Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a fan of the John Creedon show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭RINO87

Tubular Bells!!! What treat hearing that on the radio.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Heard a while ago Springsteen wrote Hungry Heart for The Ramones and his manager told him to record it himself.

It does have a bit of a Ramones sound to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭gluppers

Bohemian Like You The Dandy Warhols

Why is Creddo always playing this terrible tune, along with something from The Eels, The National, The The, The Black Keys,

Creedo does have some gems now and then but bygod he does have some that he plays to death, like the ones you mention.....how many more times are we to hear "long hot summer" by the style council before September for example?! Add "Here comes the Summer" by the undertones, and "Going South" by the 4 of us to those summer staples actually too.

He latches on to a CMAT tune for weeks at a time..."Whatever's Inconvenient" has been played every day for the last while....

Don't forget the old bankers like Future Islands and War on Drugs. Both good bands but they have more than two tunes each!!

• Registered Users Posts: 72,622 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

‘Bohemian Like You’ does seem to be the curse of middle-aged Smashy and Nicey-type dj’s, because to them it’s an ‘indie band’ and it sounds like ‘Brown Sugar”.

Gareth O’Callaghan used to play it to death as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The first few songs tonight

Like this Karen Casey and Niamh Dunne track.

Ray Cuddihy playing some good songs tonight.

#PostEurovisionDepression

Ray has been playing a blinder so far this week. Love when he gets this slot. Waaaaaayyyyyy prefer him to Fiachna as a stand in

Think Hothouse Flowers are touring now.

Always thought 'Echo Beach' was a Blondie song.

That Shiv song is brilliant.

Post edited by Say Your Number on

• Advertisement

Incredible two hours again there this evening. Ray is having a fantastic week. The best it's been in a long long time

Pains me to say it, but Ray is better than John. Creedo seems to stick to the same old songs every night - when he pairs up two songs from a specific time and place, it'll always be the same ones. And when he goes for The Jam, who have a huge back catalogue, guaranteed it'll be either 'A Town Called Malice' or 'That's Entertainment'.

At least Ray plays more of a variation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

But after a while, our Ray here might settle into his patterns. And Creedo does have other ways of connecting to the audience other the choice of music. Creedon has his bóthrín na smaointe and Cuddihy has sos beags. I think I prefer the former. That said I agree re Creedo, he can be a bit repetitive.

Yep agree with both of you here...as I said a few posts ago John has become extremely predictable, I've noticed this more so the last couple of months ...to the ones I and you mentioned you can add the same old same old from Desmond Dekker, the Inkspots, Stornoway etc... all good groups with a huge catalogue to choose from but we get same old, same old. Oh and that bloody Padraig Jack song about the Aran Islands...

And again as you said, we continue to tune in, as John has a great way about him and is massively enjoyable to listen to as a host. I've often mentioned here and in other threads, that I way prefer the music on the Mystery Train, but JK is just not as engaging. I actually prefer that show when Peter Curtin is hosting , his selections are on another level :)

Ray tho, is also coming across as a true pro, is connecting with his audience and has some great tunes to boot. Ray has been championing Irish music for years, and to me, he seems genuinely full of gratitude to be in the lucky position he has, is grasping the opportunity and taking it seriously, but with (what sounds like anyway) a smile.

Plus you just know that John is itching to play John Prine as soon as he gets back. 😁

Yeah but Ray Cuddihy has this occasional public holiday slot where he tries to equate Irish Trad with hip hop and the like. Maybe he's trying to be hip and cool but personally I think it's just silly stuff. I play a bit of trad myself and I can't honestly see or want to see any connection between our trad music and what goes down in dance & night clubs.

But I'd say he's here for the long haul, anyone who's a bit of a gaelgeoir will get on well in RTE and he's a man to boot, by way of balancing out the shift to women presenters.

I think you might well be right and as noted above as regards things overall, as good as Creedo in different ways.

Wait a minute, who’s this amateur hospital radio DJ?

#CuddihyForeverCreedonNever

He did and all 🤣

• Advertisement

Surely John hasn’t become that predictable and is about to tell us for the 1,000th. time how the band America got their name.

Don't think I've heard a non Christmas song by Chris Rea.

One of the sunniest and hottest days of the year, and John is playing ‘You Want It Darker’ by Leonard Cohen.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Love the ending of that Paddy Casey song.

I was expecting Brendan O’Connor to jump in there and start talking.

:D

That Lorraine Nash song was very good.

I could take or leave the War On Drugs whenever I heard them on the radio, but I have to say I was highly impressed by their set at Glastonbury.

Consider me a convert. :)

One can never tire of ‘Celebrate’ by An Emotional Fish.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Yes, ironically that party won't ever be over.

Advertisement