Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

ceekay74 wrote: »
    My local dunnes sells it.

Horrible stuff.

Can I ask where your local Dunnes is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

Simon2015 wrote: »
    Can I ask where your local Dunnes is ?

Dublin 24. It's not something I'd ever buy so I couldn't say if it's currently in stock, but I have seen it (and gagged from the memory of drinking it) a few times over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

Also for sale in Molloys, Tallaght...

https://molloys.ie/catalogsearch/result/?q=aftershock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Aftershock was a bit of a precursor to Jagermeister, it was briefly cool amongst wannabe rockstars and the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

BMJD wrote: »
    Aftershock was a bit of a precursor to Jagermeister, it was briefly cool amongst wannabe rockstars and the like.

Albeit Jager is far, far older and more respectable, having been around since 1935.

Its basically a drink for "hard man" little boys, albeit little boys that are old enough to drink (having been there myself...). Its an incredibly poor quality liquer with an unbelievably high price tag and nothing further.

Creating an idea that its not available outside nightclubs just adds to its mystique amongst said little boys - when its non availability is down to people not being willing to part with 40 quid for a very generic bottle of 30% spirits.

L1011 wrote: »
    very generic bottle of 30% spirits.

Years ago when I drank it was 40%. I don't think it would be worth drinking at 30%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Simon2015 wrote: »
    Years ago when I drank it was 40%. I don't think it would be worth drinking at 30%.

It may have been, but it was nothing other than gut rot marketed at kids from day one.

If you want a cinnamon liqueur, better ones exist. If you want something to get drunk fast, that isn't for this forum; but there are plenty of much cheaper 40% products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Back on topic lads. Ahpleaseandthankyou!

Just wondering does Wetherspoons operate any nightclubs or is it just pubs ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

They have a sub-brand called Lloyd's No. 1 which is slightly clubbier: they'll have a dancefloor and sound system, and even space for a DJ, but are otherwise normal Wetherspoons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

How did we get from a pub that sells cheapish drinks to whether aftershock, an overpriced spirit made from nuclear waste, is sold in tesco?

syklops wrote: »
    How did we get from a pub that sells cheapish drinks to whether aftershock, an overpriced spirit made from nuclear waste, is sold in tesco?

For some reason this thread has an awful habit of going off topic. But hey, let's not go there again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

BeerNut wrote: »
    They have a sub-brand called Lloyd's No. 1 which is slightly clubbier: they'll have a dancefloor and sound system, and even space for a DJ, but are otherwise normal Wetherspoons.

I'm not sure what to think of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

BaZmO* wrote: »
    The new Wetherspoon in Blanchardstown opens today

wood1.png

There twitter says its previed weekend and main site still says the 30th of june

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They have a facebook page, and there is talk of invites, presumably similar to forty foot where they had free meals given out as sort of staff training.
    https://www.facebook.com/thegreatwoodjdw
    Erick Eichelkraut Hey great wood , when are the invitations being given out for the opening , cheers best of luck 😀
    Like · Reply · 1 · 19 hrs

The Great Wood Thanks Erick. Still being finalised at the moment. Will let you know ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Just to note that the third JDW in Ireland opens today, 30-June 2015, in Blanchardstown.

See local discussion here;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057328427&page=6

There is some talk on that thread of Beamish going from 2.50 to 3.50.

Also note that the menus have been pulled from the homepage of the website:

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/

Maybe new menus on the way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Geuze wrote: »

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/

Maybe new menus on the way?

I would look like it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Does the View Our Menu 'button' work for anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

oblivious wrote: »
    I would look like it
    Tabnabs wrote: »
    Does the View Our Menu 'button' work for anyone else?

Link seems to be broken but the PDF is still there: http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/irish_menu.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

hardCopy wrote: »
    Link seems to be broken but the PDF is still there: http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/irish_menu.pdf

Is that menu out of date? I thought Heineken was gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/FortyFoot2015.pdf http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/ThreeTunTavern2015.pdf

The old menus, while they are still there... It looks like the prices have gone up a fair bit. Bottles are now 3.25 instead of 2.45.

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/TheGreatWood2015.pdf

New menu and a quick comparison, price increases across the board.

TSsgp1C.jpg

Stevek101 wrote: »
    http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/FortyFoot2015.pdf

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/ThreeTunTavern2015.pdf

The old menus, while they are still there... It looks like the prices have gone up a fair bit. Bottles are now 3.25 instead of 2.45.

The 33cl bottles are 2.45 in those links, large bottles 2.95.

I'm looking at the Mar 2015 menue.

Where are you seeing 3.25?

Sorry for the large images. Here are the food increases, if anyone is interested in that. :P

2uTDvBi.jpg

All prices are compared with the latest from Blackrock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

The 33cl bottles are 2.45 in those links, large bottles 2.95.

I'm looking at the Mar 2015 menue.

Where are you seeing 3.25?

The second menu on the right hand side of the screen shot he posted.
    Big increases according to that.

I had pictures of the menu about a week or so ago and had wondered would those prices but final. It looks like they are and the increases are dramatic across the board with little new items on offer.

Thanks, interesting.

What I can't understand is the UK ales staying at 2.50.....surely with the weaker euro these would have to rise as well???

Beamish up from 2.50 to 3.50...brutal..........it was suggested in the D15 thread that this is linked to a new deal with Heineken.

Paddy whiskey for 5.25........is this a joke? Sure it's 4.00 approx in typical pubs in provincial towns.

Sixpoint cans from 2.45 to 3.25, that's a 33% rise.

Irish 33cl bottles - are these 3.25 or 3.75? It's not clear? It seems like 3.25.

The Irish 50cl bottled stout are 3.75, it seems.

Erdinger from 2.95 to 3.95 - again, a 33% rise.

Redbreast has jumped from 5.75 to 7.75.............what the hell...........

Okay, you can double it for 2.00 more, meaning under 5.00 per shot.

My big question;

why cut prices by about 33% in October 2014 approx, and now increase them by approx 33% in some cases????

Odd.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

One of the regulars on the D15 forum was there over the weekend for their soft opening and posted this:
    I got talking to one of the managers. He told me that the pint of Beamish would be E3.50. I thought I had misheard him and asked did he mean E2.50 like in the Blackrock weatherspoons. No 3.50 was the correct price. He said that they had made a mistake in their pricing in Blackrock and would be soon putting up their prices in line with Blanch.

Not sure how you can "make a mistake" of that magnitude with your pricing tbh.

• Advertisement

It wasn't a great success in the beginning and then prices were lowered after the first few weeks of the Three Tun Tavern. It wasn't long ago that Tim Martin said the prices are artificially low for the entry into the Irish market and they would gradually increase as more pubs opened, but this seems like a bit too much of a jump. You'd of at least expected them to get Heinkien back now or offer some more products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭kooga

maybe its local pricing with different prices around the country/region.

Zaph wrote: »
    Not sure how you can "make a mistake" of that magnitude with your pricing tbh.

Yes, exactly, given that they have 900+ pubs.

kooga wrote: »

Maybe, but that would suggest D15 should be lower than Blackrock?

They've taken down all the menus off their website. It'd be madness to have different pricing with only three pubs. I'd imagine they view the Irish operation as one.

3.50 for a beamish is nothing special if you compare it to existing cork prices..................

I knew the low low prices coundn't last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Wines don't strike me as particularly good value, given they're on draught ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

3.50 for a beamish is nothing special if you compare it to existing cork prices..................

I agree, considering you can buy a pint of Beamish for as little as €3.10 within pissing distance of the Linen Weaver, €3.95 for Tuborg is ridiculous. Never seen it over €3.50 anywhere in Munster.
    Looks like Wetherspoon's have become more Irish than the Irish themselves.
    Tim Martin said on the radio last year that their food offering would be cheaper than the Uk due to the lower Vat rate, looks like the Treasure Island mentality has taken hold.

• Advertisement

Yes.

I pay 3.30.

In Galway city centre it's 3.80 in Murphy's on High street.

I agree, considering you can buy a pint of Beamish for as little as €3.10 within pissing distance of the Linen Weaver, €3.95 for Tuborg is ridiculous. Never seen it over €3.50 anywhere in Munster.
    Looks like Wetherspoon's have become more Irish than the Irish themselves.
    Tim Martin said on the radio last year that their food offering would be cheaper than the Uk due to the lower Vat rate, looks like the Treasure Island mentality has taken hold.

Off-topic, but I'm surprised at 3.10 for Beamish in Cork city centre. Seems very low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

So what do we know, is the Blanch pub a first outing for raised prices everywhere, or are they leaving the existing prices in Blackrock and Dun Laoghaire?

As said above, very odd strategy to have much higher prices in an area with arguably far less disposable income. Are they trying to discourage anti-social drinking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Larbre34 wrote: »
    As said above, very odd strategy to have much higher prices in an area with arguably far less disposable income. Are they trying to discourage anti-social drinking?

It's not that strange, if those prices are still lower than the local alternatives then you'll get more of the local population in. There won't be the "snob" element that you'd associate with more affluent areas where people "wouldn't be seen dead" in outlets like JDW/Aldi/Lidl etc.

I'm reasonably certain they'll match the prices across the chain in the next day or so.

With the menus pulled its a near certainty. It'll be interesting to see if it affects footfall in the current establishments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Pity the prices are rising but doesn't surprise me.

It is a shame though as the pub trade has been just riding customers waaaay too long now and need a good kick up the hole to reduce and keep prices down allowing ordinary folk the option of going to the pub again instead of at home with a few cans.

Wouldn't put me off going though as the prices for the likes of the craft beers, which is what I'd be drinking, are still decent in fairness to them.

Pity the prices are rising but doesn't surprise me.

It is a shame though as the pub trade has been just riding customers waaaay too long now and need a good kick up the hole to reduce and keep prices down allowing ordinary folk the option of going to the pub again instead of at home with a few cans.

Wouldn't put me off going though as the prices for the likes of the craft beers, which is what I'd be drinking, are still decent in fairness to them.

You do know that going to the pub isn't a human right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Off-topic, but I'm surprised at 3.10 for Beamish in Cork city centre. Seems very low.

Callinan's , Georges Quay. About €3.30 Barrack St/Bandon Road rising to about €3.80 in the more salubrious establishments in the city centre.Averages about €3.65.

how come they have carlsberg isn't that not a diageo product in the ROI

its actually carlsberg from the uk as its 3.8% unlike here 4.3%.

can they do that

can they do that
    Sure. Free movement of goods and all that. If anyone else did it they would jeopardise their relationship with Diageo, but when you don't have a relationship with Diageo: :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement