Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dropping French 5th year

• 31-08-2013 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

hi so i started fifth year yesterday and talked to my french teacher about dropping down to pass. She told me that she thought i wouldnt carry on with french since i struggled with the basics in TY last year and that if i was sure i wouldnt need it for college then i would be better off dropping it completely. But i seriously dont know what to do because what if i change my mind about the course i want to do (at the moment im think about something with art), and i would have to pick up geography or biology and im not sure if theyre even in the same band as french? i keep overthinking everything and wondering if im really that bad at french (even though i got an E in the junior cert). Advice please!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

hi so i started fifth year yesterday and talked to my french teacher about dropping down to pass. She told me that she thought i wouldnt carry on with french since i struggled with the basics in TY last year and that if i was sure i wouldnt need it for college then i would be better off dropping it completely. But i seriously dont know what to do because what if i change my mind about the course i want to do (at the moment im think about something with art), and i would have to pick up geography or biology and im not sure if theyre even in the same band as french? i keep overthinking everything and wondering if im really that bad at french (even though i got an E in the junior cert). Advice please!!

Going to be honest here , if you got an E in the jc and then she thought you were struggling with basics in TY i don't see you managing too well in leaving cert!
    it is possible that you could work really hard at it and possibly improve but the amount of time needed to do this could counteract doing very well in your stronger subjects, some subjects are just not suited to certain people , irish for example was not my thing! :p
    if i was you i would drop to pass , hopefully it won't take up too much of your time and then you have kept your options open. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 stressedred

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    Going to be honest here , if you got an E in the jc and then she thought you were struggling with basics in TY i don't see you managing too well in leaving cert!
    it is possible that you could work really hard at it and possibly improve but the amount of time needed to do this could counteract doing very well in your stronger subjects, some subjects are just not suited to certain people , irish for example was not my thing! :p
    if i was you i would drop to pass , hopefully it won't take up too much of your time and then you have kept your options open. :)

thank you for your advice!! french is definitely my weak subject. I'm actually just going to go ahead and drop it if i can do a subject i like instead. It isn't worth the stress :p worst comes to worst i'll just have to do pass french. It'll be a lot of stress if that's the case but hopefully it wont come to that! thanks again :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Make sure you don't need French, even at OL, for college.
    If you do decide to take OL, make sure you know the course.

For college I pretty much have my heart set on doing something artistic, though I'm not sure what exactly, and art colleges don't need a third language. I guess the only reason I took it on was so I could have a sense of security. I just need the right subject to change to now!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

I'd definitely advise you to find a course. Do more research. You don't want to make the mistake and then find yourself in a tough situation regarding colleges. Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Heyy,
    If you're considering First Year Art & Design in NCAD at all, you need to sit either a Language subject or Art. Just keep that in mind!

I'm just throwing that out there, so if you haven't Art as a subject, it'd be good to keep on OL French, get the bare pass and be accepted into Art. ;)

okay so i talked more to my french teacher and asked about possibly doing pass (because the only other subjects available are biology or accounting) and she stongly advices me to drop it. The pass class is taught with higher level and she told others who wanted to drop down to pass that shell be teaching the class as a higher level class because people want to get A1s and so on. Would biology be too hard of a subject to do with History, Physics and Art?? or is it do-able??

okay so i talked more to my french teacher and asked about possibly doing pass (because the only other subjects available are biology or accounting) and she stongly advices me to drop it. The pass class is taught with higher level and she told others who wanted to drop down to pass that shell be teaching the class as a higher level class because people want to get A1s and so on. Would biology be too hard of a subject to do with History, Physics and Art?? or is it do-able??

It would, of course, be do-able but at the same time you don't want to limit yourself by not doing a third language. That would be my advice to you anyway.
    Over the weekend, research every possible art course you're interested in and see if they require a third language.
    Also, what if you decide that you want to do something else with your life mid 6th year and then find out that it requires French? For example, my friend wanted to do Engineering his whole time in 2nd level and decided in 6th year that he'd prefer something in Sports Science.

It would, of course, be do-able but at the same time you don't want to limit yourself by not doing a third language. That would be my advice to you anyway.
    Over the weekend, research every possible art course you're interested in and see if they require a third language.
    Also, what if you decide that you want to do something else with your life mid 6th year and then find out that it requires French? For example, my friend wanted to do Engineering his whole time in 2nd level and decided in 6th year that he'd prefer something in Sports Science.

i know i just find the thought of french horrible. i really cant grasp the language after 4years (partly to do with lack of study 1-4yr). Especially now that ordinary level are mixed in with higher level. I'm just really worried that if i do keep it up i'll be a big stressball over the next two years focusing all my time on french instead of all my other subjects. And dont get me started on the oral! If there was a seperate pass class i'd be more at ease but there isnt and i've seriously been on the verge of a breakdown the past two days over this. (i'm really indecisive and worry too much for my own good).

i know i just find the thought of french horrible. i really cant grasp the language after 4years (partly to do with lack of study 1-4yr). Especially now that ordinary level are mixed in with higher level. I'm just really worried that if i do keep it up i'll be a big stressball over the next two years focusing all my time on french instead of all my other subjects. And dont get me started on the oral! If there was a seperate pass class i'd be more at ease but there isnt and i've seriously been on the verge of a breakdown the past two days over this. (i'm really indecisive and worry too much for my own good).

I understand what you're saying but that was how it was taught in our year (H and O level in the same class) Our teacher handled it very well so I would still advise to stay there for a few weeks at least and see how you handle it rather than stress over it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement