Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The rougher pubs are/were (Mother Kellys being closed now) on Talbot Street - both on Store Street, the ones I've been to on Amiens Street and the ones on Abbey Street have all been fine, even without bouncers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

L1011 wrote: »
    The rougher pubs are/were (Mother Kellys being closed now) on Talbot Street - both on Store Street, the ones I've been to on Amiens Street and the ones on Abbey Street have all been fine, even without bouncers.
    Cheaper prices will attract people from a few blocks away though, you can be guaranteed Mother Kellys former regulars will be over for a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

They will be pissed off that they can't sit at the bar and getting served by an 18 year old.

Prices won't be that cheap either unless they switch to cask.

The beer selection may scare them away too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The beer selection may scare them away too

They have everything now bar Guinness.

Heni, Bud, Coors, Fosters, carlsberg and Bulmers in pint bottles

Cheaper prices will attract people from a few blocks away though, you can be guaranteed Mother Kellys former regulars will be over for a look

Where have they gone in the interim?

The Master Mariner was rather rough from memory but its regulars don't prop up the bar in Brew Dock - although the prices will certainly help that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Every time a spoons has opened in Ireland the retort has been "it will attract the wrong crowd".

It didn't in Blackrock, it didn't in Dun Laogharie, it didn't in Cork, it didn't in Swords and it didn't in Blanchardstown.

So why would it in Dublin City Centre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

It didn't in Blackrock, it didn't in Dun Laogharie, it didn't in Cork, it didn't in Swords and it didn't in Blanchardstown.

Blanchardstown is more expensive than BL or DL. I wonder is there price-tuning going on to determine a threshold at which you won't get the "wrong" crowd. From my own experience a majority of clientele in Blanch seem to be East European.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Every time a spoons has opened in Ireland the retort has been "it will attract the wrong crowd".

So why would it in Dublin City Centre?

Cork branch can have an interesting clientele from time to time.

• Advertisement

I suspect the "wrong crowd" in most areas are going to be anti-English, yet also anti-not-showing-Premiership, want pints of macro lagers they may not have and generally find the atmosphere far too odd for them. And will avoid like the plague as a result. Cork is special - sure, look how they greeted Lizzie :pac:

In the UK (in general - there are exceptions) you get the quiet all day alcos but very little of the scum. The Lloyds #1 get those, obviously Tim Martin feels there's enough cash to be made from targeting them in some places

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

IMG_20161202_112046.jpg

Think most have been here before.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Camden Street has been referred to Bord Pleanála. With the late nights and the loud music and the I-don't-want-to-read-anything-about-how-the-company-does-business-I-know-what-a-superpub-is-thank-you.

On my way to the Linen Weaver now, for a night of fine beers and fine food. I shall report back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

From what i see in the forty foot, the wrong crowd have 1 chance only to behave themselves, they cant, so are barred within a week or so of first using the premises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

ciaran76 wrote: »
    IMG_20161202_112046.jpg

Think most have been here before.

Hope they're not all Christmas ales. I'm usually done after one fruity spicy beer.

• Advertisement

British Christmas ales don't usually have fruit and spices added. I'd say most of these don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

BeerNut wrote: »
    British Christmas ales don't usually have fruit and spices added. I'd say most of these don't.

Cool. Any particular characteristic apart from dark?

Nope. They're not even always dark. It's almost as if beer is made up as it goes along.

No festival ales in The Linen Weaver last night. Hobgoblin was on and it was poor, Ghost ship was better and the Shipyard was nice.
    Food portions were miserable.
    The manager in there wouldn't manage a fantasy football team.
    Went to Rising Sons afterwards, had Midaza stout which was crap and a Franciscan well special which a standard smooth flow.

had Midaza stout which was crap.

You're not well.

Mi Dazza is one of the best beers produced in Ireland. Fantastic stout!

• Advertisement

Link to 'Spoons christmas real ale list.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/christmas/christmas-ales

Final planning hurdle for Camden Street has been cleared, by the looks of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You can order from your table using the JDW smartphone app. It involves paying electronically when placing the order, the person who delivers the goods to your table will not take cash.

The JDW website mentions Android Pay & Apple pay but the only payment option I can see for the Three Tun Tavern is credit card...

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/order-and-pay-app

Android Pay is for contactless payments only. Not for online, which is what the at-table ordering is.

Android Pay works at the tills in 'spoons, and at anywhere else that accepts contactless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

n97 mini wrote: »
    Android Pay is for contactless payments only. Not for online, which is what the at-table ordering is.

Android Pay works at the tills in 'spoons, and at anywhere else that accepts contactless.

Not correct, see here: https://www.android.com/intl/en_ie/pay/

It's also for online payments, sending a virtual card number (single use), protecting your card from online fraud, amongst other uses.

Can we just accept for the moment that the JDW pubs in Ireland will only accept 'Order & Pay' (smartphone app) payments via credit card and leave discussion about other payment methods for another day?

Avada wrote: »
    Not correct, see here: https://www.android.com/intl/en_ie/pay/

It's also for online payments, sending a virtual card number (single use), protecting your card from online fraud, amongst other uses.

It always uses a virtual card number.

Have you been able to use it online? I haven't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

It always uses a virtual card number.

Have you been able to use it online? I haven't.

Yep. Has to be enabled on the site as a payment method.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Seems handier just to order at the bar tbh

Seems handier just to order at the bar tbh

Not if you're by yourself and even if you're there with friends, each of you has to go to the bar to order and pay without that new system.

Not being able to place an order with a waiter/ess at the table makes a difference if you have coats, tablets, mobile phones etc. to worry about - thieves are everywhere these day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

The first spoons to close in Derry has reopened in just under 5 days using the same name, The Diamond. They are claiming that they have "Derry's largest selection of draught beers"(18 taps), mainly made up of C&C brands and boasting an impressive 14 pale lagers. :rolleyes:

A grand total of 1 beer is Irish owned, Dublin Blonde. Not even something to get excited about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

irish_goat wrote: »
    The first spoons to close in Derry has reopened in just under 5 days using the same name, The Diamond. They are claiming that they have "Derry's largest selection of draught beers"(18 taps), mainly made up of C&C brands and boasting an impressive 14 pale lagers. :rolleyes:

A grand total of 1 beer is Irish owned, Dublin Blonde. Not even something to get excited about.

Is C&C not Irish?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

In fairness, the pub isn't anything to get excited about anyway. I was in it once a few years ago, it was possibly one of the most depressing pubs I've ever set foot in. It was essentially a big room for drinking in rather than a pub.

Seve OB wrote: »
    Is C&C not Irish?

They're a big multinational, so not really.

They're a big multinational, so not really.

HQed in Ireland.

Would you consider Glanbia, Ornua or CRH to not be Irish? Where do you consider C&C to be from, then?

HQed in Ireland.

Would you consider Glanbia, Ornua or CRH to not be Irish? Where do you consider C&C to be from, then?

Ornua is a co-op but the other 2 are just large multinationals as well. C&C is mainly owned by foreigners so where they have their head office doesn't make much of a difference, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

irish_goat wrote:
    Ornua is a co-op but the other 2 are just large multinationals as well. C&C is mainly owned by foreigners so where they have their head office doesn't make much of a difference, imo.

Pretty much like Guinness, I think Diagio is owned by some Brazilian guy now. Something is Irish if it suits there marketing purposes but I have no doubt that they'd pack up and move somewhere else if it saved them more money.

Have you personally inspected the share registers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Buckfast W wrote: »
    Pretty much like Guinness, I think Diagio is owned by some Brazilian guy now. Something is Irish if it suits there marketing purposes but I have no doubt that they'd pack up and move somewhere else if it saved them more money.

Diageo are based in London, so Guinness is British. As well as being watery ****e!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Lucena wrote:
    Diageo are based in London, so Guinness is British. As well as being watery ****e!

Ah yeah they've been British for years, I believe (and I'm open to correction) that during the troubles and bombing campaign in Britain Diagio we're considering marketing Guinness as British and not Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I read somewhere once there was some sort of tax dispute with the Irish exchequer in the 1930s and Guinness moved their corporate HQ to London at the time to lower their corporate taxes (that's pretty ironic from today's point of view, but their corporate HQ is still there.)

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The first spoons to close in Derry has reopened in just under 5 days using the same name, The Diamond.

That Spoons on the Diamond in Derry was my first ever experience, way back in 1999 . I was driving from Dublin to Moville in Donegal and fancied and break and a bite to eat. Being a student I didnt have many coins to rattle but a burger, chips and drink for £2.50 was too good to resist. I placed my order, paid and sat down.

In less than three minutes the burger came out to me, preceded by the ding of the microwave. I took one bite and it was rubber as fcuk. While chewing it down a massive fight broke out at the bar. All the barstaff scrambled to the safety of the kitchen as punches were being thrown. For a brief minute I sat there munching through a rubber burger with a full on 8 man scrap going on in front of me. At that point I decided the burger wasnt worth it and left.

Good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,137 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Muahahaha wrote: »
    That Spoons on the Diamond in Derry was my first ever experience, way back in 1999 . I was driving from Dublin to Moville in Donegal and fancied and break and a bite to eat. Being a student I didnt have many coins to rattle but a burger, chips and drink for £2.50 was too good to resist. I placed my order, paid and sat down.

In less than three minutes the burger came out to me, preceded by the ding of the microwave. I took one bite and it was rubber as fcuk. While chewing it down a massive fight broke out at the bar. All the barstaff scrambled to the safety of the kitchen as punches were being thrown. For a brief minute I sat there munching through a rubber burger with a full on 8 man scrap going on in front of me. At that point I decided the burger wasnt worth it and left.

Good times.

You got food and free mma for 2.50

That's a bargain

I read somewhere once there was some sort of tax dispute with the Irish exchequer in the 1930s and Guinness moved their corporate HQ to London at the time to lower their corporate taxes (that's pretty ironic from today's point of view, but their corporate HQ is still there.)

It was due to the Irish government refusing to pay ground rents to British absentee landlords so the Brits imposed sanctions on Irish imports and so to circumvent the sanctions Guinness moved their to London, the period was known as the economic war, although in reality there was ever only going to be one winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Muahahaha wrote: »

Good times.

What was in Moville

• Advertisement

D Trent wrote: »
    What was in Moville

At the time I was doing a few weeks work up there before going back to studies. Moville is a great little town, as are Redcastle and Greencastle on the Inishowen peninsula too ;)

Lucena wrote: »

Guinness HQ moved to London in the 80s, but Diageo's shareholders are worldwide, including thousands in Ireland, who originally owned Guinness shares.

Had the Weathersppons Traditional Breakfast earlier today. Server allowed me to swap the beans and tomato for an extra egg and sausage. Came with toast and coffee, all for 5.50, total bargain.

If I have it right, work on Camden St is going to start next, with full planning permission recently granted. Waterford and Carlow were granted planning permission quite a while ago (10 months and 2 years ago respectively), so if I was a betting man I'd say it doesn't look good for either of these locations.

If I have it right, work on Camden St is going to start next, with full planning permission recently granted. Waterford and Carlow were granted planning permission quite a while ago (10 months and 2 years ago respectively), so if I was a betting man I'd say it doesn't look good for either of these locations.

Waterford and Carlow are not proceeding at present according to Tim Martin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement