Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of Buying - Advice Needed!

Options
  • 31-08-2013 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi all,

As a result of my never-ending internet searches of daft.ie, I have recently come across a couple of properties that I am very much interested in buying. There are several thing that are holding me back from investigating things further:

1. Although I have a permanent job, I want to have the flexibility to be able to move should I get itchy feet.
    2. Neither I nor anybody in my family can give me any advice on the perils of mortgages etc.
    3. I'm unsure whether, if on a First Time Buyer mortgage, it is possible to let a property?

Purely through a series of mindful google searches, I have gathered the following information:

- The cost of the property = 100,000
    - A mortgage over 25 years = approx. 500/month
    - Similar properties have been let for approx 700/month.

Taking into account fees, taxes, maintenance etc. is it relatively safe to assume that this property would indeed pay for itself?

I would really appreciate some/any advice on this matter as I am a complete and utter amateur when it comes to property.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Dr. Dodger

acorn1984 wrote: »
    1. Although I have a permanent job, I want to have the flexibility to be able to move should I get itchy feet.

Hi OP, I'm afraid I stopped reading after this sentence and it's probably where you're interest should have stopped tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

You need to consider all the additional expenses that come with owning a house
    House insurance, life insurance, property tax and maintenance on the property to name a few.

Also, if at a future stage you decide to rent the property-you will pay over 30% of your rental income in taxes.

So looking at all of the above-maybe, not such a good idea for you at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

And unless you have a buy to let mortgage, your mortgage company will probably have a clause in the mortgage agreement prohibiting letting the property.

Have you looked into all the laws and regulations of renting a property? The RTA 2004, Housing Standards for rented Accommodation and your rights (very few) and obligations as a landlord.
    I am a complete and utter amateur when it comes to property

If you rent out the property, you will be considered as a professional landlord and any errors due to insufficient knowledge of the laws could cost you in the region of 4 or 5 figure penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 acorn1984

Thanks for the responses.
    Dr. Dodger wrote: »
    Hi OP, I'm afraid I stopped reading after this sentence and it's probably where you're interest should have stopped tbh

Yes, I was expecting a comment along these lines. Perhaps I should reframe what I meant: although I am currently in a permanent job, I may be in a position in the future whereby I will need to relocate for career purposes.
    Lyn256 wrote: »
    You need to consider all the additional expenses that come with owning a house
    House insurance, life insurance, property tax and maintenance on the property to name a few.

Also, if at a future stage you decide to rent the property-you will pay over 30% of your rental income in taxes.

So looking at all of the above-maybe, not such a good idea for you at the moment

Thanks, Lyn256. I hadn't considered life assurance in all of this.

In all seriousness, I am not looking to make a profit out of renting in the future, nor am I foolish enough to flippantly embark on a lifelong mortgage commitment without giving it the due consideration. What I would like to know is whether, taking into account current property prices and a brisk rental market, how plausible would it be to purchase my own place?

Advertisement