Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

BeerNut wrote: »
    If anything can change their minds it's Wetherspoon's. If I were retired and living in Blackrock, I'd be in for my 11am pint of €3 Adnam's Bitter every day I was capable of getting out of bed.

It's funny, as all the English people I know find my excitement about Spoons hard to believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Ravelleman wrote: »
    It's funny, as all the English people I know find my excitement about Spoons hard to believe.

I am sure there a few Irish people who find amusement in English people getting excited about Temple bar :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Are there any other rumours of where they might open next?

I reckon they would do really well in dalkey, and I imagine some of the pubs there might be willing to sell now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

rubadub wrote: »
    In addition to Dún Laoghaire and Cork, Swords seems all but confirmed and I saw a rumour today of Waterford.

oblivious wrote: »
    I am sure there a few Irish people who find amusement in English people getting excited about Temple bar :)

At least Spoons is cheap. And I don't think they make any claims to authenticity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

I had an argument with someone a few weeks ago who said they sold "crap beer". After telling him how the last one I was in had 4 casks & a fridge full or world beer it turned out his beef was he couldn't get a pint of Heineken & had to "settle" for Stella

I'm guessing the same person probably pays far more on average for his Heineken than the average Weatherspoons punter pays for a far superior product

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

rubadub wrote: »

I heard Tallaght is on their radar ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

BMJD wrote: »
    I heard Tallaght is on their radar ;)
    Everywhere is on their radar. There will be branches in Dublin city centre too, if the price is right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The Foxhunter in Lucan must be on their radar. It ticks all their boxes.
    Also, it would be one in the eye for the Louis Fitzgerald group who opened their "craft beer and gastro" pub in the village that only has Galway Hooker and Five Lamps on tap (as well as the usual bland) :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Heroditas wrote: »
    The Foxhunter in toucan must be on their radar. It ticks all their boxes.
    Also, it would be one in the eye for the Louis Fitzgerald group who opened their "craft beer and gastro" pub in the village that only has Galway Hooker and Five Lamps on tap (as well as the usual bland) :rolleyes:

There goes that toucan again :p

• Advertisement

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    There goes that toucan again :p

F**king c**t of an Ipad. It's not as if I haven't typed Lucan enough times on it over the last year or two!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Ireland goes from being one of the few countries in the world not having English pubs to now having a chainfull.
    :-)

Ireland goes from being one of the few countries in the world not having English pubs to now having a chainfull.
    :-)

I suppose it's a fitting form of revenge, seeing that we've inflicted some God-awful Irish themed bars on the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I suppose it's a fitting form of revenge, seeing that we've inflicted some God-awful Irish themed bars on the world.

Especially in Lucan - tis full of them! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

The Toucan Arms.

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Especially in Lucan - tis full of them! :D

I hope you get served a pint of Coors Light this weekend! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Like this one in singapore.

The-Toucan-3--Garden-w-Outdoor-seating.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

The Foxhunter in Lucan must be on their radar. It ticks all their boxes.

Current owners paid a huge amount of money for it, so they'll probably be looking to sell it for half a huge amount. And half a huge amount is....

Lucan County (beside Lucan Spa Hotel) has a fantastic selection of beer, including one of the best selections of sours in Dublin. It helps that they let us (see sig) pick a lot of the beers the beers they stock.

The "current owners" are probably the bank so it'll be sold for a pittance.

Yeah I really need to get my bum out to the County. When I first moved out this direction I'd heard that it was a rough spot from some people but that's obviously nonsense.
    It's just a bit far to walk there but the bus stops right outside the door so I guess I need to visit it some time.
    What do they have on tap?

I think, though I'm not 100% sure, that it's still privately owned.

LC is served by a bus every 10 minutes, like you say outside the door. They have *a lot* of stuff, 2/3 of which is in bottles, for which they don't charge a premium.

Our monthly homebrew meets are in the lounge, and tbh it has taken a while to figure it out but now I can't recommend the place enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Chelon

Tube wrote: »
    I think, though I'm not 100% sure, that it's still privately owned.

LC is served by a bus every 10 minutes, like you say outside the door. They have *a lot* of stuff, 2/3 of which is in bottles, for which they don't charge a premium.

Our monthly homebrew meets are in the lounge, and tbh it has taken a while to figure it out but now I can't recommend the place enough.

Crucial question is do they do anything on draught?

Chelon wrote: »
    Crucial question is do they do anything on draught?

GH, O'Hara's Stout, 5 Lamps, Pilsner Urquell, Trouble Ór (or whatever it's called now). The bottles are all reasonably priced, and are comparable to the draught prices.

Tube wrote: »
    GH, O'Hara's Stout, 5 Lamps, Pilsner Urquell, Trouble Ór (or whatever it's called now). The bottles are all reasonably priced, and are comparable to the draught prices.

Ok thanks, but I meant real draught, not keg :)

Ok thanks, but I meant real draught, not keg :)

You meant cask.

You meant cask.

Same thing?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

New beers in today. 2 for £5 is brilliant.

craft.jpg

irish_goat wrote: »
    New beers in today. 2 for £5 is brilliant.

Much envy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,675 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I presume this deal is on offer in NI??

Let's attempt to predict Dublin prices from that...............

VAT is 23% here as against 20% in NI.

Excise duty is broadly similar, I think, though I'm not 100% sure, as the Irish Revenue website isn't clear if the figures are up to date.

Today's exchange rate is 82pence.

500/82 = 6.10 euro.

I will be generous, and add 25% for the slightly higher VAT, higher wages, higher overheads.

6.10 + 25% = 7.625 euro

Adding 30% for higher costs here brings us to about 8 euro.

How much are these 355ml US bottles / cans in a Dublin pub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Probably more accurate to compare the base prices with London rather than NI - but even in the one up the road from me in Highgate, a rather posh area, it's still only a little over 3 quid for a 330ml bottle of Punk IPA.

Nearly made me sick when Against The Grain wanted nearly €7 for a pint of it when I was back home for Christmas.

• Advertisement

Same thing?

Draught = keg or cask.

Cask as you know is rare enough in Ireland, and dare I say it, is more of an English tradition.

Advertisement