Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Any signs that they will come to Galway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

Heroditas wrote: »
    Really? Can I? You mean I can just, y'know, not actually read it? Amazing. You must be the first person to ever suggest such a thing.

You mean no one has ever suggested that to you before? I find that hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭Heroditas

You mean no one has ever suggested that to you before? I find that hard to believe.

Turn on your sarcasm detector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

No, people don't feel the need to point out the blindingly obvious.
    Well done, Captain Obvious.

I'm not a captain. I was in the FCA when I was younger, but never reached that rank. To be honest it was all politics why I was overlooked, as I was very capable soldier.

Anyway I digress...How did you know about my military background?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Now now ladies, play nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 1garryowen

Well done Weatherspoons. Come to Cavan.......You broke up the monopoly of the large breweries in the UK where prices were manipulated in their managed pubs and tenancies. Do the same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Hopefully they will be rollin' on da Northside soon? The Porterhouse out here is a kip, the 'Spoon couldn't be worse.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Now now ladies, play nice!

Screw you. I'm taking my ball and going home!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

1garryowen wrote: »
    Well done Weatherspoons. Come to Cavan.......You broke up the monopoly of the large breweries in the UK where prices were manipulated in their managed pubs and tenancies. Do the same here.

I think they'd do very well in Cavan! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Hopefully they will be rollin' on da Northside soon? The Porterhouse out here is a kip, the 'Spoon couldn't be worse.

Phibsboro? What's wrong with it?

• Advertisement

Screw you. I'm taking my ball and going home!

It's not your ball though! ;)

It's not your ball though! ;)

It bloody well is now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

It's grand - they just don't have the pint of the day, cask beers of any sort or TSB. The bottle selection is also a more limited. Their €4 cans and bottles are often quite good though. This all reflects that the fact that it's no longer managed by the Porterhouse itself. I wouldn't call it a kip anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭bennyineire

So has anyone actually been to "the spoons" yet and if so can we have little review, how was the beer/food/decor etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

So has anyone actually been to "the spoons" yet and if so can we have little review, how was the beer/food/decor etc.

And are the lager strengths the same as you'd get in the UK or is it the same as the frothy 4.3% dishwater we get here?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

I went yesterday, early enough (got there at around 5:45).

Only been to about 2-3 Wetherspoons in England, but the Three Tun Tavern is the nicest one I've been in.

Got the 8oz striploin and a pint of Broadside for €12. Good value. Steak is of decent quality, definitely worth the €12 with a pint anyway. Then a couple of sixpoint cans, which at €3.50 are really good.
    Decor is nearly more like a restaurant. Layout is decent, prices are good.

Only negatives I could find were that they didn't have the Irish guest ale tap on display (Troubles Sabotage/Dark Arts I believe), and maybe it's common practice in English pubs, but found it strange to have a bouncer walking through the tables every 15 mins making sure everything's alright. Wasn't too bothersome or anything, just not used to it; thought it was quite odd.

When we left at about 8 it was completely packed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Rip off charging €4.75 for Heineken, my local is €4.50 you can buy all pints for €3.60 in O Reillys in Tara Street,.

Wetherspoon in the UK are considerably cheaper even with the exchange rate.

II was looking forward to going there but won't be going anywhere near the place with prices like that for Heineken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Phibsboro? What's wrong with it?

Nothing wrong with the Porter house in Phibsboro take no notice of that poster it's a grand spot I go there regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Rip off charging €4.75 for Heineken....
    Most pubs that I've been to in Dublin, rip you off as much as they can for the luxury of not drinking sh*te like Heineken.

Good to see a somewhere take the opposite policy.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Here is one for you http://www.irishbeersnob.com/2014/07/the-three-tun-tavern-first-wetherspoons.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

revz wrote: »
    and maybe it's common practice in English pubs, but found it strange to have a bouncer walking through the tables every 15 mins making sure everything's alright. Wasn't too bothersome or anything, just not used to it; thought it was quite odd.

Seriously, in the leafy south Co Dublin suburbs? Were they expecting a protest from Fionnuala O'Carroll-Kelly and her cohort? Very odd to have been so noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Seriously, in the leafy south Co Dublin suburbs? Were they expecting a protest from Fionnuala O'Carroll-Kelly and her cohort?
    I reckon they were being overcautious on the first day, I would imagine some sneaky journo could have been just dying for someone to be pissed to have a good story of cheap drink binging.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Porthouse North is grand, though prefer to head central myself given the choice, better seleciton. A Northside Weatherspoons would definitely be something I'd frequent.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

I popped out to see it last night.

Place is very big, nicely decorated. TV with the world cup on. Toilets are upstairs and I hate walking far for the toilets in a pub ☺

Started with the Trouble Brewing Ale on Cask at 4.25. Very tasty.

Then had an Adams Ghost ship which I really enjoyed. And at 3.75 it's great value.

Shared some chicken wings, as it was chicken club night. Food was fine. 10 wings, chips, coleslaw, two sauces and a can of Sweet Action for 9.95.

Tried the Shipyard IPA also.

Left then and place was very busy. Long may it continue!

Edited : due to auto correct, results can be seen quoted below ☺

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

symbolic wrote: »
    I pooped out to see it last night.

Sorry for the OT, but lol!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Geuze wrote:
    Or will they buy off local RoI suppliers?

They are selling local brew.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I pooped out to see it last night.

Place is very big, nicely decorated. TV with the world cup on. Toilets are upstairs and I hate walking far for the toilets in a pub ☺

Started with the Trouble Brewing Ale on Cask at 4.25. Very tasty.

Then had an Adams Ghost ship which I really enjoyed. And at 3.75 it's great value.

Shared some chicken wings, as it was chicken club night. Food was fine. 10 wings, chips, coleslaw, two sauces and a can of Sweet Action for 9.95.

If you didnt like it then fair enough but theres no need for a dirty protest.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Is that your blog?

No, not mime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

<snip>

a ) thats some great value. Ireland is a funny place in that nearly all hotels have to be "luxory" and all restaurants offering a "top restaurant experience" and justify costing the price of a small holiday by saying its value for money.
    The idea that someone will just want a cheapish basic bed or a cheapish (non fast food) feed makes the country a very hard sell for tourists. More places like this can only be good from that point of view.
    b ) some comments/ articles questioned if they'd get the business in the evening. Seems they are doing well.
    c ) following on from b, thats the genious of Weatherspoons. The place is ticking over from 6 or 7 in the morning till midnight or later with breakfasts/ dinners/ snacks/ drinks. It struck me in Reading sipping a pint at 1am in a place that was going to open at 6or7 fr breakfast, that they REALLY get use out of their capital/ rent / flat rate council rates (which in other countries are a small turnover tax extra). They have the same big costs as a normal pub or restaurant or cafe but they merge all in one over the period of a day so can offer the value they do.

Advertisement