Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a fan of the John Creedon show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Must have heard at least 50 different versions of Barbara Allen, none as utterly sublime as this one by North Cregg.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,622 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Ja, das ist so gut.

XzOwpawDOy0y.gif

‘Haitian Divorce’!

*unashamedly makes guitar talkbox noises with mouth*

:cool:

tBwCfzxvXaox.gif

These Alan Partridge gifs really come in handy :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Desolation Row. Nice way to wind down on a Friday evening.

• Advertisement

Thomas ‘Dobly’, followed by Pigbag - good man, John :)

Great band, Cousteau :)

Good to hear another one of their songs, rather than the usual ‘Last Good Day Of The Year’.

The Delta Rhythm Boys and the Golden Gate Quartet. Cant beat the trusty ole favourites!

And a bit of Buster Bloodvessel. Good show!

John discussing the debate about the first ever rap song, whether it was Blondie or someone else. Surprised he failed to mention The Preacher and the Bear by the Jubilaires among others as its a song i first heard on creedon many years ago and is often mentioned as been a very early forerunner of what became rap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I like how he went from playing a song from the 1930s taking the piss out of parents for calling their children after Franklin D Roosevelt to a modern song that probably would be more suited to 2FM.

Fontaines DC singer sounds way too like Dustin for my liking, half expecting him to have a go at Twink or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Bus Boy

2 lovely numbers from Mide Houlihan. One for the 'Turnip Head' playlist.

The lovely Cathy Davey. Is there a more under appreciated artist in the country? Great to hear her get some airplay.

Double dose o’ Suede to finish - good call!

The last song being ‘Golden’...sublime :)

John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine John Prine...

I think John is a fan :D

John does have a habit of repeating himself. Have heard him tell that Prine-Kristofferson story a few times at this stage. I always forget it anyway so no harm in the repeat!

John does have a habit of repeating himself. Have heard him tell that Prine-Kristofferson story a few times at this stage. I always forget it anyway so no harm in the repeat!

If you listen to him as frequently as I do, you do tire slightly sometimes of the same anecdotes/intros! Some examples...

Reminding the listeners that Colin Vearncombe aka Black died near Cark airport.

Always introducing First Aid Kit as “The Soderbergh sisters trading as...”

Referring to Elvis Costello as ‘Decky McManus’

:D

If you listen to him as frequently as I do, you do tire slightly sometimes of the same anecdotes/intros! Some examples...

Reminding the listeners that Colin Vearncombe aka Black died near Cark airport.

Always introducing First Aid Kit as “The Soderbergh sisters trading as...”

Referring to Elvis Costello as ‘Decky McManus’

:D

Ha yeah, the elvis one springs instantly to mind. My favourite is when he plays his beloved Golden Gate Quartet and regales us with the tale of him scouring New York for copies of their LPs which he then had to sell during hard times as a student in Cark. Like the true seanchai he is, he'll add some extra small detail each time. Kind of endearing really.

Ah...the wonderful and oh so talented Joan Armatrading. My favourite song of hers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

:rolleyes:Sweet Jeebus...........

• Advertisement

Coney Island Baby. Sublime.

Shipbuilding....what a song. Though gotta admit i've always liked the Robert Wyatt take a bit better, no disrespect Elvis....or Deccy as John will probably say!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

Shipbuilding....what a song. Though gotta admit i've always liked the Robert Wyatt take a bit better, no disrespect Elvis....or Deccy as John will probably say!

the unthanks do a nice version as well - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmeUw6Wf-T8

whatever76 wrote: »
    the unthanks do a nice version as well - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmeUw6Wf-T8

Thanks for the Unthanks! Never heard that before, good version.

Not forgetting Suede’s brilliant version, from the War Child charity album :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

I like how he went from playing a song from the 1930s taking the piss out of parents for calling their children after Franklin D Roosevelt to a modern song that probably would be more suited to 2FM.

Fontaines DC singer sounds way too like Dustin for my liking, half expecting him to have a go at Twink or something.

Once you hear it, there is no going back. My wife said the same thing when the broke in UK and it makes me chuckle every time.

Hopefully will hear some Bob Marley and the Wailers tonight in tribute to Bunny (RIP).

Hadn't heard about Bunny Wailer. Sad news. Should end show with Bunnys superlative 10 minute version of This Train. RIP.

What’s with John suddenly playing tons of Oasis in the last week or so?

Has one of them died?

• Advertisement

What’s with John suddenly playing tons of Oasis in the last week or so?

Has one of them died?

Havent heard but a piece of me dies everytime i hear that awful dirge wonderwall.

Advertisement