Clarke was excellent with his show "John Clarke at Midnight" (When he was a producer on RTE)

Was the only place you would ever hear any Warren Zeavon, Mark Germino or, once in a blue moon, Kevin Salem. (Glimmer was a superb album)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    John Clarke was excellent with his show "John Clarke at Midnight" (When he was a producer on RTE)

Was the only place you would ever hear any Warren Zeavon, Mark Germino or, one in a blue moon, Kevin Salem. (Glimmer was a superb album)

Agreed. It was a great show on Friday nights 2FM "Both sides of midnight" as John used to say. Mostly referred to as the "Album show".

Different times...

Yabba Dabba Doooooooo:D

• Registered Users Posts: 72,622 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Two from Steely Dan

:cool: :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

riot at the sheepdog trials!

Anyone know how John Creedon did in today's JNLR figures?

He was up 9,000 in the last book (y-o-y), which is significant for someone pulling in about 50k listeners (I think it's 50k?)

He deserves a far bigger audience. Best music show on Irish radio in my view.

• Advertisement

riot at the sheepdog trials!

Thursday often seems to be his Indie Rock day.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,347 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

He was up 9,000 in the last book (y-o-y), which is significant for someone pulling in about 50k listeners (I think it's 50k?)

x1000

'Going Up The Country' by Canned Heat.

And everything is alright with the world.

:)

I'm a huge fan of the JC show, and a recent convert to Spotify, which I don't really know how to work yet..... so pardon the possibly stoooopid questions but....

I've just searched for John Creedon, and found a playlist. I've downloaded it, and it's 26 songs.

Is that it? Is that all they've made available under his name? Or is there a new one every day (or even every now and then) to download?

And how long will that playlist last now I've downloaded it? For ever (as long as I'm on Spotify, obv), or do they have a limited shelf life?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭mountain

Is there a danger that the larger his audience gets, the danger that he has to change the songs to suit the greater audience?

For what is a niche choice of music, 50K are pretty good figures

mountain wrote: »
    Is there a danger that the larger his audience gets, the danger that he has to change the songs to suit the greater audience?

For what is a niche choice of music, 50K are pretty good figures
    Fair point. But I'd be a fairly agnostic music fan, I don't know a lot about music, but JC seems to appeal both to listeners like myself, and real music afficianados. Part of the reason I listen to Creedon is to discover new music.

i don't foresee him changing his approach... I hope not, anyway.

HeidiHeidi -- that's something I'm wondering myself. Personally I just look up his Spotify list and explore those artists myself, saving the best music to my playlists. But it's not quite the same as listening to the show. You'd miss the random musings on Irish placenames and other trivia!

Fair point. But I'd be a fairly agnostic music fan, I don't know a lot about music, but JC seems to appeal both to listeners like myself, and real music afficianados. Part of the reason I listen to Creedon is to discover new music.

i don't foresee him changing his approach... I hope not, anyway.

HeidiHeidi -- that's something I'm wondering myself. Personally I just look up his Spotify list and explore those artists myself, saving the best music to my playlists. But it's not quite the same as listening to the show. You'd miss the random musings on Irish placenames and other trivia!

Agreed. I'm tuned in now, on one of the few occasions when I'm at home for his show, and half the fun is his ramblings between songs.

I really must get into the habit of podcasting the actual show (can you do that?? What with music rights and all that guff??)

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

I really must get into the habit of podcasting the actual show (can you do that?? What with music rights and all that guff??)
    You can indeed. It was blocked internationally for a few years when I was among John's Diaspora Disciples, but it should be available to everyone now.

Loving the music tonight, haven't heard the Sultans of Ping FC in ages!

I remember someone bringing me to a Whipping Boy concert back in the day. I think it was in the Underground on Dame Street - which I see is due to reopen in a new 21st century guise soon somewhere nearby!

I thought I'd lose my hearing - and possibly my life! :eek:

(I'd had a fairly sheltered upbringing till then!)

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Just checked out Spotify there and it seems that RTE1 have one playlist for JC that they update each week. A stupid way to do things as they could have a playlist for each week and just leave them there so there'd be hundreds now.

A lot of the real music buffs on radio do create their own playlists and you can save them. Ok, it won't be exactly the kind of stuff Creedon plays but you'll hit some real gold all the same. If you've a preference for good Irish music, any of the big hitters will have playlists that should work for you. (Personally, I'm a big fan of Joe Donnelly's playlists and he's very active on Spotify... He even does requests sometimes! Search @kildarejoe)

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/johncreedon/status/894627041689182208

Says it all, really!

ETA - ah ffs, I can NOT figure out this embedding lark :mad:

He's well and truly playing a stormer today. The Radiators, Echo and the Bunnymen, Tino Rossi and then what else but Lowdown; Boz Scaggs at his best. The week has been made for me and yet it's only Monday.

He's well and truly playing a stormer today. The Radiators, Echo and the Bunnymen, Tino Rossi and then what else but Lowdown; Boz Scaggs at his best. The week has been made for me and yet it's only Monday.

Not forgetting 'John Kettley Is A Weatherman' by A Tribe Of Toffs :D

That was the maddest song I've heard on radio (or anywhere for that matter) for quite some time!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mang0

The music is great, it's just a shame that the audio quality of RTE 1 is so abysmal.

That bunch of posh Jilted John wannabes? :D

'Nightclubbing' by Iggy Pop.

:cool:

You can indeed. It was blocked internationally for a few years when I was among John's Diaspora Disciples, but it should be available to everyone now.

Loving the music tonight, haven't heard the Sultans of Ping FC in ages!
    How do you podcast it? I've searched but can't find an option, - only the listen back option........

inthehat wrote: »
    How do you podcast it? I've searched but can't find an option, - only the listen back option........

sorry! I was a bit loose with my language there; you're right, it's possible to listen back via the RTE radio app but there's no podcast.

• Advertisement

A pair from Tom Robinson, Michelle Shocked and the Toasters and Two Tone Army. Haarland and Wolfe didn't push out as many boats as the Creedon show.

Advertisement