Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

n97 mini wrote: »
    What makes you think LF would sell up? (He has no connection with the latest rumour, The Church)

I thought the church was an LF pub. Guess not. My mistake. It's not on the website but neither is the Parnell.

Though I'm pretty sure I saw it on the menu in there it was a LF pub last time I was in there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

n97 mini wrote: »
    That was sold about 8 months ago, and for a song after the previous people ripped the guts out of it and left it as more or less a shell. It's being done up atm, tho the neighbourhood has developed a large muslim community so craft beer is not an easy sell!
    Well, this is my neighbourhood, so I wouldn't agree. The area is, generally, quite mixed. True, there are some mosques/madrassas nearby. There are also well-do-do redbrick terraces, The Tenters, council houses and flats, lots and lots of apartment blocks with all kinds of people. Also, the area is home to the Newmarket Sq. co-op, a weekend market, The Headline craft beer pub, The Fumbally Café, a distillery. And there are at least two empty sites nearby that will be filled with new apartment blocks and Teeling whiskey will be moving into the area.

The Headline is packed every weekend, so there's a massive catchment area for craft beer there. What the area probably wants is a halfway house between the 'pretentious and expensive' craft thing and 'normal and affordable' pubs. I know this building and I can only imagine an entity as big and wealthy as Wetherspoons would take such a project on - unless it were to be converted into offices/commercial space. I just didn't notice the work going on because I've been out of home on account of doing a little of my own work to my place. I think, given the catchment area, it makes sense.

Whether I like it is another thing. And it still seems somewhat unconfirmed that this will, indeed, be a Wetherspoons?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Between Farrell's, McCauley's, Leonard's corner and the 57Headline I can't see Weatherspoon's establishing anywhere near Clanbrassil street..

I would have thought W'spoons would want to setup close to transport hubs, like large train stations, bus stops etc to catch the passing "pint n'curry" crowd, i.e. the clientele they aim for...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Bodytonic (guys who run The Bernard Shaw) have taken over Francis McKennas there by the bridge

drumswan wrote: »
    Bodytonic (guys who run The Bernard Shaw) have taken over Francis McKennas there by the bridge

Would say that the clientele who'd frequent The Shaw would be more likely to be the same as the 57Headline rather than W'spoons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Between Farrell's, McCauley's, Leonard's corner and the 57Headline I can't see Weatherspoon's establishing anywhere near Clanbrassil street..

I would have thought W'spoons would want to setup close to transport hubs, like large train stations, bus stops etc to catch the passing "pint n'curry" crowd, i.e. the clientele they aim for...
    You forget Fallon's/The Capstan, too. And enough people from around there go to places like O'Connell's on Sth. Richmond St. and Camden St. But you just never know. There's definitely a crowd there who'd very much appreciate cheap pints and a 'fancy meal' out for the family. And tourists, of which there are many around there.
    Would say that the clientele who'd frequent The Shaw would be more likely to be the same as the 57Headline rather than W'spoons.
    It depends on how Bodytonic develops their new place. The Headline pulls in a mixed enough crowd (and ages) at different times of the day/week. Leonard's Corner has its loyalists. My guess is Wetherspoons could pull in a mix of people, though Bodytonic's would more than likely grab the younger crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Doesn't fit the profile of the Three Tun Tavern in Blackrock. No central hub, no large train station, no major bus-stops. Clientelle are more of the office/family/local types.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Looking at the Three Tun menu, I see that the soft drink included with some meals covers a bottle of Ballygowan or 'any draught soft drink (398ml glass)'. Could someone enlighten me as to which brands of soft drinks they have on draught?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

coylemj wrote: »
    Looking at the Three Tun menu, I see that the soft drink included with some meals covers a bottle of Ballygowan or 'any draught soft drink (398ml glass)'. Could someone enlighten me as to which brands of soft drinks they have on draught?

If it's the same as the UK then they have Pepsi, Diet Pepsi and Whites Lemonade.

Doesn't fit the profile of the Three Tun Tavern in Blackrock. No central hub, no large train station, no major bus-stops. Clientelle are more of the office/family/local types.

Ah right, my mistake so, I thought a number of bus routes went through the village along with a busy train station, and a number of colleges within a few Km's..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Ah right, my mistake so, I thought a number of bus routes went through the village along with a busy train station, and a number of colleges within a few Km's..
    Sure there are bus stops and a dart station, but it's far from a major hub. Your description makes it sound like they only set up beside inter-city hubs, and in the case of the 3TT, that's clearly not the case. Their Dun Laoghaire site will be closer to your criteria though, as it's a major ferry port, with a significant train station and bus terminus nearby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

People just can't resist making snide remarks about spoons pubs and their clientele , is all.

Before heading off to authentic Irish smelly pubs that serve Diageo drinks and cheese sambos.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

Visited last week. Fairly average Spoons though the atmosphere much more conducive to food rather than drinking. This may change nightly though.

Couple of observations. Of the 3 cask ales tried, only one (Adnams Broadside) was in good nick. The other 2 had the very slight vinegary aftertaste that indicates something amiss.

Also around half of the myriad of very young staff looked like they'd never been in a pub before let alone worked in one....

Both highly unusual for a Spoons in my opinion; they'll need to up their game here.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Chelon wrote: »
    Visited last week. Fairly average Spoons though the atmosphere much more conducive to food rather than drinking. This may change nightly though.

Couple of observations. Of the 3 cask ales tried, only one (Adnams Broadside) was in good nick. The other 2 had the very slight vinegary aftertaste that indicates something amiss.

Also around half of the myriad of very young staff looked like they'd never been in a pub before let alone worked in one....

Both highly unusual for a Spoons in my opinion; they'll need to up their game here.

I too got a vinegar tinge to the hobgoblin cask 1 nite....had it in the 1st week of opening and it wasn't like this...
    another thing to note, is it me or do the casks seem to have less body in them, they don't seem to have that full body taste that you get in other bars

• Registered Users Posts: 14 plinkfizz81

Wetherspoons have bought The Old Boro in Swords.Think they're closing today for the renovations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

So, I headed over to Blackrock on Saturday afternoon before going to the ICBCF, stopped into TTT for a quick lunch.

Great place, lovely interior, friendly (if not a bit nervous) staff. I got the soup and a pint of Ghost Ship.

We had a 4 month old baby with us, and the staff found us a high chair no problem.

I couldn't stay for more than one beer, and probably won't be back out in Blackrock very often, but thumbs up to JDW on this - hopefully the first of many.

Is there a detailed description anywhere of what exactly they serve up on Tuesday ('steak club') or Thursday ('curry club')? I have the old and current menus and neither of them have any kind of description. The 16-page brochure has photos on the last page but no text description either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

Is there a detailed description anywhere of what exactly they serve up on Tuesday ('steak club') or Thursday ('curry club')? I have the old and current menus and neither of them have any kind of description. The 16-page brochure has photos on the last page but no text description either.

Have you been there yet?

Have you been there yet?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MrGee

I think its just cheaper for the steak on tuesdays. If i remember correctly it was 3 or 4 euro less then the menu price.
    I like the place, just too out of the way for me to go there regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

No

Then just go!

08/09
    Is there a detailed description anywhere of what exactly they serve up on Tuesday ('steak club') or Thursday ('curry club')? I have the old and current menus and neither of them have any kind of description. The 16-page brochure has photos on the last page but no text description either

12/08

20/07

Can you elaborate please as to the exact format? I looked into the place last week but haven't yet given them my custom.

Do you have the option to walk in, sit at a table and wait to be served by a waiter/ess or does everyone have to walk up to the counter, order, pay, then sit at a table and wait for the food & beer to arrive?

20/07
    Thanks, can you sit down and wait to be served by a floor walker if eating food? Reason I ask is because when I wandered in to do a reccie last week, a young lady on the floor said 'hello', I assumed that if I had sat down there and then she would have taken an order - no?

Second question if I may: If I have had a drink and/or food and want another drink, do I have to get up off my lazy arse and walk to the counter to get the drink - are the floor staff only there to deliver food to the tables which has already been paid for? Is there no concept of a tab for each table?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Mynamehere

Does anyone know if the Three Tun Tavern is any craic on a Friday and Saturday night? Is it doing much of a trade now that the novelty has worn off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Had a cask citra session apa today in london and man did it taste so watered down. Unfortunately a lot of beers ive had there before taste so damn similar and watery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I wonder how the other pubs in Blackrock are doing now that TTT has opened. Would be sad to see them close. A few of them were already a little dead at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭JayRoc

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I wonder how the other pubs in Blackrock are doing now that TTT has opened. Would be sad to see them close. A few of them were already a little dead at the weekend.

I honestly don't think it's made any appreciable difference to other pubs in Blackrock, good bad or otherwise. Frankly, as far as I can see, the only difference it makes is that lads on their way to work on Sunday morning can get a fry at 8am in the village.

(On granny plates, natch)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Work has started on the Dun Laoghaire pub (old 40 foot). Workmen very evident there last week.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Work has started on the Dun Laoghaire pub (old 40 foot). Workmen very evident there last week.

A countdown clock on www.jdwetherspoon.ie suggests that the 40 Foot will reopen as a JDW pub on Tue Dec 16th next.

Had the 'all day brunch' in the TTT during the week, very good nosh and good service but the place was very quiet just after 2 p.m. midweek.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,347 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Indo article today:

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/wetherspoon-will-pour-100m-into-irish-pub-network-30586377.html

They mention 5 confirmed pubs:

"Having already bought three pubs in Dublin and two in Cork, his company is now looking at sites in Galway, Mr Martin added."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Geuze wrote: »
    Tim Martin gave some news on next three outlets:

Cork to open "by Christmas" 2014.

Anyone know what the holdup is with the Cork one? If they're giving a countdown to the Forty Foot for December then it would seem to imply that'll be the next opening so unless they have two opening in very quick succession its looking like the Cork one would be sitting there until after Christmas at least. I'm no expert on the pub trade but I would have thought post-Christmas is not a great time to be opening a pub since people typically have no money and a lot seem to give up drink for January.

Advertisement