Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The 40 Foot feels like drinking on a ferry. Airports have more coming and going to them.

I've had some good times drinking on a ferry, tbh, but it not something I'd specifically seek out.

Weirdly, the converted nightclub (The Great Wood) is the one that feels most like a proper pub to me. Went past today about 4 and every outside seat was rammed in the sun; has had an OK crowd and atmosphere at the most random times I've gone in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

L1011 wrote: »
    The 40 Foot feels like drinking on a ferry. Airports have more coming and going to them.

I've had some good times drinking on a ferry, tbh, but it not something I'd specifically seek out.

It can get busy on Friday/Saturday night. I was there a few weeks ago on Paddy's weekend when United were playing Wolves and they had it on a big screen upstairs and it was packed.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    It can get busy on Friday/Saturday night. I was there a few weeks ago on Paddy's weekend when United were playing Wolves and they had it on a big screen upstairs and it was packed.

Ferries get busy too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Speaking of 40 Foot, will be there this evening first time in a Spoons in about two years, what cask ales do they have these days, still Ghostship?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Still Ghost Ship, and Abbot's. On Saturday there was also Ilkley Ruby Jane, Gadd's She Sells Sea Shells, Flack Manor Flack Catcher, and spring festival specials Shepherd Neame Hop County and Boxing Cat/Banks's Contender.

BeerNut wrote:
    Still Ghost Ship, and Abbot's. On Saturday there was also Ilkley Ruby Jane, Gadd's She Sells Sea Shells, Flack Manor Flack Catcher, and spring festival specials Shepherd Neame Hop County and Boxing Cat/Banks's Contender.

Cheers, haven't tasted any of those apart from Ghostship and Abbots

Looking at Untappd, the line-up seems to have changed not long after I was there.

Cheers, didnt think to look on Untapped, Tripadvisor has them as closed on a Tuesday, obviously a mistake?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Cheers, didnt think to look on Untapped, Tripadvisor has them as closed on a Tuesday, obviously a mistake?

It's open Tuesday aye. Google Maps tends to be more reliable than TripAdvisor these days I find.

On cask now of the ones you mentioned BeerNut are Seas Shells and Ruby Jane, plus they have Hen in Black, Crafty Fox and Hideaway, Id say place is about 40% blokes in their early 20s (at the latest) in tracksuits, no hassle and quiet enough though, loving the Hen in Black stout myself. A steal at 2.60 for all the ask ales too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

On cask now of the ones you mentioned BeerNut are Seas Shells and Ruby Jane, plus they have Hen in Black, Crafty Fox and Hideaway, Id say place is about 40% blokes in their early 20s (at the latest) in tracksuits, no hassle and quiet enough though, loving the Hen in Black stout myself. A steal at 2.60 for all the ask ales too.

You can install the app on your phone and see the prices/availability of the regular beers without even needing to go into the venue.

I've noticed myself that, depending on the night, the clientele varies. Thursdays and the 40 Foot will be wedged with students. Same night in the Great Wood sees a lot of Travellers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I was in Blackrock Wetherspoons for the first time the other night man the bar staff there are bad was waiting the guts of 15 mins to be served not because there was a big queue but because there were only 2 staff plus what looked the manager behind the bar DL are bad but not this bad. I presume the reason why Guiness isn't served is because the bar staff probably wouldn't be able to pull a good pint as most are students rather than professional bar staff as they are selling most other brand name beers now such as Budweiser, Carlsberg and Heineken.

Some of the clientele seemed a bit on the rough side DL seems to attract more so a young student type crowd whereas this gets a bit of an older crowd. Also some idiot got sick right in the middle of the floor when I was there which the manager had the unenviable job of cleaning up.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I presume the reason why Guiness isn't served is because the bar staff probably wouldn't be able to pull a good pint as most are students rather than professional bar staff as they are selling most other brand name beers now such as Budweiser, Carlsberg and Heineken.

They don't sell Guinness because they couldn't get Diageo to sell it to them at a decent price. I assume Heinken were only too happy to offer Beamish at an attractive price.

The days of "pulling" a good pint of stout are long gone as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

If I remember correctly around the time of the first spoon’s opening it was also mentioned that they didn’t want Guinness to be sold cheaper there as they wanted to keep the price the same across Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Spoons were importing Guinness from the UK originally, publicans had a meltdown about, diageo international threatened to pull guinness from their UK pubs if they didn't stop importing (much cheaper) kegs from the UK and selling them in Ireland.

These kegs were brewed in Ireland btw, exact same kegs that are sold to pubs in Thomas Street... sold for far less in the UK, even accounting for VAT and excise differences, purly because they can price gauge in Ireland and like lambs we'll just put up with it. Heineken International on the other hand had no problems price matching uk and Ireland for the same of increased business form 'spoons.

Result was spoons just stopped selling Guinness in Ireland because they refused to pay substantially more for the same kegs in Ireland, and they're dead right. VFI/IVF cartel of course instead of asking why Diageo are ripping them off, had a meltdown that someone was able to undercut their prices.

Heineken International on the other hand had no problems
    Heineken had big problems but blinked first when JDW faced them down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Any update on the opening date for the Abbey street pub?

I was in 4 JDWS last week, all in Scotland.

Some prices from towns outside Glasgow:

Real ale = 1.85 - 1.99, so approx 2.20-2.40 euro

Guinness = I think I saw 2.55, so 3 euro

Aspall Premier Cru cider 7% 50cl bottle = 2.99, so 3.50 euro

Chicken/bacon panini + chips + pint = 5.49, so about 6.50 euro

Some prices in pubs in Glasgow:

G&T 25ml = 2.90

2G&T 50ml = 3.95

Real ales and keg ales = 1.99 - 2.49

Guinness = 3.29

Punk IPA = 3.79 pint

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

Abbey street is still on schedule for 31st May.Thats from 1 of the managers that will be moving there.

• Advertisement

Phoenix3 wrote: »
    Abbey street is still on schedule for 31st May.Thats from 1 of the managers that will be moving there.

Any updates?

Can probably be taken as a given this isn't opening tomorrow now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/opening-time-in-ireland

Opening time in Ireland
    Wetherspoon is opening two new pubs in the Republic of Ireland in the coming months.

We are opening The Tullow Gate, in Carlow, County Carlow (Wed 1 May) and The Silver Penny, in Dublin (end of May/early–mid June).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭donaghs

Looks like Camden St, dublin 2 is delayed too (early next year):
    " by early next year when it will open its planned super-pub/hotel property on Dublin's Camden Street."

Will have to keep waiting for cheap pints of IPA in Dublin city centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

donaghs wrote: »
    Looks like Camden St, dublin 2 is delayed too (early next year):
    " by early next year when it will open its planned super-pub/hotel property on Dublin's Camden Street."

Will have to keep waiting for cheap pints of IPA in Dublin city centre

Yeah, their banner on the site changed from 'Autumn 2019', to 'January 2020' a while ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Can’t wait for the two city centre ones to open. Reckon they’ll be mobbed. You can now drink or pre drink for nearly what you would at home!

The Camden st one in particular I’m looking forward to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Cask is quite disappointing in Cork. A lot of them seem to taste the same or not as exciting as other WD pubs. Could be me, these days, but I was in Scotland not so long ago and the cask ales were top notch. Tbh, it wasn't a Wetherspoon though.

In comparative terms, the Blackrock, Dublin WD pub offered up relatively the same menu in terms of cask ale and it felt a lot more palatable.

Would there be something amiss in terms of how the final output reaches the glass? I find a lot of them to be well above room temperature too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Chelon

In the 40 foot on Friday they only had 2 on cask, which was disappointing. One was I think a citrus IPA (not my thing) so tried the Peaky Blinders stout, which tasted ok but was completely devoid of a head. Normally I find the cask excellent in Wetherspoons either here or in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Geuze wrote: »
    Any updates?

The building is finally scaffolding free within the last few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Due to open on Friday 21st now.

• Advertisement

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Due to open on Friday 21st now.

Thanks.

Sorry for asking again, but I will be in Dublin this Sat, so I would like to visit this new pub, that's why I am looking for updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It will be great to finally have at least one pub in the city centre where you know you can have pints that are value for money. Its been a long time coming, thats for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭SteM

I'll steer clear of this place for the first few weeks to let it settle down I think.

Yes, I know what you mean, but I'm only in Dublin maybe once a year, so I will be there on Sat if it's open.

It's a hive of activity this afternoon, serving invited customers as part of the staff training. I'm guessing they might do a sneaky public opening before Friday.

A friend popped in today without an invitation and was greeted with a warm welcome and a voucher for a pint and food.
    Sent me on a few pictures. Looks very nice inside.

Manager was noncommittal on Friday as an opening date as there's apparently some hold.uo on the license.

Might pop in this weekend for a pint of real ale myself if they manage to get the doors open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Took my chances when I read that^ and strolled down at lunchtime.

Officially open next week, they are doing staff training days this week and are giving out free meals with one free drink.

The pub is massive, much bigger than I thought from outside. Looks well, nice and bright inside.

Took a few pics of the menu and prices:

https://imgur.com/a/qv3CgqI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Some beer prices from today.

John Smiths = 2.95

Cask = 3.25

Beamish = 3.45

Carlsberg = 3.75

Redbreast expensive at 8.95???

It's 6.50 in Co. Sligo.

Although the double at 10.95 is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭SteM

Redbreast expensive at 8.95???

It's 6.50 in Co. Sligo.

Although the double at 10.95 is good.

Location, location, location......

Some beer prices from today.

John Smiths = 2.95

Cask = 3.25

Beamish = 3.45

Carlsberg = 3.75

It's been a long time since a pint in Dublin could be got for cheaper than a pint in Derry. :)

You guys should get your own Wetherspoon.

errlloyd wrote: »

But over dramatic there from DublinLive.

It's literally a case of needing a lad with a clipboard to walk around the building, tick a few boxes and sign a form. The only hold up is getting the lad and his clipboard in the door.

BeerNut wrote: »
    You guys should get your own Wetherspoon.

The wounds are still sore. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

"Gin Palace" that's hardly going to go down well.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭the explorer

Was the service reasonably quick for food? I might pop in for lunch if I could be in and out in 30-40 mins.

Was the service reasonably quick for food?
    It might be different during training, but food service at JDW is usually more or less instant. Pretty much everything is pre-prepared and microwaved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Just out of interest, does the phone app work in Ireland?

It's proved very convenient on the three occasions I've been in a JDW in the last 12 months - especially in the airport when on my own!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭AhhHere

theteal wrote: »
    Just out of interest, does the phone app work in Ireland?

It's proved very convenient on the three occasions I've been in a JDW in the last 12 months - especially in the airport when on my own!

It does and it's the only way I order. Much quicker and easier

Advertisement