Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using deposits

Options
  • 31-08-2013 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Are there rules or guidelines on companies or sole traders taking deposits against them using these deposits for the day to day operations of the company or trading firm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Not as far as I'm aware. Is the deposit refundable if the transaction doesn't go ahead? If yes, then just make sure your cashflow can cover for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

mrjoneill wrote: »
    Are there rules or guidelines on companies or sole traders taking deposits against them using these deposits for the day to day operations of the company or trading firm.

There are specific rules for the likes of solicitors that require the money to go into client accounts. Some (not a lot) get into trouble for using this money.

I'm guessing you're not a solicitor or the like :)

If the deposit is refundable it would be best not to use it or you could risk being accused of reckless trading if you could not refund the monies. Probably unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭mrjoneill

If the deposit is refundable it would be best not to use it or you could risk being accused of reckless trading if you could not refund the monies.

Are there regulations on this or accountancy practice rules on this?

I’m looking for information regard a company going belly up after taking deposits for a period to keep it afloat where there is an unlikelihood it could provide service to the depositers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I'd imagine that's more covered by trading while insolvent.

Advertisement