Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Simon2015 wrote: »
    Sorry I asked where not when. Just wondering if they have a spot already picked out ?

Oops! :D Yes, as mentioned the old Camden Hostel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

jimmii wrote: »
    They bought Camden Hall Hostel.

Is that the one just across from the bleeding horse pub ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Is that the one just across from the bleeding horse pub ?

Yeah that's the place. Be interesting to see if other pubs notice any changes obviously a lot more competitive are than they have moved into to date.

jimmii wrote: »
    Yeah that's the place. Be interesting to see if other pubs notice any changes obviously a lot more competitive are than they have moved into to date.

I'd say they could take away about 50% of the bleeding horses customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Blut2

I dunno - I think they may actually add to the Bleeding Horses customers.

If the business of the TTT in Blackrock is any indication the first place in town to open will likely be crazy busy every night. If a lot of people are going there, and getting refused because its full, there'll likely be some spillover to the Bleeding Horse. It'll draw a LOT more people to that specific point in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Blut2 wrote: »
    I dunno - I think they may actually add to the Bleeding Horses customers.

If the business of the TTT in Blackrock is any indication the first place in town to open will likely be crazy busy every night. If a lot of people are going there, and getting refused because its full, there'll likely be some spillover to the Bleeding Horse. It'll draw a LOT more people to that specific point in town.

Also the residents will be able to enjoy a pint with their breakfast in true spoons fashion

I'd love to see Wetherspoons open a pub in temple bar that would really shake things up.

I'm sick of paying over 7 euro for a bottle of cider when I go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I'd love to see Wetherspoons open a pub in temple bar that would really shake things up.

I'm sick of paying over 7 euro for a bottle of cider when I go there.

This is going to seem a stupid question but why go to Temple Bar at all if you are sick of paying €7 for a beer? Why not go elsewhere like Wicklow Street or Georges Street or Camden Street?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Heroditas wrote: »
    This is going to seem a stupid question but why go to Temple Bar at all if you are sick of paying €7 for a beer? Why not go elsewhere like Wicklow Street or Georges Street or Camden Street?

Exactly! Why would you even go Temple Bar unless you're a tourist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Because of the hotel I would think it will bring a good few extra people to the area and Spoons tends to be an early stop off on a night out not a stay all night type of place so it might mean Bleeding Horse is a little quieter at 7pm but it could well end up being a lot busier after 10pm or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

BaZmO* wrote: »

Eh, to chat up easy American chicks. . . :confused:

theteal wrote: »

I thought as much, but surely that comes at a price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I though as much, but surely that comes at a price?

Ah yeah, you'd only have 2 and then show them some good Dublin spots. Those were the days. . . :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

if you go to the UK be sure to check out The Knights Templar in London, amazing medieval style stone decoration in the bathroom

I assume you mean the ladies toilets there?
    If not, ask the staff if you can have a look in there, it's even better than the mens!
    Managed by an Irish couple.

Heroditas wrote: »

Me and my friends have been drinking there for years. If your going out for the weekend in Dublin temple bar is the place to be.

• Advertisement

Me and my friends have been drinking there for years. If your going out for the weekend in Dublin temple bar is the place to be.

It's not if you want change out of a €20 note for 3 pints!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

It's not if you want change out of a €20 note for 3 pints!

Places like Thomas Read, downstairs, was always pretty reasonably priced (for where it was situated) from what I can recall. Haven't been down that neck of the woods in a long time though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

theteal wrote: »

My experiences can be summed up thus:

Me: HI!!!!
    her: WHAT?!?
    Me: I SAID HI!
    her: LIKE, HUH?
    Me: Christ, I need a drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's a dump for people who don't know any better and have no taste in beer (or sexual partners.)

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

It's a dump for people who don't know any better and have no taste in beer (or sexual partners.)

Ah now, prices aside Temple Bar can ve good craic on a Thursday or Sunday when the crowds aren't insane

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

There once was a mythical place there, with an amazing array of craft beer.

Alas, they sold their soul to Macro and free kegs.

That was a very good reason to go to TB.

Now, there is no attraction at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

There once was a mythical place there, with an amazing array of craft beer.

Alas, they sold their soul to Macro and free kegs.

That was a very good reason to go to TB.

Now, there is no attraction at all.

Porterhouse TB is well worth a visit.

Porterhouse TB is well worth a visit.

Well, there are other porterhouses available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Well, there are other porterhouses available.

Yup, but its handy if youre walking from North to South or moving from B&C to elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Work has finally started on the Newport site in Paul St in Cork.

The shoe shop next store was lodging frivolous complaints but I'm glad to see its finally cleared up. That building has been an eye sore for too long.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Goebshell

syklops wrote: »
    My experiences can be summed up thus:

Me: HI!!!!
    her: WHAT?!?
    Me: I SAID HI!
    her: LIKE, HUH?
    Me: Christ, I need a drink.

You're doing it wrong.

Goebshell wrote: »
    You're doing it wrong.

Luckily I dont need to any more, but what should I do when the girl cant hear what your saying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

oblivious wrote: »
    Have you tried mulligan grocer, they have put some serious investment in recent times

mulligans charges near 6euro sometimes 6+ for cask its a joke to say the least especially when u pay for a local cask

dvdman1 wrote: »
    mulligans charges near 6euro sometimes 6+ for cask its a joke to say the least especially when u pay for a local cask

The original post I was replying to was nothing to do with pric. Your free to spend as and where you like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

If your going out for the weekend in Dublin temple bar is the place to be.

You sound like an advertisement jingle that has somehow gained sentience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Given that JD WS can sell UK cask at 2.50 per pint, then all Irish pubs attempts at selling cask ale at a reasonable price will clearly fail.

5.00 I would accept.

But 6.00 is too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Chelon

6 (six) Euro. Wow. For that money it has to be the most delicious ale ever served. Ah wait this is a Dublin pub...

The original post I was replying to was nothing to do with pric. Your free to spend as and where you like

yes i agree free to spend where we all like..
    but price is an important element for buyers nomatter what the market, it can affect experience, fellow patrons social class for example

yes i agree free to spend where we all like..
    but price is an important element for buyers nomatter what the market, it can affect experience, fellow patrons social class for example

no doubt and i would be the same too about it. I was just was just focusing on the quality :)

no doubt and i would be the same too about it. I was just was just focusing on the quality :)

as a strickly "ale cask" drinker i get mixed quality
    I suppose this is because of the lack of experience relating to anything cask here

As for Customer Service Mulligans beats weatherspoons easily, you get the feeling your very welcome.... ive been served a pint in spoons without the spotty faced barboy saying a word to me, 1 bargirl slammed the pint so hard other customers look in amusement.

product quality ive been served vinegar casks in both.....weatherspoon blamed their long supply chain back to the UK..mulligans just took the cask offline told me it was too old.
    ive np once they all learn

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Slim1996

Anyone know how to apply for a job at weatherspoons? the new one in blanch beside me is going to be finished being built soon wouldn't mind getting a job there for when it opens

Slim1996 wrote: »
    Anyone know how to apply for a job at weatherspoons? the new one in blanch beside me is going to be finished being built soon wouldn't mind getting a job there for when it opens

The have a part of their Web site for job's

http://www.wetherspoonjobs.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Slim1996 wrote: »
    From what I've seen in the three tun the criteria seem to include a permanent state of apathy and bewilderment.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭SteeveeDee

Chelon wrote: »
    6 (six) Euro. Wow. For that money it has to be the most delicious ale ever served. Ah wait this is a Dublin pub...

Just a heads up. I was in The 108 in rathgar at the weekend and had a few pints of a white gypsy porter on cask for €4, solid stuff too!

• Advertisement

SteeveeDee wrote: »
    Just a heads up. I was in The 108 in rathgar at the weekend and had a few pints of a white gypsy porter on cask for €4, solid stuff too!

Nice - shame it's not in the city centre but maybe an option. Passed the Beer Market the other night and looked busy. Can only hope they have a few casks on there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Just to let people know that the 3T in Blackrock is having a "craft beer" festival from Mon 18-May to Sun 24-May.

17 beers on the poster, all bottles or cans, typically 330/355ml.

Irish brewers: 8 Degrees, O'Hara's, and from the USA: 3 Rogue beers, Goose Island IPA, Lagunitas IPA.

Two of the Irish bottles are 50cl.

All priced at 1.95.

https://www.facebook.com/TheThreeTunTavern?fref=photo

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Slim1996

Got a reply to my job application been invited to a 4 hour assesment next wednesday. Was told I'll be doing an individual interview aswell as group work, any advice?

any advice you get here about being a barman will be useless to you for a JDW job, the staff seem to be told to do the opposite of being a good barman

Now their website lists "The Great Wood" in Blanch opening soon. From their map it looks to be bang in the middle of the shopping centre. Anyone know more?

Chelon wrote: »
    Now their website lists "The Great Wood" in Blanch opening soon. From their map it looks to be bang in the middle of the shopping centre. Anyone know more?

The Great Scaldwood is its proper title. Part of the forest would have been in the area of where the blanchardstown center now resides. Old irish forest that was maintained by the local lords till Cromwell came. One of the last wolf's in Ireland was killed there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Heard from a good authority - if there really is such a thing - that they have secured a premises on Tullow Street in Carlow Town.

Should be interesting as this used to be the main shopping street in the town but is slowly turning into a bar and restaurant street.

It might draw more and benefit all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Spoon's would be a big hit with the Student crowd in Carlow, putting it on the same street as The Foundry is a good move too.
    They do a serious trade in Blackrock with UCD students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Spoon's would be a big hit with the Student crowd in Carlow, putting it on the same street as The Foundry is a good move too.

Yep, across the street from Tully's too.

I nice pint of cask wouldn't go astray in the town too. A hard sell to the locals maybe?! :)

They do a serious trade in Blackrock with UCD students.

Spoons would be a hit in any town with their prices. Draught Czech import for 2.95. Special offers for 1.99.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

lk67 wrote: »
    Heard from a good authority - if there really is such a thing - that they have secured a premises on Tullow Street in Carlow Town.

Should be interesting as this used to be the main shopping street in the town but is slowly turning into a bar and restaurant street.

It might draw more and benefit all.

I've heard this about 2 other locations in Carlow before that turned out to be nothing.

A mate of mine swears he has seen the plans etc but he's a bit of a spoofer.

I've checked out the jdw website and it says nothing about acquiring a place in Carlow.

I'd be happy if it did tbh cos Carlow could do with a new business, as there's a ****load of empty premises lying vacant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement