Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guidelines when conversing with public figures on boards.

Options
2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

You're moving the goalposts again. "Negative comment" is a very general term. As has already been explained to you, criticism where it's due tends to be fine. Abuse, insults, mockery of the person? Not so good.
    Due to your repeated refusal to answer a simple question I am going to have to assume that you were in fact mocking me as it initially appeared to me.

With that in mind and it was completely unprovoked are you really in a position to be preaching about "being a dick", acting mature and so on?

Czarcasm wrote: »
    I don't think IO was mocking you personally BB. I think IO was pointing out that your post was confusing and obtuse. That's not a personal criticism, it's a criticism of your post.

There is "mature", non-"being a dick" way to do this. It goes a little something like this "your post was confusing and obtuse". Which would be more fitting behaviour for a moderator of the site when a user is merely asking questions I'm sure you would agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Czarcasm wrote: »
    I don't think IO was mocking you personally BB. I think IO was pointing out that your post was confusing and obtuse. That's not a personal criticism, it's a criticism of your post.

Without context you have construed it as a personal criticism, whereas other people reading it will use common sense and reasonable deduction to conclude that IO was referring to your post and not to you personally.

See? Context is important, and Moderators and above have to make a judgement call when a user reports a post they find objectionable. Have you reported any of the posts you find objectionable and given the Moderators the opportunity to make that judgement call?

I think this explains it perfectly. Unfortunately something tells me BB won't be happy to accept this.

Edit: Hate to say i told you so but.....

bumper234 wrote: »
    I think this explains it perfectly. Unfortunately something tells me BB won't be happy to accept this.

Edit: Hate to say i told you so but.....

If I have a stammer and try to talk to you and you parody me by talking in a exaggerated, stuttery way by your logic you aren't "being a dick" or being immature you are just parodying stammering.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

If I have a stammer and try to talk to you and you parody me by talking in a exaggerated, stuttery way by your logic you aren't "being a dick" or being immature you are just parodying stammering.

Yeah, but that's not what happened here. Comparing the two is abhorrent, to be honest.

Are you just trying to deflect attention away from yourself because your argument didn't go the way you wanted it to?

• Advertisement

Yeah, but that's not what happened here.
    Could you then explain what happened then?
    Are you just trying to deflect attention away from yourself because your argument didn't go the way you wanted it to?
    Argument? What argument??? I was perusing the Ray Darcy thread and it raised a question for me on boards policy. Unfortunately I can't get a straight answer, mostly just smoke and mirrors about it being banned to insult public people on boards when I have never seen this played out in reality. Complete mixed-messages, quite frustrating actually.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I was perusing the Ray Darcy thread and it raised a question for me on boards policy. Unfortunately I can't get a straight answer, mostly just smoke and mirrors about it being banned to insult public people on boards when I have never seen this played out in reality. Complete mixed-messages, quite frustrating actually.

Why didn't you ask your question in the Feedback thread about that issue then?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057022529

What does it have to do with the BNP, with Tom Cruise, with anything you've been asking about in this thread?

Why didn't you ask your question in the Feedback thread about that issue then?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057022529 ?

Because it's a seperate issue, obviously.
    What does it have to do with the BNP, with Tom Cruise, with anything you've been asking about in this thread?
    I was providing examples as a way to aid the people who have the answers to understand my query.

I was providing examples as a way for the people who have the answers to understand my query.

How's that working out for you?

How's that working out for you?
    Not a mind reader and you can read the same responses just the same as me so not really sure what the point of your question is.

• Advertisement

I was perusing the Ray Darcy thread and it raised a question for me on boards policy. Unfortunately I can't get a straight answer, mostly just smoke and mirrors about it being banned to insult public people on boards when I have never seen this played out in reality. Complete mixed-messages, quite frustrating actually.

Make your mind up. Is it one issue or another?

Not a mind reader and you can read the same responses just the same as me so not really sure what the point of your question is.

Note to self: BB does not do sarcasm.

Note to self: BB does not do sarcasm.
    Note to bumper: Publishing on a public message board is not a "note to self".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

There is "mature", non-"being a dick" way to do this. It goes a little something like this "your post was confusing and obtuse". Which would be more fitting behaviour for a moderator of the site when a user is merely asking questions I'm sure you would agree.

There are a couple of issues with your post BB-

1) Maturity or lack thereof is a judgement call. It seems you are unfamiliar with the meme. This happened to me once too when I assumed a user was referring to Sean Sherlock as a hairy japanese bastard. When it was explained within context that it was an internet meme and not actually a personal criticism of Sean Sherlock, the post made far more sense, because now I understood the context.

2) When posting in Feedback or any other forum besides the forums they moderate, Moderators are ordinary posters. Their Moderator title is meaningless outside the forums they moderate, ie- they are not Moderators of the site, they are Moderators of the forums they moderate.

3) I don't think we're going to agree on a whole lot BB tbh as your questions were answered numerous times by numerous posters in numerous different ways to try and help you understand the concepts of context and common sense, yet you continue to ignore those answers and shift the goalposts again to pose yet another hypothetical scenario.

You could post hypothetical scenarios all day and argue over semantics and it would still achieve nothing, whereas reporting specific posts you find objectionable, WHEN you find them objectionable (as opposed to going searching forums for examples of things to object to!), will prove a far more useful endeavour.

Make your mind up. Is it one issue or another?
    Make my mind up on what? My query is IMO quite clear in the OP. In fact, it is all the more so due to the hypothethical example you seem to have a problem with for reasons best known to yourself.

Not entirely sure why you are so confused. I was reading the Ray Darcy thread. That got me thinking. A question was raised in my head. I asked it here.

Not entirely sure why you are so confused.

I'm not confused at all. I've answered every question you've posed on this issue.
    I was reading the Ray Darcy thread. That got me thinking. A question was raised in my head. I asked it here.

You asked one question here. You got an answer. You asked a slightly different question. You got another answer. You changed the wording again. You received another reply. Ad infinitum.

I'm not confused at all. I've answered every question you've posed on this issue.

You asked one question here. You got an answer. You asked a slightly different question. You got another answer. You changed the wording again. You received another reply. Ad infinitum.

I'm afraid you are lacking understanding if you can't tell the difference between this thread and the Ray Darcy one.

Oh and don't forget, got mocked, got preached to by the person who was doing the mocking about "mockery".

stage 3 is the mocking took the thread off topic
    stage 4 is thread locked.

I'm afraid you are lacking understanding if you can't tell the difference between this thread and the Ray Darcy one.

Oh and don't forget, got mocked, got preached to by the person who was doing the mocking about "mockery".

stage 3 is the mocking took the thread off topic
    stage 4 is thread locked.

And the circle of the thread's life is complete. You don't like the answers, you you try to discredit the person who gave you the answers. Bravo. Kept me entertained for two hours, I suppose.

Note to bumper: Publishing on a public message board is not a "note to self".

fry-can-t-tell-meme-generator-can-t-tell-if-sarcasm-or-not-411167.jpg

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

OK, time to lock this trainwreck up.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement