Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gun licences

Options
  • 31-08-2013 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi anybody know much about gun licences im confused by the restricted/non restricted licence.i get that some guns are deemed restricted but what does that actuali mean for the owner.their does seem to be anything on the net as regards changing stocks on your gun.i think my licence is restricted atm but am clueless as to what this allows me to do and what disadvantages.i have for having such a license?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

If you have a restricted licence for a shotgun it will normally be a pump or semi without a restricter so it can take more than 3 cartridges or a rifle it will be a semi auto centrefire.

What have you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭johnogog88

Ive a maverick 88 mate im unsure if the license is restricted it dosent say anywhere?:-/.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Then you have an unrestricted licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Yeah if it doesnt say it you dont have it! What do you want to do to the gun?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

If you have a restricted licence it will say it on it, You would have had to tick that box when applying on the fca1. It would go before the Cs instead of the super and in alot of cases you would have had to have an interview, not in all.
    If you changed the stock to a pistol grip type stock etc... short barrel etc... without a restricted licence you would then be in possession of an unlicensed restricted firearm. The same goes for the plug in the magazine.
    [IMG][/img]i72i.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Advertisement

Thanks for reply im looking to put on a thumbhole stock blaclhawk make I was talking to a few who say u can do that with unrestricted license cus its thumbhole and does not adjust swivel or amything it has a pistol grip built in but its all joined as one fixed unit.

Like this guys.

Change the stock to this thumbhole stock.

Any opinions?:-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

As the lads have said if the licence does not say restricted then it's not.

As for the "thumbhole". You can try and get it, but it's stretching the meaning of the word thumbhole.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

johnogog88 wrote: »
    Any opinions?:-)

image_zpsec3b5c7c.jpg

It's not that far removed from the Blaser R8 Professional Success Stock

image_zpsb24a2b4c.jpg

Which is marketed as a Thumbhole, but in saying that Marketing and Reality are strangers that pass in the night at times.

:Edit. I'm still loving the Blaser.... Counting down the days..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

OP, have you actually fired a shotgun with this type of stock?

bravestar wrote: »
    OP, have you actually fired a shotgun with this type of stock?

No have not used a stock like this ever looked at some reviews all seem to be good as far as recoil reduction and usabilty.:-)

Yeh I know what you mean thanks for post.

No have not used a stock like this ever looked at some reviews all seem to be good as far as recoil reduction and usabilty.:-)

I have used pistol grip shotguns and pushing it "thumbhole" designs before and for any shooting discipline available in this country I would not recommend them to be honest. Unless you have a medical reason for needing something like that i wouldnt bother, but its your money mate.

Personally I use on of these on my remington 870 pump... ugly as sin but best stock I ever used to be honest. Not sure if they make them for the maverick 88 though.
    166_908_popup.jpg

Looks nice mate im looking for something like that not to tactical looking.would u reckon id have to inform super about a thumbhole stock as licence is unrestricted.

Looks nice mate im looking for something like that not to tactical looking.would u reckon id have to inform super about a thumbhole stock as licence is unrestricted.

Thumbhole stock should be no problem, there is no mention of them, only pistol grip stocks. That being said and im open to correction but I dont think the term "pistol grip" is actually defined.

bravestar wrote: »
    Thumbhole stock should be no problem, there is no mention of them, only pistol grip stocks. That being said and im open to correction but I dont think the term "pistol grip" is actually defined.

Yeh there dosent really seem to be alot of info out their regards to gun modifyn wats allowed on unrestricted etc.lyk most things in this country full.of complications.:-D

Which is marketed as a Thumbhole, but in saying that Marketing and Reality are strangers that pass in the night at times.

:Edit. I'm still loving the Blaser.... Counting down the days..[/quote]

Had you to inform si of this aussie and have u unrestricted licence?thanks

Had you to inform si of this aussie and have u unrestricted licence?thanks

That bridge is 2 months away from being crossed. The Blaser is still on a long list in a German factory...

Just make a phone call or stop in and have a chat with your local firearms officer.

No stock is worth the hassle, and blokes on the old interweb giving advice are not the ones who will have their licence on the line.

• Advertisement

Yeh gona make a phone call mate dont tnk

Its wise t take pples advice either.:-)

Its wise t take pples advice either.:-)

I was referring to my own advice* :pac:

* legal disclaimer is here within

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

He wouldn't have to do anything with regard his rifle as that part of the law only applies to shotguns not rifles.

juice1304 wrote: »
    He wouldn't have to do anything with regard his rifle as that part of the law only applies to shotguns not rifles.
    Where do u source that kinda info cant find nothing on the law regarding makn changes to a gun ?

SI 21/2008 as amended by SI337/2009.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

for that cass.unfortunatly nothing as to what stocks would be ok on unrestricted license jus says restricted telescopic foldabe or pistol grip.

It's telling you what you can't have so anything other than those is fine.

As Blay said the law is such that it lists all the relevant topics/items and anything else is either unrelated, not part of the topic or in a separate list of it's own.

All the topics listed in both SI are what would make a firearm restricted. Anything and they are unrestricted. The last issue is the Super's decision. If he/she deems it military/assault looking they may class these "thumbhole" stocks as restricted regardless of whether it's listed as such, and then it's either a court case or you don't get it.

• Advertisement

unfortunatly nothing as to what stocks would be ok on unrestricted license jus says restricted telescopic foldabe or pistol grip.

I don't know how long you have been shooting for, but threads turn up like this on a all to often basis with a massive grey area in question. More often than not there is still confusion after the thread has run its course as the legislation is as clear as mud.

Advertisement