Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭dzilla

Anybody hear anything about the Waterford development? Everything is gone quiet and the buildings are just boarded up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

dzilla wrote: »
    Anybody hear anything about the Waterford development? Everything is gone quiet and the buildings are just boarded up.

Have you checked has a planning permission application been lodged?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yeah i enjoyed the tavern far more for some reason
    I never liked the old forty foot, have yet to be in the new one but still looks sterile like the old one, like a hotel bar or a crappy nightclub or something.

While I always liked the previous pubs in the tavern's spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Given all this, it's incredibly difficult to predict whether they'll increase again, or whether they might cut them back down a bit at some point. Wetherspoons have announced price cuts for UK pubs in the past, so at the very least it's not unheard of for their prices to decrease on occasion as well

They sure do my local spoons in the UK knocked between 10p and 50p off most drinks and food offerings as the other local pubs had started offers themselves. Got to love competition and no VFI price fixing. :)
    Not relevant to Ireland but just had to get the good news out there!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭kooga

menu from the sandpiper wetherspoons glasgow airport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The one in Cork looks like it's almost ready to open.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Two and a half weeks to go, though I think they opened in Blanchardstown ahead of schedule, didn't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

BeerNut wrote: »
    Two and a half weeks to go, though I think they opened in Blanchardstown ahead of schedule, didn't they?

No, publin.ie got their dates wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

They're not particularly cheap in Glasgow airport, with pints at 4.50. Lack of competition, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Cheaper than Stansted though.
    It's showing up as £3.55 for a can of sweet action, and i was charged £4.35 in the Stansted JDW on Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Airport rents can be hideous, and often calculated as a % of turnover meaning low margin businesses need to ramp pricing up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Lucena wrote: »
    They're not particularly cheap in Glasgow airport, with pints at 4.50. Lack of competition, I'd imagine.

Airport 'Spoons, particularly in London, are always a bit of a ripoff - the one in Gatwick doesn't even have the beer and burger deals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭thevinylword

Any sign of one coming to Limerick or Kerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

There's over a pound in the difference between the Spoons in central Birmingham and BHX airport. I wouldn't use the airport prices to get an accurate picture of pricing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Hobgoblin is €1.50 a pint at the moment in Blanch, might be all of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Also SixPoint cans at 1.50 from 29-Aug, manager's special deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/sep/03/scotlands-minimum-alcohol-price-plan-dealt-huge-blow.

Looks like it's curtains for the nanny state proposal here as well.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/sep/03/scotlands-minimum-alcohol-price-plan-dealt-huge-blow.

They could look to reinstate ban on the below cost selling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

I suspect if other EU countries challenged Ireland's recent habit of disproportionately lobbing a euro on a bottle of wine, it could be deemed to be against free trade.

• Advertisement

oblivious wrote: »

apparently very little of this goes on, in the UK they did investigate and only 3 or 4 obsucre brands were below cost. I have never seen evidence of it here in Ireland, only publicans trying to make fools out of the public. I am pretty sure some own brand spirits are below cost, but not the mainstream beers like the publicans would want you to think.

I hope it's revealed how much that Deputy Varadkar has squandered in admin so far -knowing full well about the likely embarrassing mistake the scots had already made.

Once bitten, twice shy as foolish

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    I suspect if other EU countries challenged Ireland's recent habit of disproportionately lobbing a euro on a bottle of wine, it could be deemed to be against free trade.
    That's just excise duty, I doubt there is anything to argue against. The min pricing was quite a different thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

rubadub wrote: »

That's just excise duty, I doubt there is anything to argue against. The min pricing was quite a different thing.

There's plenty to argue about if you're a European wine exporting country and ireland is showing favouritism to its native beer industry by charging disproportionately more excess on alcohol in wine.

Pint of Steeple red ale in Rising Sons, €5.60 for a hopped watee.
    Wetherspoons will hopefully shake things up.
    I'd still go somewhere like Dennehys as well though, as it's a grand pub with nice pints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

@rubadub - Do not drag this thread down by name-calling. If you cannot be civil - do not post.

tHB

8th July 2014 to 8th Sep 2015.

5 pubs opened in 14 months.

Good going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Anybody know why nothing seems to be happening with Hanlons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭poitinstill

the Cork one had a Training day yesterday...didn't get to it myself.. interested to know the prices on opening as it seems the Dublin outlets opened high dropped low and are back up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭out da lough

Pint of Steeple red ale in Rising Sons, €5.60 for a hopped watee.
    Wetherspoons will hopefully shake things up.
    I'd still go somewhere like Dennehys as well though, as it's a grand pub with nice pints.

€5.60 for a pint made on the premises?

That seems excessive.

From what I'm reading, JDW Blackrock TTT are launching a new menu this week.

See here:

https://www.facebook.com/TheThreeTunTavern/posts/970487222990558

Beamish is back to 2.50 - did it go up to 3.50 recently, or am I thinking of JDW Blanch?

"Craft" 33cl / 355ml bottles and cans are 2.45 - isn't this a drop back, after a previous rise?

Some whiskey is cut by 1.00 for a single.

A quote from JDW Swords about pricing in various pubs:

"The Old Borough, Swords Hi Claire. The prices at The Old Borough are the standards Wetherspoon prices, similar to those that are in our pubs across the UK (and also Blanchardstown). The prices at the two pubs in South Dublin were introduced at a lower level when the company first opened in Ireland. As more Wetherspoon pubs open in Ireland (Cork for example in September) it will be clear that the prices at The Old Borough and Blanchardstown are the standard prices, and still extremely good value for money."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Geuze wrote: »
    The prices at the two pubs in South Dublin were introduced at a lower level when the company first opened in Ireland.
    It's about time somebody did something for the people of Blackrock and Dún Laoghaire. Well done, Mr Wetherspoon. Well done.

• Advertisement

A quote from JDW Swords about pricing in various pubs:

"The Old Borough, Swords Hi Claire. The prices at The Old Borough are the standards Wetherspoon prices, similar to those that are in our pubs across the UK (and also Blanchardstown). The prices at the two pubs in South Dublin were introduced at a lower level when the company first opened in Ireland. As more Wetherspoon pubs open in Ireland (Cork for example in September) it will be clear that the prices at The Old Borough and Blanchardstown are the standard prices, and still extremely good value for money."

So am I reading it right that the three tuns and 40 foot are going to priced lower than the rest of the chain in Ireland ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

From what I'm reading, JDW Blackrock TTT are launching a new menu this week.

See here:

https://www.facebook.com/TheThreeTunTavern/posts/970487222990558

Beamish is back to 2.50 - did it go up to 3.50 recently, or am I thinking of JDW Blanch?

"Craft" 33cl / 355ml bottles and cans are 2.45 - isn't this a drop back, after a previous rise?

Some whiskey is cut by 1.00 for a single.

Yeah, everything just looks like it was before July. Except they've changed a couple of things on the menu - eg, Carlsberg and Fosters replacing Bitburger and Innis and Gunn Lager. Strange that they put the prices up for two months and then bring them back down. Maybe so they could make it look cheaper in comparison again? The one is Cork opened at the higher price, so hopefully that'll see a drop in price, similar to the Three Tun Tavern a few weeks after it opened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

€5.60 for a pint made on the premises?

That seems excessive.
    Careful now, you wouldn't want be accused of price-whinging, that's frowned upon in these quarters :rolleyes: ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Lots of new crap on the menu for Blanch. Bud, WKD, Magners, Bulmers no 17 all bottle format. Some crap called hooch.

Grey goose Vodka and Vanilla absolute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

It's about time somebody did something for the people of Blackrock and Dún Laoghaire. Well done, Mr Wetherspoon. Well done.
    pay back time, people in these areas are likely to be done on motor tax, income tax and property tax :D

So am I reading it right that the three tuns and 40 foot are going to priced lower than the rest of the chain in Ireland ?
    I took it to mean expect an increase.

The first 2 were really low so it got talked about more. Unless they are struggling for customers I would expect it to rise so all eventually are at "the standard price". But maybe that can afford to be cheaper in those locations, I remember scotts bar sold for very little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

In a country where upto 70% of the price of booze is tax, so called below cost selling is pretty much a myth.

Prices in Cork branch are fairly good considering the location. You may argue that €3.50 for Beamish is not great when it can be got cheaper elsewhere but then again you would pay about €4.50 for a Beamish in one of the chain pubs.
    €2.50 for a Cask Ale is excellent, paid €5.00 for one in the Fran Well.
    Go out with €20 and get 5 or 6 pints of Doombar ( my personal favourite) or Abbot Ale and a meal.
    Excellent value.

syklops wrote: »
    In a country where upto 70% of the price of booze is tax, so called below cost selling is pretty much a myth.

A pub pint of 4.3% stout at 4.10 includes tax as follows:

77 cent VAT

55 cent excise

That's 32% of the retail price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭dzilla

Prices in Cork branch are fairly good considering the location. You may argue that €3.50 for Beamish is not great when it can be got cheaper elsewhere but then again you would pay about €4.50 for a Beamish in one of the chain pubs.
    €2.50 for a Cask Ale is excellent, paid €5.00 for one in the Fran Well.
    Go out with €20 and get 5 or 6 pints of Doombar ( my personal favourite) or Abbot Ale and a meal.
    Excellent value.

Is it nice inside there? Was in Cork last 2 weekends was bulling I didnt get to get in there

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »

A retail can of 4.3% Guinness at 1.75 contains tax as follows:

32.73 cent VAT

48.48 cent excise duty

That's 81.2 cent in total.

That's 46.4% of the off-licence price.

I hope people won't continue to make throwaway remarks about "70% of the price of alcohol is tax".

(It might be close to 70% in the case of cheap spirits)

dzilla wrote: »
    Is it nice inside there? Was in Cork last 2 weekends was bulling I didnt get to get in there

It only opened this week, on 8th Sep.

www.jdwetherspoon.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

@Gueuze

Are tax and VAT calculated by selling price? i.e. Dunnes want to sell a beer at 1 euro, so it's 1 euro + VAT + excise

Or is it purely on the amount of alcohol in the beer?

Or a mix of both?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

@Gueuze

Are tax and VAT calculated by selling price? i.e. Dunnes want to sell a beer at 1 euro, so it's 1 euro + VAT + excise

Or a mix of both?

VAT is on selling price. I think excise is on the alcohol content.

@Gueuze

Or a mix of both?

The consumer is the ultimate payer of VAT.

Revenue will have collect their payment for the excise on the alcohol content that will be paid before release, but will be added to the wholesale price

(It might be close to 70% in the case of cheap spirits)
    It would be more, I have said this is the only case where I believe below cost selling is taking place, however the vitners and whinging pubs do not talk about that, they are usually making out that hte mainstream beers like heineken are being sold below cost. I actually wondered if they were keeping quiet so as not to alert the people who stash spirits into pubs!

You can get 700ml of 37.5% rum for €11.69 in tesco, I would take it over bacardi too BTW. That is 19.7 pub measures so 59cent per measure. Been that price for months.

So if I am calculating right that is €2.18 VAT + €11.17 excise duty.

Also the poster did say "up to". I only buy canned guinness when its €1 a can, which would be just under 70% going in tax.

@Gueuze

Or a mix of both?

Excise is 22.55 per hectolitre per %.

See excise rates here:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/excise/duties/excise-duty-rates.html

VAT is normal, same as any goods. Final price includes 23% VAT.

So for a 5.00 pint, divide 5.00/1.23 to get 406.50, pre VAT price.

So on a 5 euro pint, VAT is 93.5 cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭out da lough

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Careful now, you wouldn't want be accused of price-whinging, that's frowned upon in these quarters :rolleyes: ;)

Sorry, of course that is not what I meant. I was merely pointing out that some back kitchen beer is being offered for sale out the front for €5.60.

In a brewery that hardly has a "tradition" or "craft" heritage, seeing as it only seems to be open for a year or two.

I'm sure it is vastly superior to Adnams Ghost Ship Ale which is now for sale in The Linen Weaver around the corner for €2.50 a pint.

I mean, it must be, mustn't it? It's like more than twice the price after all.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Anybody know why nothing seems to be happening with Hanlons?

Have they definitely bought it? Can't see anything official

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Simon201

maximoose wrote: »
    Have they definitely bought it? Can't see anything official

I think it was just a rumour. Pity, I'm only down the road. It's the right size for them but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be right for them location wise, going by pubs they've opened here so far.

Ah well at least 'The Grange' pub has opened up again after being closed for a few years!

Advertisement