Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I read earlier in the week that one of our craft brewers are going to be brewing a stout for them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Big Nasty wrote: »
    I read earlier in the week that one of our craft brewers are going to be brewing a stout for them.

That could be their stout for St.Patrick's Day.

1780781_10152055417089652_927493548_n.jpg

But it'd be a great one to have on the books for any micro if they could get a contract to supply all 30 of their planned pubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

That's the one. Was pretty sure it was Dungarvan but not positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Yep, just a one-off for Patrick's day. Brewed last Monday. Not sure if some of it will make it to the North. I'm sure Irishgoat will let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Chelon

So it's brewed *at* Adnams brewery *by* two different brewers, then shipped back to Dublin? Where's the logic in that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

It won't be shipped back to Dublin, as there's currently no pub to ship it back to. As stated, it's a one-off and will only be available Paddy's weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Chelon wrote: »
    So it's brewed *at* Adnams brewery *by* two different brewers, then shipped back to Dublin? Where's the logic in that?

Even it it was shipped back to Dublin, what's the problem? These type of collaborations are quite common and the results can be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Chelon

No problem, but thought it was a tad unusual. Could you see an English style ale being brewed here then being shipped over there?

No problem, but thought it was a tad unusual. Could you see an English style ale being brewed here then being shipped over there?

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

What, you mean Stout then ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Could you see an English style ale being brewed here then being shipped over there?
    Saw it; drank it :D
    logo-tsb.png
    TSB was created because The Porterhouse felt they needed an English-style bitter to serve in their pub in London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

irish_goat wrote: »
    Any updates folks?

They just announced they're going to start stocking Sixpoint Cans now too. Bengali Tiger is amazing stuff.

1898016_10152231912283151_782235791_n.png

oh sweet jebus!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

BeerNut wrote: »
    Saw it; drank it :D
    TSB was created because The Porterhouse felt they needed an English-style bitter to serve in their pub in London.

And the brewer had some prior experience of brewing English style ales and selling them into the south west of England.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

noby wrote: »
    Yep, just a one-off for Patrick's day. Brewed last Monday. Not sure if some of it will make it to the North. I'm sure Irishgoat will let us know.

I'm down for the beer fest in the IFSC again this year so I might not see any of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

it was actually the winning name in a poll. To me it reminded me of "Two Ton Tessie"
    DUN laoghaire Gazette 9 January 2014 competition British pub chain looking for a fitting name Win a chance to christen new Wetherspoon’s  Bairbre Ni Bhraonain British pub chain Wetherspoon’s are offering local readers from Blackrock and the surrounding area the opportunity to christen the first Wetherspoon’s pub in Ireland.

The new pub, due to open this April, will be located at 1Temple Road. This location has been a bar site for many years. To honour this tradition, the new owners have decided to poll readers Enterprisenews to find the most popular of four shortlisted names that have been chosen for the new pub by the management.

All four potential names are steeped in Blackrock history. The first option is Cary’s Fort. The corner of Carysfort Avenue held The Cary’s Fort Bar in the 1980s. The avenue leads to Carysfort Park, the thoroughfare of which was once the Stillorgan estate now long gone as is Stillorgan House. All that now remains is an obelisk and grotto near the top of Carysfort Avenue.

The second name is The Cross of the Rock; a nod to the small stone cross that marked the jurisdictional limit of the Lord Mayor of Dublin in medieval times. The Cross of the Rock has a face carved on one side and is thought to date back centuries to pre-Christian times. The Sign of the Ship is the third potential name for the new pub. This eponymous title honours a former 18th century vil- lage inn which provided the best clarets and spirits to the Anglo-Irish aristocracy of Blackrock.

Finally, the last name choice is The Three Tun Tavern. It relates to the tavern which stood in the last half of the 18th century. A tun is a large beer cask or barrel. The original Three Tun Tavern’s owner was called Bishop and the tavern survived until quite recently. Wetherspoon chairman Tim Martin said: “We are looking forward to opening our first pub in the Republic of Ireland, in Blackrock itself. “We choose our pub names very carefully to reflect the area itself and have selected four for consideration. “We are keen for Gazette readers to take part in the process of choosing the name that will adorn the Wetherspoon pub in their area.” Watford-based company JD Wetherspoon purchased the Tonic Bar in Temple Road, Carysfort Avenue, Blackrock for €1.5m and will now invest a further €1.5m developing the site before it opens for business in April. You can email The Gazette to vote for your preferred name at competitions@gazettegroup. com.
    http://issuu.com/robheigh/docs/dun_laoghaire_e48e91b6a9df08/6

Cary's Fort seems the obvious one I thought would win. Should be no more than 2 words except for maybe "the" being in it. NObody is going to say "are we heading down to the three tun tavern". Probably will be shortened to "the tavern" which sounds alright.

rubadub wrote: »
    Probably will be shortened to "the tavern" which sounds alright.
    It will be shortened to "Wetherspoon's", like every other JD Wetherspoon is.

It will be shortened to "Wetherspoon's", like every other JD Wetherspoon is.

Or 'spoons

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I wonder why they are stalling on the DL refurbishment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,675 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I was surprised at 60 staff to work in the JDW pub in Blackrock.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/retail-and-services/jd-wetherspoon-starts-1-5m-building-job-on-blackrock-pub-1.1705777

I realise it will be open for 90+ hours per week.

Is the premises big? It must be if they are spending 1.5m on renovations.

Good news for employment, although there may be displacement.

• Advertisement

Geuze wrote: »
    Is the premises big?
    Their places tend to be huge. From Streetview, Tonic looks like it occupied four former businesses along the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

It is pretty big, there was a cafe tacked on one side of it and a nightclub (awful) upstairs. They'll get plenty in for food if they keep the prices reasonable. Can't see much in the way of midweek trade, they'd get the usual collection of after work drinkers from the offices located there on a Friday night, but there isn't that many to be sharing them around. Blackrock (up til I left 2 yrs ago) has always had new premises opening and closing for food and drink. There are a load of pubs in there which compete for not that many punters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

ps..they had a pretty good sized covered area for smokers too out the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Their places tend to be huge. From Streetview, Tonic looks like it occupied four former businesses along the street.

Tonic used to be the Missing Swan, an awful hole of a place back in the 90s. A classic pub with a small bar and a snug where no woman would dare tread and an absolute dump of a main bar which had a stage for live music on Saturdays.
    Jaysus, what a hole of a venue.

I am pie wrote: »
    It is pretty big, there was a cafe tacked on one side of it and a nightclub (awful) upstairs. They'll get plenty in for food if they keep the prices reasonable. Can't see much in the way of midweek trade, they'd get the usual collection of after work drinkers from the offices located there on a Friday night, but there isn't that many to be sharing them around. Blackrock (up til I left 2 yrs ago) has always had new premises opening and closing for food and drink. There are a load of pubs in there which compete for not that many punters.

Blackrock puzzles me. Even up to as late as 2006, the likes of Sheehans used to be filled to the gills on the weekend. Before that, you'd be lucky to get into any pub in Blackrock at the weekend, due to the crowds.
    Nowadays, it's like a ghost town. Tonic got decent enough crowds but I haven't been there for a couple of years.
    Where the heck is everyone going?
    Head up the road and the Playwright is boarded up and the Wishing a Well is reasonably quiet. The Playwright used to be wedged at weekends in the 90s.
    It's quite sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

18-28 year olds all pre drinking at home?

That age group was pretty much the target market for those pubs in Blackrock 10-20 years ago.

18-28 year olds all pre drinking at home?

That age group was pretty much the target market for those pubs in Blackrock 10-20 years ago.

Another theory is that the demographic in that part of Dublin is very skewed. Monkstown, Blackrock, Carysfort has a very old population nowadays and they aren't really the types to go out drinking. All their children have grown up and moved away because, I can tell you this, not many people can afford house prices in that particular area of Dublin! :D

I'm in my mid late 30s now and grew up in the area and spent the weekends in Blackrock, Dalkey or Dun Laoghaire. Now I live out in toucan and head into the city centre on the rare occasion I go out. Nobody I know from that part of my life lives in the area either!

Heroditas wrote: »
    Monkstown, Blackrock, Carysfort has a very old population nowadays and they aren't really the types to go out drinking.
    If anything can change their minds it's Wetherspoon's. If I were retired and living in Blackrock, I'd be in for my 11am pint of €3 Adnam's Bitter every day I was capable of getting out of bed.

If anything can change their minds it's Wetherspoon's. If I were retired and living in Blackrock, I'd be in for my 11am pint of €3 Adnam's Bitter every day I was capable of getting out of bed.

They'll need parking spots for all the wheelchairs, walking frames and motorised scooters.
    The area is like a gigantic set from Cocoon! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Heroditas wrote: »
    Now I live out in toucan

I assume you are a Guinness drinker then :D

• Advertisement

I assume you are a Guinness drinker then :D

F**king auto-correct! That's meant to be Lucan.

Advertisement