Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving a line in a commerical building

Options
  • 31-08-2013 5:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Have a question that I need help with the specifics of. I'll outline this by saying I'm quite handy with this kind of stuff, but I'm completely lacking the correct terminology to search online for what I'm looking to do.

Basically, we've got a business in shared office space, and we're moving from one area to another. We don't want to call in our internet guy to move the line, because I'm aware it's a straightfoward process - however, this leads to the issue I outline above re: correct terminology.

Basically the building has a comms room, and in that is a bank of termination points. Our DSL used to be marked with a label, but it seems to have fallen off, so I'm not sure where it is any more. What's the easiest process to identify our active line (I'll be doing this at night when nobody else is in the building)?

My limited knowledge on this subject tells me that plugging an analog phone into the jack our DSL comes through and playing a continuous tone through it will enable me to find it on the termination points using another analog phone with stripped wires and checking each point until I locate the sound coming through.

Before I do that though (indeed, if I'm even correct in my line of thinking), I want to make sure what the correct process is for checking each pair. Is it simply a case of making a connection with the (lack of terminology warning) sticky outy metal bits, or have i to directly contact the copper wiring itself for each pair? Similarly, do I need to do this with both wires of the stripped jack, or will one suffice?

For making the actual connection, I have a tool for that here, so I'm okay on that front, it's just the identification process I need a hand with

I know I probably sound like an idiot here, but I swear I have a reasonable idea of the process (seriously... I think), but would like to refine that knowledge either by getting the correct words to search on youtube/google or through someone here lending a hand.

If this is vague, I apologise, and I can post pics tomorrow evening if that would make it easier to decipher

Hoping someone knows what the hell I'm on about!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Plug a phone into the ADSL jack (RJ11 I presume) and call your mobile on it. This will identify the number if you don't already know it. Then bring the phone to the comms room and if possible borrow one of these:

027-7002.jpg

Which should plug into the test contacts on a krone block like this:

termination%20block.jpg?id=11061839

connected to the phone and plug it into the pairs near where you think your line is and just dial your mobile until you hit the right one.

If you can't get the jack pictured above (can be bought here though I'm sure they can be bought in any comms supplier like RS or Farnell etc.)then just punch the phone lead onto the pairs. Remember that it's not a good idea to go across different pairs and that each number on the Krone block represents 1 pair.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

In the comms room there should be a patch pane in one of the 19" racks. This panel will have a number similar to the wall number where the dsl was located. Move that numbered port to the new location port number.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Cheers lads! Much appreciated

On a dry loop for the DSL, I assume that complicates things with regards to calling my mobile?

Also, it's a 66 block rather than Krone (in north america) - again any additional complications there?

• Advertisement

Got it sorted guys. The dry loop does actually have a dial tone, so I managed to find the ANAC number for the provider and can use that, along with a homemade alligator clip beige box at the termination point in the comms room to trace for the right line

Update: All done and working fine! Lacking a punchdown tool, so my actual wiring is far from ideal, but the line is working fine and at full throttle, so I don't seem to have introduced much (or any) noise into things. My concern is that if a tech happens to be in and working on it at any stage before i get a lend of a punch down tool, they might inadvertantly knock me loose - but that's no biggie really I suppose.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Advertisement