Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

BeerNut wrote: »
    Actually going, or just with placeholder pumpclips on them?

Well, from what I observed they were using two different pumps for the same beer on one side of the bar. Given that it was equally possible to be served that beer from the other side of the bar, where they were using two other pumps, - and we were - I assumed that all twelve were in operation. I may have skipped a step in my deduction of this but it was based on some degree of observation! They had four out of four of the Ghost Ship pumps going anyway. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Would make sense to have at least two pumps of everything going. Otherwise you're going to be telling people it has run out a lot of the time.

I think in Mulligans I've had about a 50% success rate in getting anything on cask but I understand they've added more pumps in recent months.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Would make sense to have at least two pumps of everything going. Otherwise you're going to be telling people it has run out a lot of the time.

I think in Mulligans I've had about a 50% success rate in getting anything on cask but I understand they've added more pumps in recent months.

Is this Mulligan's in Poolbeg St? I wasn't aware they did cask.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Chelon wrote: »

I doubt it. I reckon he's referring to L.Mulligan Grocer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Chelon wrote: »

Mulligan's of Poolbeg St doesn't do cask beers. They do have a good range of keg craft beers and the prices are actually quite decent. I think a 5am Saint is about €5.80 or less.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I doubt it. I reckon he's referring to L.Mulligan Grocer

yeah that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Was in the Three Tun last night, was exactly as I expected it to be - much better than your average Irish pub. Better beer, good food options and good value for money. Skipped down to The Dark Horse for one after.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

The gas has to be released during fermentation or the pressure would explode the fermenter.

Not strictly true. Fermentation is frequently done under pressure, even in some Irish micros. It cuts down the CO2 bill, as the beer comes out carbonated to some extent. I ferment lagers under pressure once the gravity has reached 1.020.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

Actually going, or just with placeholder pumpclips on them?

They had 12 going when I was there though some ran out of beer in front of my eyes. I think the beers are duplicated though, i.e. it's 6 on one bank and the same 6 on the other bank of beer engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Popped my Wetherspooon cherry today. Nice place and good to have no blaring telly's. Food was fine, nothing special but good value for what it was. Beer was great and very good value but staff insist on serving with almost non existent head. About 150 people spread out over the place with a quick turnover of tables. Decent crowd too. Found it a bit odd having to go up and pay in advance for everything but no biggie. Will definitely be visiting again.

• Advertisement

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Found it a bit odd having to go up and pay in advance for everything but no biggie.

Very much a UK thing. Order at the bar, pay for everything and wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Mulligan's of Poolbeg St doesn't do cask beers. They do have a good range of keg craft beers and the prices are actually quite decent. I think a 5am Saint is about €5.80 or less.

:eek: Fcuk, thats a nice surprise, last time I was in their it was a die hard Diageo kip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Lawrence Murphy

:eek: Fcuk, thats a nice surprise, last time I was in their it was a die hard Diageo kip.

They've had a few craft beers on tap for a few years at least

• Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Found it a bit odd having to go up and pay in advance for everything but no biggie. Will definitely be visiting again.

Can you elaborate please as to the exact format? I looked into the place last week but haven't yet given them my custom.

Do you have the option to walk in, sit at a table and wait to be served by a waiter/ess or does everyone have to walk up to the counter, order, pay, then sit at a table and wait for the food & beer to arrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

You go in sit down. Note your table number and then go up and order. You give your table number (if you order food) and you get served your drinks there and then.

You go in sit down. Note your table number and then go up and order. You give your table number (if you order food) and you get served your drinks there and then.

Thanks, can you sit down and wait to be served by a floor walker if eating food? Reason I ask is because when I wandered in to do a reccie last week, a young lady on the floor said 'hello', I assumed that if I had sat down there and then she would have taken an order - no?

Second question if I may: If I have had a drink and/or food and want another drink, do I have to get up off my lazy arse and walk to the counter to get the drink - are the floor staff only there to deliver food to the tables which has already been paid for? Is there no concept of a tab for each table?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

coylemj wrote: »
    Thanks, can you sit down and wait to be served by a floor walker if eating food? Reason I ask is because when I wandered in to do a reccie last week, a young lady on the floor said 'hello', I assumed that if I had sat down there and then she would have taken an order - no?

Second question if I may: If I have had a drink and/or food and want another drink, do I have to get up off my lazy arse and walk to the counter to get the drink - are the floor staff only there to deliver food to the tables which has already been paid for? Is there no concept of a tab for each table?

You go to the bar for everything

You go to the bar for everything

OK, so you go to the bar to pay for everything, you take the drink from the bar to your table and if you've ordered food, it's delivered by a floor walker. Sounds like there's no scope for waiting staff to get tips unless you leave money on the table in which case any of them could pick it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

OK, so you go to the bar to pay for everything, you take the drink from the bar to your table and if you've ordered food, it's delivered by a floor walker. Sounds like there's no scope for waiting staff to get tips unless you leave money on the table in which case any of them could pick it up.

Why don't you just go and try it? You'll soon figure out how things are run.

Why don't you just go and try it? You'll soon figure out how things are run.

I intend to do so, I just prefer to know how it work in advance given that it's clearly a different model to your typical Irish pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Said in Sunday Times today that Wetherspoons had send out a 15 page booklet to the local population introducing themselves and giving info about their craft beers etc.

Don't suppose anyone can post a copy of said booklet???

vicwatson wrote: »
    Said in Sunday Times today that Wetherspoons had send out a 15 page booklet to the local population introducing themselves and giving info about their craft beers etc.

Don't suppose anyone can post a copy of said booklet???

The JDW CEO thanked all of the team 'who have given their utmost to making our debut in Eire a success' :eek:

The online version is unreadable on a smartphone or laptop, why they couldn't put up a downloadable PDF version is beyond me. Try it anyway but you'll need good eyesight ....

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/flash/flipping-book/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

There is a download button on the toolbar which points to http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/flash/flipping-book/files/assets/common/downloads/publication.pdf - its 5mb though

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

i have being in 2 Spoons in Manchester and staff are not allowed to take tips, found it a bit strange.

What ciders on tap do they have?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

The Symonds is quite good, nice and dry.

Geuze wrote: »

Cheers, great prices, havent tasted symonds before but 3.95 is a great price if its half decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Cheers, great prices, havent tasted symonds before but 3.95 is a great price if its half decent.

Be aware it's decent cider not the alcopop we know as Bulmers.

• Advertisement

Be aware it's decent cider not the alcopop we know as Bulmers.

Believe me I dont drink any industrial ciders or beers!

Advertisement