Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭sceach16

Is it open for normal business?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

hynesie08 wrote: »
    The King's Inn is a belting boozer, between the Dominic St and Broadstone luas stops.

The Kings Inn is a great example of a renovation done right. It has completely modernised it's fixtures and fittings, but still seems like the old pub. Feels like nothing has changed despite it being closed for 18 months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

I notice the Dun Laghaoire one is a good bit cheaper? Are the prices different in each Dublin Spoons?

Beamish 2.95 in DL, 3.45 in Abbey St

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I notice the Dun Laghaoire one is a good bit cheaper? Are the prices different in each Dublin Spoons?

Beamish 2.95 in DL, 3.45 in Abbey St

Prices vary by location always.

A spoons in London city centre is a lot more expensive than a spoons In North Wales.

Sure 3.45 Beamish is not far off the 3.70 Guinness in the Snug on Stephens St. Bit more of an atmosphere there too....:D Grand spot although maybe not somewhere to bring a date lol

A spoons in London city centre is a lot more expensive than a spoons In North Wales.
    But Dun Laoghaire is a wealthier area, so charging cheaper prices vs Abbey Street seems like an attempt to keep out the riff raff. I did think at first them starting out in Blackrock and Dun Laoghaire was the idea there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Prices here seem to work differently. Blanch is usually the most expensive. The cynic in me would suspect it's to price out certain clientele, rather than being based on commercial rates (I would say rent, except they own all their bars).

But Dun Laoghaire is a wealthier area, so charging cheaper prices vs Abbey Street seems like an attempt to keep out the riff raff. I did think at first them starting out in Blackrock and Dun Laoghaire was the idea there.

The property in DL is substantially cheaper for them than property in Dublin city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Does the Silver Penny have any terrace / beer garden? Thinking will be needed when summer eventually arrives...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

n97 mini wrote: »
    Prices here seem to work differently. Blanch is usually the most expensive. The cynic in me would suspect it's to price out certain clientele, rather than being based on commercial rates (I would say rent, except they own all their bars).
    I'd say you're right, but I've never been in the Blanch one whats the vibe like there?

Also not sure the names of some of them are that great regardless of historical links. The Silver Penny, The Great Wood, The Old Borough etc. Whats the one on Camden going to be called? People I've chatted to just called em Weatherspoons regardless.

The property in DL is substantially cheaper for them than property in Dublin city centre.
    Substantially cheaper? That's surprising.

Substantially cheaper? That's surprising.

Not really. Smaller client base, less nearby bars and restaurants to bring potential passing trade through increased footfall in the general area. Demand for retail and hospitality venues in villages like DL or Blackrock is infinitely lower than city centre areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

In wetherspoons in glasgow during the weekend. Loved it sit down have the app order food on it and get it quick. Good food and cheap. However what I want is Tim Hortons here in limerick

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Does the Silver Penny have any terrace / beer garden?
    Yes, on the roof.

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    Yes, on the roof.

Oooooooohhh potential suntrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Oooooooohhh potential suntrap.

Just need sun

Just need sun

Don't ruin the dream man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Funnily enough I passed by it at 6:30PM and the two gates at the front appeared to be locked.

Funnily enough I passed by it at 6:30PM and the two gates at the front appeared to be locked.

Because it's not open yet. Obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I'd say you're right, but I've never been in the Blanch one whats the vibe like there?

Reminds one of renaissance Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Of the lot I've been to since their rebrands I actually preferred Blanch - DL is like drinking on a ferry and Blackrock was just utterly bland. Swords I was last in in 2006, so well before 'spoons.

Blanch is a converted nightclub, the massively high ceilings give it away a bit.

Is there a rough crowd in Swords or Blanch? Was a young pre drinks kind of crowd last time in Dun Laoghaire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

L1011 wrote: »
    Of the lot I've been to since their rebrands I actually preferred Blanch - DL is like drinking on a ferry and Blackrock was just utterly bland. Swords I was last in in 2006, so well before 'spoons. Blanch is a converted nightclub, the massively high ceilings give it away a bit.

A 'static' ferry... with great views. One of the reasons why I like it :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Is there a rough crowd in Swords or Blanch?
    In my experience (and I'm rarely in any of them after dark) Dún Laoghaire is roughest but Swords too had a bit of an uncomfortable edge the one Saturday afternoon I was there last summer. The crowds I've encountered in Blackrock, Blanchardstown and Cork have been fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

My own experiences of spoons in Dublin would mostly be of Blanch. The only trouble I have seen there was a few years back when 3 travellers kicked off and started smashing glasses. A female (!) member of staff kicked them out and locked the doors. They ambled up towards the shopping centre unaware there was a Garda car waiting for each of them just off the mini roundabout. It was funny to watch from inside. Since then they seem to have upped security. They start earlier (used be 8pm) and at times there are up to 4 on site. I haven't seen any trouble since. There is usually a good number of Travellers there too, mostly on Thursday nights.

Dun Laoghaire gets a lot of prinking students on Thursday nights. Loud but mostly harmless.

Blackrock, premises are nice but it's dreary. I reckon most people in Blackrock don't drink :)

Swords, been in it only the once. Of the Dublin spoons it appealed to me least. Oddball layout and it's quite dark. Might be better in winter.

Of all the Dublin pubs, Blanch is the nicest. Big windows so that alcoholics can't hide from their wives, and a good place to bring the family, especially earlier in the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Blanch is a converted nightclub, the massively high ceilings give it away a bit.

I can't remember the exact history but it was never a night club in the traditional sense. It was a bar/pub that became a late music bar at night. I'm sure it was originally over 2 floors too, the upper being a mezzanine style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I actually like the DL one, views are fantastic from it and its my favourite. The Blanch one Im a bit put off by the warehouse feel to it though if you go upstairs the ceilings arent as high. It has a good beer garden too. Swords and Blackrock are a bit meh.

Have they said when Abbey St will be officially open?

Hurrache wrote: »
    I can't remember the exact history but it was never a night club in the traditional sense. It was a bar/pub that became a late music bar at night. I'm sure it was originally over 2 floors too, the upper being a mezzanine style.

Both Light and Heaven incarnations were pretty standard nightclub setups from what I remember; not sure about West.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/complexvisuals/albums/72157622671513693/

Heaven's all-flash website doesn't do the web archive very well but is all club-based too. And awful. And plays music when you go on it - don't go on it! http://web.archive.org/web/20081207162029/http://www.heaven.ie/main.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Both Light and Heaven incarnations were pretty standard nightclub setups from what I remember; not sure about West.

Heaven's all-flash website doesn't do the web archive very well but is all club-based too. And awful. And plays music when you go on it - don't go on it! http://web.archive.org/web/20081207162029/http://www.heaven.ie/main.html

They were definitely nightclubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

So, anyone any clue when Abbey St is officially opening?

maximoose wrote: »
    So, anyone any clue when Abbey St is officially opening?

DCC only has 2 or 3 fire safety officers (or whatever the title is). They are currently on a "work to rule" strike as they need more staff but DCC won't hire more so there's a growing backlog of work to be done. It shouldn't have taken more than a day or two, could be tomorrow or next week as it is though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

DCC only has 2 or 3 fire safety officers (or whatever the title is). They are currently on a "work to rule" strike as they need more staff but DCC won't hire more so there's a growing backlog of work to be done. It shouldn't have taken more than a day or two, could be tomorrow or next week as it is though.

What you talkin' 'bout Willis?

imme wrote: »
    What you talkin' 'bout Willis?

Just something I was told by a Dublin business person who's also had delays recently with the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I was in Abbey Street today, where they were doing one of the free pint/meal/tea voucher events. The manager on was nice enough and told me that they hope to be open in the middle of next week. The fire inspection is the main issue but he said that there's a few other minor loose ends to deal with as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

Heard Wetherspoons described as pubs for people who don't like pubs... Bit harsh perhaps but there is a certain truth to it.. A bit lacking in soul and remember one evening having to queue up in the Cork one like one does in McDonald's.. Service was incredibly slow and rather grudging.. Cheap though and that's its big strength

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

southstar wrote: »
    Heard Wetherspoons described as pubs for people who don't like pubs... Bit harsh perhaps but there is a certain truth to it.. A bit lacking in soul and remember one evening having to queue up in the Cork one like one does in McDonald's.. Service was incredibly slow and rather grudging.. Cheap though and that's its big strength

The service in Spoons is bloody awful and painfully slow could be standing there for the guts of 10 mins waiting to be served. DL is bad but Blackrock is even worse as it seems to be very understaffed or at least the night I was there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Stephen15 wrote: »
    The service in Spoons is bloody awful and painfully slow could be standing there for the guts of 10 mins waiting to be served.

That's why the app is magnificent.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Dellboy54

Stephen15 wrote: »
    The service in Spoons is bloody awful and painfully slow could be standing there for the guts of 10 mins waiting to be served. DL is bad but Blackrock is even worse as it seems to be very understaffed or at least the night I was there.

Try the wetherspoons app next time your in one.....Saves all the queuing ;)

• Advertisement

Might have been before those incarnations, but probably 18 years ago or so my wife used to work nearby and I'd occasionally meet her after work for a pint or two in there and from what I recall it was much more airier and brighter than those photos, more of a bar/dischco-bar style set up than what I would say a nightclub. It would have been an after work pints type place for people in the centre.

Might have been before those incarnations, but probably 18 years ago or so my wife used to work nearby and I'd occasionally meet her after work for a pint or two in there and from what I recall it was much more airier and brighter than those photos, more of a bar/dischco-bar style set up than what I would say a nightclub. It would have been an after work pints type place for people in the centre.

Is there any chance you've merged memories with Budabar/Buddha Bar (Can't remember the spelling and both turn up) where Krispy Kreme is now?

Nah, I defo remember Budabar! One visit to there was more than enough to sear its memory into my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

southstar wrote: »

That's just the majority of English pubs in general. They're not bar staff as we know them, just minimum wage kids who will only take one order at a time (this has to be policy and not just ineptitude). Go for a drink anywhere in London, they fcuking love queuing, it bugs the sh!t out of me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

theteal wrote: »
    That's just the majority of English pubs in general. They're not bar staff as we know them, just minimum wage kids who will only take one order at a time (this has to be policy and not just ineptitude). Go for a drink anywhere in London, they fcuking love queuing, it bugs the sh!t out of me.

Funny, I met Tim Martin in spoons in Derry and he was surprised that people were queuing. To be fair, the bar had a weird layout that kind of encouraged queues to form more than anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

irish_goat wrote: »
    Funny, I met Tim Martin in spoons in Derry and he was surprised that people were queuing. To be fair, the bar had a weird layout that kind of encouraged queues to form more than anything.

Well these days in a 'spoons there really shouldn't be queues, the app is a godsend. Generally though going out on a busy night anywhere (unless a proper Irish owned pub where orders and drinks will be flying across the bar left, right and centre!) it's one order at a time and hence a stupid queue. Also, modern English blokes don't necessarily drink pints anymore, nah g&t, amaretto & coke etc. , it'd put years on you.

Anyway, sorry to divert slightly OT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

theteal wrote:
    Well these days in a 'spoons there really shouldn't be queues, the app is a godsend. Generally though going out on a busy night anywhere (unless a proper Irish owned pub where orders and drinks will be flying across the bar left, right and centre!) it's one order at a time and hence a stupid queue. Also, modern English blokes don't necessarily drink pints anymore, nah g&t, amaretto & coke etc. , it'd put years on you.

Don't think the oul lad drunks Spoons attract use apps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Didn't know we had "oul lad drunks Spoons" in Eire yet me lord

Oul lad drunks aren't going to go to a pub that doesn't sell Guinness in my experience.

Didn't know we had "oul lad drunks Spoons" in Eire yet me lord
    The Forty Foot on a Saturday morning. Quite possibly The Forty Foot every morning, but Saturdays are the only mornings I'm ever there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I think when it was called West it was brighter styled pub with windows. Then it turned more into a nightclub/discobar styled but as Heaven/Light.
    Thats my memory anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement