Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

present for serious basketball fan

• 31-08-2013 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hey all,
    I'm a little outta my league here - I was a basketball fan years ago.... back before Jordan retired..... for the first time! Much and all as I still love baskteball, I know nothing about the professional world anymore....and I come seeking the help of someone who does! I have a very good friend of mine who's very much into basketball....NBA fan / quite successful regional coach/ etc who I'm trying to find a gift for. I don't really wanna spend more than about €100 max on but would like to get somethign meaningful.........basketball wise.....and since Ive no idea what that might be I come seeking your help. It doesnt matter if its less (I've seen the follwing.....any good??......The Book of Basketball: The NBA According to The Sports Guy ) or a little bit more..but Im just looking for a few 'thoughtful' suggestions for someone whose a little outta their league....
    Any hlep/ guidance appreciated....thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Fenwick wrote: »
    Hey all,
    I'm a little outta my league here - I was a basketball fan years ago.... back before Jordan retired..... for the first time! Much and all as I still love baskteball, I know nothing about the professional world anymore....and I come seeking the help of someone who does! I have a very good friend of mine who's very much into basketball....NBA fan / quite successful regional coach/ etc who I'm trying to find a gift for. I don't really wanna spend more than about €100 max on but would like to get somethign meaningful.........basketball wise.....and since Ive no idea what that might be I come seeking your help. It doesnt matter if its less (I've seen the follwing.....any good??......The Book of Basketball: The NBA According to The Sports Guy ) or a little bit more..but Im just looking for a few 'thoughtful' suggestions for someone whose a little outta their league....
    Any hlep/ guidance appreciated....thanks...

You can get a gold replica molten ball on a stand. I like it. Its not everyones taste though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭padraig_f

The Book of Basketball is fantastic. The main part of the book is the author ranking the top 100 players of all time, doing it in reverse order, with a bio on each. But it's not a dry history, Simmons is a colourful writer, and it's done in a very entertaining way.

There've been some other good books recently, Jack McCallum's Dream Team, and Phil Jackson's Eleven Rings (could be a good one if he's into coaching). Haven't read these myself yet, but they've got great reviews.

The only thing about The Book of Basketball is it's been out a few years now, and I wonder if he's read it? The other two I mention have just come out in the last year, so I'd say it's less likely he's read these.

Outside of books, I think it's hard to go wrong with an authentic jersey of someone's favourite team. I don't know who he follows, but maybe something like this one:
    http://shop.bulls.com/Chicago_Bulls_Jerseys/adidas_Derrick_Rose_Chicago_Bulls_Revolution_30_Swingman_Performance_Jersey-Red

Or if he was more of an NBA fan in his youth, they still sell some of the classic player ones:
    http://shop.bulls.com/Chicago_Bulls_Jerseys/adidas_Chicago_Bulls_Number_33_Scottie_Pippen_White_Hardwood_Classics_Swingman_Throwback_Basketball_Jersey

I think these make good presents because they're a bit of an indulgence to spend on yourself, but most basketball fans would love to have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

padraig_f wrote: »
    The Book of Basketball is fantastic. The main part of the book is the author ranking the top 100 players of all time, doing it in reverse order, with a bio on each. But it's not a dry history, Simmons is a colourful writer, and it's done in a very entertaining way.

There've been some other good books recently, Jack McCallum's Dream Team, and Phil Jackson's Eleven Rings (could be a good one if he's into coaching). Haven't read these myself yet, but they've got great reviews.

The only thing about The Book of Basketball is it's been out a few years now, and I wonder if he's read it? The other two I mention have just come out in the last year, so I'd say it's less likely he's read these.

Outside of books, I think it's hard to go wrong with an authentic jersey of someone's favourite team. I don't know who he follows, but maybe something like this one:
    http://shop.bulls.com/Chicago_Bulls_Jerseys/adidas_Derrick_Rose_Chicago_Bulls_Revolution_30_Swingman_Performance_Jersey-Red

Or if he was more of an NBA fan in his youth, they still sell some of the classic player ones:
    http://shop.bulls.com/Chicago_Bulls_Jerseys/adidas_Chicago_Bulls_Number_33_Scottie_Pippen_White_Hardwood_Classics_Swingman_Throwback_Basketball_Jersey

I think these make good presents because they're a bit of an indulgence to spend on yourself, but most basketball fans would love to have them.

I'll give +1 on Dream Team, a really good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Fenwick

Hey guys, sorry for delay! Thanks so much for the feedback and suggestions. Think I might go with one of the books for defo anyway and maybe try pick up something else too!
    Appreciate it.....and if you think of anything else please dont hesitate to add - wont be picking anything up for a few weeks! Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 andy8diz

You should check out buy NBA gear in Ireland on Facebook for cheap jerseys etc. Other then that all them books are excellent!

• Advertisement
Advertisement