Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I wonder how the other pubs in Blackrock are doing now that TTT has opened. Would be sad to see them close. A few of them were already a little dead at the weekend.
    It could actually be of benefit. Whenever I would head to blackrock/dalkey/dun laoghaire we would typically go to at least 2 pubs, of those 3 places blackrock would be the most likely place that we would just stick to the 1 pub. If going there now it would be far more likely to be visit at least 2, esp. as wetherspoons is positioned fairly centrally. I already know of groups of lads who went down "to see it" and ended up in other pubs for the rest of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,968 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

6 of us had brunch in the TTT on Saturday, various size breakfasts and egg dishes. Place was quiet but we had good craic amongst ourselves.

6.95 for a heart attack breakfast, 4.95 for a still very sizeable one. Bottomless coffee and pepsi draught products and we had a few rounds of promo pints (London Pride on the day) for 1.99 each.

In anyone's book that is amazing value. The premises are well kept if a bit formulaic and rabbit warren like and the staff are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

rubadub wrote: »
    It could actually be of benefit. Whenever I would head to blackrock/dalkey/dun laoghaire we would typically go to at least 2 pubs, of those 3 places blackrock would be the most likely place that we would just stick to the 1 pub. If going there now it would be far more likely to be visit at least 2, esp. as wetherspoons is positioned fairly centrally. I already know of groups of lads who went down "to see it" and ended up in other pubs for the rest of the night.

I don't know. The high street has had mixed fortunes over the years. I see the Melt 'n Pot formerly Sheehans has closed. The other pubs weren't well known for their food so the draw of the TTT will be cheap pub grub and people will invariably sit in for a few pints and go there for games as I assume they will have the space for a big screen. I wouldn't like to see the likes of Conways and Jack O'Rourkes taking a substantial hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

will be cheap pub grub and people will invariably sit in for a few pints and go there for games as I assume they will have the space for a big screen.
    The lads I know went down with the intention to watch some match, dunno what, most likely soccer. The match was either not showing or the screen was too small so they left.

Most I know would not be going for food, and the drink is not ludicrously cheap either, also with the lack of guinness I could well imagine friends of mine nipping to another for a pint, and others probably following, thats the beauty of tiny towns like that, people will head out and back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Geuze wrote: »
    Indo article today:

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/wetherspoon-will-pour-100m-into-irish-pub-network-30586377.html

They mention 5 confirmed pubs:

"Having already bought three pubs in Dublin and two in Cork, his company is now looking at sites in Galway, Mr Martin added."

Interesting to see where theyre looking in Galway, not too many vacant city centre premises available, Bar 8 on the Docks and The Stage Door in Woodquay are two that spring to mind but both are small. Come to think of it the former Bazaar premises opposite the Spanish Arch/Jurys would be ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I was there again last Friday and availed of the various €1.99 pint options - London Pride, Broadside and an ironic pint of Tetley's, which was absolute bilge water as expected.

I've said it before but I've had two majestic pints of Beamish there. Could be the serving temperature but they're doing something right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

So are they doing 2e pints all the time now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Ravelleman wrote: »
    an ironic pint of Tetley's, which was absolute bilge water as expected.

what is an "ironic pint"?

You actually expected it to be bad, so did you buy it so you could give out about it?

Weird.

You actually expected it to be bad, so did you buy it so you could give out about it?

Weird.

Tetley's is awful in fairness. London Pride is also dishwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Tetley's is awful in fairness. London Pride is also dishwater.

Eh, no it's not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Not dishwater, but if you're in a Fullers pub then ESB makes it look very average.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Current American craft beer in Spoons. £1.49.

beercheckinimage.600.jpg

Not normally a fan of rye beer but this went down very well. Had a Hilden Nut Brown as well but it didn't taste 100% right for me.

Weird.

Well, I had never tried it before but I reckoned it was going to be bad, being a 3.6% macro bitter. I could have had something worthwhile for the same price but I thought I'd give Tetley's a go, even though I knew it was going to be terrible. It was and that's that. I could have had something nice but I felt mischievous, hence the pint being 'ironic'.

adamski8 wrote: »
    So are they doing 2e pints all the time now?

Also, the pints were labelled as 'Manager's Specials' but they seem to have been going for at least two weeks. They also had any curry and chips for €3.99 so it's not just drinks. I don't know how long it will last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Yeah i think it was 4 weeks ago that they had the 2e pints. I thought it was just temporary. Good news if they are somewhat permanent.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Eh, no it's not!

Okay I'll qualify that comparatively speaking it is (in my humble opinion). Especially if you have tried it from a can and a bottle.

Okay I'll qualify that comparatively speaking it is (in my humble opinion). Especially if you have tried it from a can and a bottle.

I think it's a great bitter. And I have tried cans, bottles and pints on keg and cask alike.

Its ratings on both Beer Advocate and Rate Beer are very high so I'm not the only one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Yeah, London Pride is decent, and holds a special place in my heart as the first non-Macro I drank, way back when Tesco was the best place to get decent beers!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yeah, London Pride is decent, and holds a special place in my heart as the first non-Macro I drank, way back when Tesco was the best place to get decent beers!

I miss the €1.99 a bottle price too. I always use it when I'm making a stew too, so I've a great fondness for it.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I miss the €1.99 a bottle price too. I always use it when I'm making a stew too, so I've a great fondness for it.

O'Briens (on Botanic Road) seem to have it for around €2.29 in can form. Not too far off for a nice beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

Best pint of cask I've ever had in Ireland was last year in the Black Sheep - London Pride.

It really was in peak condition. Not a huge fan of ales in bottles or especially cans...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Well, I had never tried it before but I reckoned it was going to be bad, being a 3.6% macro bitter. I could have had something worthwhile for the same price but I thought I'd give Tetley's a go, even though I knew it was going to be terrible. It was and that's that. I could have had something nice but I felt mischievous, hence the pint being 'ironic'.

Ah, I see, a scholar of the Alanis Morissette school of irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

@dub skav

I beg to differ. As the proud owner of a Master's Degree from the Alanis Morissette School of Irony, I can tell you that irony, in the Morissettian weltanschauung, could be very approximately explained in lay man’s terms as ‘sh1tty bad luck’.

In the case in hand, an example of Morissettian irony would be if the customer went to the bar, ordered a pint of Broadside just as the bar was closing, dropped the pint down to his table before heading for a much-needed slash, only to come back three minutes later, sit down, sip his pint only to discover he’s accidentally been given a pint of Tetley’s, and it’s too late to do anything about it because the bar is now closed closed.

What the guy who bought the Tetley’s did was buy a pint of Tetley’s ‘for the sneer’, as the parlance of our times would have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Lucena wrote: »
    @dub skav

I beg to differ. As the proud owner of a Master's Degree from the Alanis Morissette School of Irony, I can tell you that irony, in the Morissettian weltanschauung, could be very approximately explained in lay man’s terms as ‘sh1tty bad luck’.

In the case in hand, an example of Morissettian irony would be if the customer went to the bar, ordered a pint of Broadside just as the bar was closing, dropped the pint down to his table before heading for a much-needed slash, only to come back three minutes later, sit down, sip his pint only to discover he’s accidentally been given a pint of Tetley’s, and it’s too late to do anything about it because the bar is now closed closed.

What the guy who bought the Tetley’s did was buy a pint of Tetley’s ‘for the sneer’, as the parlance of our times would have it.

Fair enough, I defer to your lofty and lauded credentials.
    In my grovelling defence, I meant it more in terms of a Morissettian definition of irony equating simply to an incorrect definition of irony, rather than calling into question the exact mechanics of the level of incorrectness.
    Indeed, the attempted ironicist in question sounds like they did it more for the potential of a snooty instagram opportunity than anything in fact ironic.

Now, after all that I'm off for a smoke, unless there's a pesky "smoking not permitted in this location" sign

dub_skav wrote: »
    In my grovelling defence, I meant it more in terms of a Morissettian definition of irony equating simply to an incorrect definition of irony, rather than calling into question the exact mechanics of the level of incorrectness.
    Indeed, the attempted ironicist in question sounds like they did it more for the potential of a snooty instagram opportunity than anything in fact ironic.

No need to make it personal. And my Instagram account only has pictures of rainbows and nice beers.

Regardless, your comment is based on the mistaken assumption that my definition of irony is incorrect - it is not. My actions, in ordering a pint of Tetley's in a purveyor of many high quality beers, expressed the opposite of how I really felt, in this case with the intention of creating humour within my group of drinking companions. As someone who has a preference for craft beers and having had several delicious beers already, I deliberately ordered a terrible one, knowing that it would be terrible and yet amusing. Thus my intention was to create irony.

The real question is whether or not I wished to express scorn, in which case it would be sarcasm.

And if I were of the Morissette School, it would only be as an ironic venture.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MrGee

Ehhh, lets keep it simple!!, Beer talk is simple. No need for life storys!, we love weatherspoons waaaaay!!!

Chelon wrote: »

Even if you don't like him give it a whirl I think it's his funniest routine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Chelon wrote: »
    Even if you don't like him give it a whirl I think it's his funniest routine

No Ed we won't watch your video

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,770 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

@Chelon - We saw your link the first time. Don't bump it again.

tHB

Advertisement