Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,335 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Some delays with the Cork site, there may be more info over in the Cork forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭SteeveeDee

BeerNut wrote: »
    The beer looks pretty sub-mediocre to me. No new happy price for the Six Point cans; none of the Lagunitas or Devil's Backbone beers they've introduced to the UK.

I was there on Friday by chance and had no knowledge of the new pricing. I was happily surprised!

Anyhow you'll be happy to know all cask ale is 2.50

Devil's backbone is on tap at 2.95 and is lovely indeed.

Six Point cans and 8 Degrees bottles are 2.49

and finally whiskey is a decent price at 3.95 for Jameson or Powers.

The beer looks pretty sub-mediocre to me. No new happy price for the Six Point cans; none of the Lagunitas or Devil's Backbone beers they've introduced to the UK.

I was there on Friday by chance and had no knowledge of the new pricing. I was happily surprised!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

I think Steeveedee was in there on friday lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Earendil wrote: »
    I'm so tired, I still read each post individually!

SteeveeDee wrote: »

It's a pity the new menu only displays some products.

It doesn't mention the new spirits prices, for example.

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/irish_menu.pdf

Just found new menu.

Ok, so a double Power's or Jameson is now 5.95, that's an effective price of 3.00 per 35.5ml measure.

A double G&T is 5.95 - at last some value, this is what we have been waiting for.

I don't drink this stuff, but I hated to see prices like 10 euro for a double G&T.

Bottles of wine are from 13 - 14.50, this is what we need to get people out to pubs.

330/355ml bottles are now 2.45 - Lord, have we waited for this.

To see pubs charging 4.50-5.00 for a 33cl bottle, which is 1.00-1.50 in a supermarket - CRAZY.

Now we can pay a sensible 2.45 for a 33cl bottle.

Six Point cans = 2.45 for 355ml

Devil's Backbone American IPA = 2.95 per pint

Happy prices!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

€2.45 for Goose Island is cheaper than the off licenses. Porter house in town charges about €6.50 for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

€2.45 for Goose Island is cheaper than the off licenses.

This is how I view Wetherspoons up here. It's cheaper to buy pints in the bar than go next door into Tesco and buy the beer in bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

serious reductions i kept the old menu

beamish down from 3.95 to 2.50
    heineken down from 4.75 to 2.95

staropramen down 2 euro to 2.95

realistic prices.....................now open in cork please

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Spoons entry pub here is reasonably priced with nice decor and fairly decent clientele. I'd say the idea was to set themselves up this way with intention of defining themselves as a considerable cut above what we might have expected from a Spoons: cheap drink and cheaper clentele in a sticky carpet and poker machine environment.

Now that they've won us over they can release their true pricing structure and make a serious dent in local trade.

Yes i think they made prices high as first so as not to have undesirables getting a foothold there, now that they have a good crowd of respectable regulars it will be hard for scumbags to get them shifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Are they planning on opening one in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

And there ya have it, The Journal going with the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Even a quick glance would suggest that these prices are not possible long term combined with decent service.

Whilst i'm not in the pub game, I am in retail and what will happen is prices will drop, but so will wages, jobs and service. Service in wetherspoons in the UK is utter crap.

A huge operation like wetherspoons can do this for a year or more - but it will kill many decent pubs and then prices will rise. (check their UK prices in areas they don;t have competition)

As I live in a nice rural location with decent local that serves quality pints and service and great chat, thankfully it is protected from this race to the bottom.

On the flip side - all the skangers will go to wetherspoons and decent pubs will thrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

delahuntv wrote: »
    Even a quick glance would suggest that these prices are not possible long term combined with decent service.

Whilst i'm not in the pub game, I am in retail and what will happen is prices will drop, but so will wages, jobs and service. Service in wetherspoons in the UK is utter crap.

A huge operation like wetherspoons can do this for a year or more - but it will kill many decent pubs and then prices will rise. (check their UK prices in areas they don;t have competition)

As I live in a nice rural location with decent local that serves quality pints and service and great chat, thankfully it is protected from this race to the bottom.

On the flip side - all the skangers will go to wetherspoons and decent pubs will thrive.

Like the "decent" pubs who will still serve up pints of the regular beers with no alternative? I would sooner endure the "skanger" filled Wetherspoons and have a pint of something on cask or a pint of the likes of Shipyard rather than pay my 5euro for a pint of sub zero lager in some the "traditional" pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

• Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Massive price reductions are normally what you do when you open a new pub, not several months later. Clearly this is about getting more bums on seats and stools and the numbers through the door so far haven't met expectations.

I've been there twice so far, I was a bit surprised at the calibre of some of the staff, notably one person behind the counter whom I won't identify with any description but given the level of unemployment in the country at the moment, I was expecting that the standard of staff would be much higher than what I encountered. Doesn't say much for the wages they're paying and/or their selection criteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

coylemj wrote: »
    Massive price reductions are normally what you do when you open a new pub, not several months later. Clearly this is about getting more bums on seats and stools and the numbers through the door so far haven't met expectations.

I've been there twice so far, I was a bit surprised at the calibre of some of the staff, notably one person behind the counter whom I won't identify with any description but given the level of unemployment in the country at the moment, I was expecting that the standard of staff would be much higher than what I encountered. Doesn't say much for the wages they're paying and/or their selection criteria.

I had the exact same experience there. The staff didn't seem to have a clue.

I also agree that the price cuts are probably just an effort to increase turnover.

• Advertisement

delahuntv wrote: »

A quick glance at what exactly? Their prices in the north have stayed low in the 8 years I've been going to them anyway.

And barstaff tend to get paid minimum wage so their pay can't drop any lower. Service is a lot of English pubs is crap, I don't think you can blame Wetherspoons for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,926 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I also agree that the price cuts are probably just an effort to increase turnover.

What a strange thing for a business to do!

There was me thinking the price cuts were a costly public service they were engaging in.

Earendil wrote: »

Haha. Faultering internet or tremulous fingers to blame!

What a strange thing for a business to do!

There was me thinking the price cuts were a costly public service they were engaging in.

Stay classy. You're really showing your true level there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,926 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Stay classy. You're really showing your true level there.

Sarcasm?
    Pot and kettle springs to mind!

Sarcasm?
    Pot and kettle springs to mind!

I don't want to drag this thread any further off topic, so I'll leave this now. It's not fair to the other posters on this thread who are interested in discussing Wetherspoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Both of you drop it

Really enjoying the Devils Backbone IPA, only gripe is the serving temperature. I'm never one to normally complain about beer temperature but it's coming out ridiculously cold. It must be hooked up to the "ice cold" chiller. Definitely one of the coldest pints I've had in years.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I noticed that when I was at the Blackrock one: all the keg beers made my teeth hurt.

• Advertisement

All beers treated equally, I assume.

Craft beer menu now looks like.

317ijya.jpg

Advertisement