Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Very good read Re. accidents and stats on Irish roads..

• 31-08-2013 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

SOURCE

And the main causes of crashes;
    Gardaí said today that a provisional analysis of motorcycle collisions since 2011 shows that almost 4 out of 5 involved another vehicle, with 50 riders and pillion passengers losing their lives since then.
    The four most common types of collision involving motorcyclists and other vehicles were:
    A motorcyclist overtaking another vehicle turning right, resulting in the motorcyclist colliding head on into the side of the turning vehicle. 6 out of 13 motorcycle fatalities were involved in this type of collision this year.
    A motorcyclist colliding head on with an oncoming vehicle while the motorcycle was overtaking a vehicle
    A motorcyclist losing control while taking a corner and crossing into the path of an oncoming vehicle resulting in a head on collision.
    Another vehicle turning or driving through a junction / joining a main road from a minor road and colliding with a motorcyclist.
    Two age groups in particular feature in motorcycle fatalities – 26 to 30 at 32 per cent and 40-50 at 18 per cent.
    More than half of the fatal collisions involving a motorcyclist occurred on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, typically from midday to 6pm.

I'd love to post this in other motoring forum for car drivers to read too, since they kill a lot of us bikers but I'm sure the message would be lost on most.

Have a safe ride people.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Points 2 and 3 are almost entirely a motorcyclists fault, while point 1 is a mix of both but a motorcyclist in this position should be extra cautious. Only point 4 can have the majority of blame placed on car drivers. Those are startling results considering we all bash on about how car drivers are out to kill us. Either way, it's more of a reason to stay safe out on the road, and be extra vigilant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭HamSambo

Jaysus lads mind yourselves. I'm hearing a lot of horror stories lately with a friend of mine killed in a head on collision with a thick in a Passat who was over the white line on a rural road 6 weeks ago and another friend who destroyed his leg just yesterday when another w**ker pulled out under him from a gateway.
    Don't listen to that demon on your shoulder who's telling you to roll on the power, we all hear him from time to time.
    Stay safe lads
    Dan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

And to the idiots zig zagging through traffic......careful lads....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

The 13 fatal figure was back at the beginning of July. It's 19 now. MAG covered the report at the time.

Motorcyclist fatalities increase, drivers urged to “think bike”
    http://www.magireland.org/2013/news-media/drivers-urged-to-think-bike/

Meanwhile RSA figures suggest as many as one in four collisions are the result of distracted driving. The majority of these would be people phoning/texting while driving. On Friday I was behind a woman in a focus who drove at least a hundred yards on the wrong side of the road. As I eventually went past her, she was still tapping on the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Had a few close incidents in situations listed in Makikomi's post. And I'm sure everyone here knows a few people that weren't so lucky.
    Take her handy

• Advertisement
Advertisement