Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

deposit question

Options
  • 31-08-2013 3:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi.
    Just wondering if somebody can give me advice or point me in the right direction.

So several months ago I was looking at a piece of jewellery which was 1200.

I called in a 3 weeks ago to buy it and the Price was 1700.
    I queried the price difference and was told that the first price was a sale price and was only for a brief period. I was paranoid about paying the 1700 and asked should I wait to see of it goes back down. I was told that if it does I can have it at the reduced price but then assured that there is no way the price would be reduced on that item again so I went away and paid a 500 euro deposit and was issued with a receipt saying the remaining balance is 1200.
    2 weeks later I log onto their website and, you guessed, the price has been reduced by 500 again.

Now I still didn't approach the shop in question and I fear that they will not give it to me at the reduced price.

Before approaching them I want to do some homework and educate myself on the topic.

I understand we agreed on a price but that was under the terms that the item will not be reduced to the old price again.

Can I cancel the order and get my deposit back?
    Am I entitled to the item at the reduced price?
    Can I cancel the order and get store credit?

I appreciate any replies.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Are there any T&Cs printed on your receipt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

OP for the love of, well €500, don't leave deposits with shops unless it's a one off item and you can afford to loose the money. Even a large chain is susceptible to the current economic climate.

For my 2 cents, I would say you are entitled to purchase item at what ever the prevailing price is when you have the rest of the money. I'm afraid I can't comment on the rest of your questions, but it seems to me, if there are price reductions, the item is not unique (why would they reduce an item that is essentially sold given a deposit) and therefore there is no loss to the seller, you may be able to get your deposit back. The $64,000 question as in most instances, is what does your contract say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Cd_doe

Thanks for the replies.

No there are no terms and conditions on the receipt.

There is no written contract. Just verbal. (My word and the 2 shop assistants)... maybe I am jumping the gun and when I approach them they will beg fair about it. As I said just want information before I do.

I am fairly annoyed with myself for taking their word on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭07734

the problem is that you have paid a deposit (and therefore agreed to purchase) the jewellery at the higher price, and afaik have no right to the lower price. you would be depending on the goodwill of the shop to get it for 1200.

i would go in and talk nicely to them, i would have thought that any reasonable person would let you have it for the lower price

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭camphor

07734 wrote: »
    the problem is that you have paid a deposit (and therefore agreed to purchase) the jewellery at the higher price, and afaik have no right to the lower price. you would be depending on the goodwill of the shop to get it for 1200.

i would go in and talk nicely to them, i would have thought that any reasonable person would let you have it for the lower price

Contracts for the sale of goods to the value of more than €12.70 must be in writing. The o/p is entitled to purchase at the new price or else get his money back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

camphor wrote: »
    Contracts for the sale of goods to the value of more than €12.70 must be in writing. The o/p is entitled to purchase at the new price or else get his money back.

I've never seen nor signed a written contract whenever I bought a pair of shoes or bought a bottle of wine. Where did you get this gem of information?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭07734

slimjimmc wrote: »
    I've never seen nor signed a written contract whenever I bought a pair of shoes or bought a bottle of wine. Where did you get this gem of information?

i was just going to ask that. i wonder if you could find a link to back that up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

I forget which statute it is, might even be the Sale of Goods Act, but you would have been given a reciept. There is however a departure from formailities in many cases.

IIRC it's the Statue of Fruads 1695

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭camphor

Statute of Frauds (Ireland) Act 1695 as amended by the Sale of goods Act 1893

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

camphor wrote: »
    Statute of Frauds (Ireland) Act 1695 as amended by the Sale of goods Act 1893

Thanks. €12.70 is a ridiculous low sum in modern terms but I bet it was a seriously substantial sum in 1695, and possibly a weeks wages (or more) even in 1893.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Cd_doe

Just a quick update... went into the shop and didn't even have to ask... as soon as I handed my receipt I was informed that it had been reduced.

Panicked over nothing. Goes to show that you can actually trust people.The assistant was a+ in fairness to her.

Anyway thanks for the replies. It's good to have the knowledge for future occasions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Another example of people raising an issue before they even contact the shop or supplier involved. There seems to be a rush to ask online rather than simply asking in store. This leads to all kinds of barrack room lawyers with tuppence worths to throw around, or doom merchants with tales of woe.
    Always talk to the business first! In the vast majority of issues it ends there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Another example of people raising an issue before they even contact the shop or supplier involved. There seems to be a rush to ask online rather than simply asking in store. This leads to all kinds of barrack room lawyers with tuppence worths to throw around, or doom merchants with tales of woe.
    Always talk to the business first! In the vast majority of issues it ends there!

OP wanted to get some advice before approaching the shop.

Read the thread fully and get down of high condescending horse!

Glad you didn't get stumped with the increased price OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Well I hope you never need any advice on Boards with an attitude like that. You can't always trust businesses to act honestly and it is certainly better to go in with Boards acquired knowledge on a subject (for future in-depth studying if there is a potential issue), than no knowledge at all.

Advertisement