Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Had a taste of Brewdog This.Is.Lager in Spoons and it's decent enough, but still a lager. They've also now got Rouge Amber, Lagunitas IPA and Adnams Crystal Rye in bottles. Star of the show however is Devil's Backbone(Virginia, USA) on draught. Really good hoppy IPA and only £2.69 a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

irish_goat wrote: »
    Star of the show however is Devil's Backbone(Virginia, USA) on draught. Really good hoppy IPA and only £2.69 a pint.

is that not contract brewed in the UK?

oblivious wrote: »
    is that not contract brewed in the UK?

Think it's brewed at Adnams. I was just putting the US bit there so people don't confuse it with Kinnegar's Devil's Backbone.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

New pricelist from TTT. Presume it's temporary but prices are bloody great!

Maybe someone can grab the image from their fb and post. Do it myself but I'm on mobile so it's too much effort. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

Big Nasty wrote: »
    New pricelist from TTT. Presume it's temporary but prices are bloody great!

Maybe someone can grab the image from their fb and post. Do it myself but I'm on mobile so it's too much effort. :D

BzBEkWQIgAERKsi.jpg:large

From Twitter. That's cheap. Wonder what the guest ales at €2.50 are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

revz wrote: »

Its their cask range, some will be Irish but nothing is permanent yet

€2.95 for the Shipyard Pale Ale makes me very happy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

€2.50 for a beamish!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Ravenid

Has anyone actually confirmed if the Silver Tassie in Loghlinstown was bought by Wetherspoons?

They are closed for renovation at the moment, is that Wetherspoons starting to work or are we looking at another attempt to do it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭turniphead

They've said on their Facebook page that these prices are for the foreseeable future. Nice one

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Those are great prices. Hopefully, they make their way to Sligo soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭StopWatch

Ravenid wrote: »
    Has anyone actually confirmed if the Silver Tassie in Loghlinstown was bought by Wetherspoons?

They are closed for renovation at the moment, is that Wetherspoons starting to work or are we looking at another attempt to do it up?

Nothing to do with Wetherspoons.
    Its going to be a high end wine bar/ restaurant

And most likely a failure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

The €2.50 guest ales represent a 50c price increase from the last time I was there, though that was due to overstock, I understand. That being said, I welcome the overall price decrease.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

They were announcing new food items on Twitter earlier today - BBQ Hog burger and a Philly Cheese Steak sandwich but the menu on the website hasn't been updated :confused:

Meet our new BBQ Hog Burger! Now available on our new menu!
    Introducing the Philly Cheese Steak sandwich! Now available on our new menu!

BzBhjw4IgAAcbIl.jpgBzBhUvnIMAADdFp.jpg

Got a sample of the Philly "cheese" steak on Wednesday there. The thing itself was just ok and I've put cheese in inverted commas for a reason there. I don't mind most of the spoon's food but I'd not recommend this one anyway.

Let's face it, the food is mediocre.

It's the beer we go for. ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The beer looks pretty sub-mediocre to me. No new happy price for the Six Point cans; none of the Lagunitas or Devil's Backbone beers they've introduced to the UK.

BeerNut wrote: »
    The beer looks pretty sub-mediocre to me. No new happy price for the Six Point cans; none of the Lagunitas or Devil's Backbone beers they've introduced to the UK.

Depends on what guest ales they have going on any given day, I guess. That would make the difference for me.

In light of what you say it might be a bit disappointing but the same stuff for cheaper is hardly bad. I do quite enjoy Beamish, especially for €2.50. Shipyard is also daecent for under €3.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,347 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I think these are substantial price changes.

Beamish 3.95 to 2.50 - a 36% price cut - this is so cheap for south Dublin, I find it difficult to believe

Murphy's 3.95 to 2.95 - 25% off

Heineken, Staropramen, Shipyard PA - reduced from 4.75 / 4.95 to 2.95 - that's a 42% price cut.

As I write this, I simply can't believe these prices are permanent............

Given 23% VAT here vs 20% in UK, and given rents/property costs/overheads, how can they do it???

Huge purchasing power? Maybe........

But why not these prices from opening day???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Maybe they decided to run for a couple of months with 'normal' prices to see how business went. If they got a lot of business, then they didn't need to use their UK model of low prices. If business was slow, no worries, they have loads of money behind them and I'm sure that this first site is being studied carefully before they roll out the next pubs.
    It's also easier, in terms of public image, to start out too high and then come down as opposed to the other way round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

irish_goat wrote: »
    Got a sample of the Philly "cheese" steak on Wednesday there. The thing itself was just ok and I've put cheese in inverted commas for a reason there. I don't mind most of the spoon's food but I'd not recommend this one anyway.

If you'd had it in Phildelphia, you'd have to put "cheese" in inverted commas too; wizz, I believe is the colloquial term.

Spoons entry pub here is reasonably priced with nice decor and fairly decent clientele. I'd say the idea was to set themselves up this way with intention of defining themselves as a considerable cut above what we might have expected from a Spoons: cheap drink and cheaper clentele in a sticky carpet and poker machine environment.

Now that they've won us over they can release their true pricing structure and make a serious dent in local trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Lucena wrote: »
    Maybe they decided to run for a couple of months with 'normal' prices to see how business went. If they got a lot of business, then they didn't need to use their UK model of low prices. If business was slow, no worries, they have loads of money behind them and I'm sure that this first site is being studied carefully before they roll out the next pubs.
    It's also easier, in terms of public image, to start out too high and then come down as opposed to the other way round.

I think it also might have to do with loads of more pubs here opening and now they have better deals in place for the future pubs and hence lower costs where they can now afford to lower prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Or it's all of the above, combined with a sh1tload of free advertisement? Those prices won't go unreported.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Blut2

They're absolutely fantastic prices! Wetherspooon's expansion can't come fast enough. Once theres a few places dotted around the city center serving at those prices it'll put serious pressure on other pubs, hopefully.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Or it's all of the above, combined with a sh1tload of free advertisement? Those prices won't go unreported.

Yes, the likes of the Journal can monetise anything as long as it generates a few clicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Amazed how cheap it is out here! Shipyard APA on draft 1.99, cask 2.50. No Irish cask on unfortunately, but still. Crazy prices. How is this sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

are they not serving 8 Degrees Knockmealdown Porter any longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

BMJD wrote: »
    are they not serving 8 Degrees Knockmealdown Porter any longer?

They had bottles in the fridge with the rest of the 8 degrees stuff. Didnt see it on draft though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

Strange that wetherspoons purchased their second Irish premises in Ireland in December 2013 but have not even started to prepare it for opening, though they originally announced a Nov 2014 launch. The old Newport bar in Cork was bought just one month after their initial blackrock purchase. They recently announced that they have purchased a second Cork pub, but no details of where that is..

Advertisement