Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Seaneh wrote: »
    They have already announced they plan to open 30 bars nationwide in the next few years so no real surprise that they are already looking at Cork. I'd expect Galway and Waterford to be next on their radar followed by the bigger towns like Sligo, Athlone, Kilkenny, Waterford, Dundalk, Drogheda, etc.

Stag/hen party towns might get a look in to, Mullingar, Carrick on Shannon etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I, for one, am looking forward to the arrival of our new overlords. More variety sounds like a very good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

irish_goat wrote: »
    Stag/hen party towns might get a look in to, Mullingar, Carrick on Shannon etc.

Who goes to Mullingar for a stag or hen? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Who goes to Mullingar for a stag or hen? :eek:

Maybe these guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljPFZrRD3J8&t=3m20s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Heard from a local publican that wetherspoons are looking to buy an old pub in Carlow .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Owryan wrote: »
    Heard from a local publican that wetherspoons are looking to buy an old pub in Carlow .

Town or county?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

The john tyndall site in Carlow town .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Owryan wrote: »
    The john tyndall site in Carlow town .

Ah right. It's been so long since I was in it that I'm not really sure of the layout. I'd say it'd do pretty well.

Could it be a cheaper version of The Barge with similar clientèle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Anyone know when the Weatherspoon in Blackrock will open? Will it be before Xmas. I'm dreaming of some cask IPA!!

I was in Tampere in Finland last week and wandered into an Irish bar there called O'Connells. Tried a pint of Brew Dog Punk IPA and fell in love instantly!! See http://www.brewdog.com/product/punk-ipa and https://vimeo.com/9161176#

I don't suppose this is available on tap anywhere in Dublin????

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

BenThere wrote: »
    Anyone know when the Weatherspoon in Blackrock will open? Will it be before Xmas. I'm dreaming of some cask IPA!!

I was in Tampere in Finland last week and wandered into an Irish bar there called O'Connells. Tried a pint of Brew Dog Punk IPA and fell in love instantly!! See http://www.brewdog.com/product/punk-ipa and https://vimeo.com/9161176#

Ben

Cassidy's of Westmorland street & their sister pub (whose name escapes me) should have it on tap. They defo have bottles, as do many other pubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Ben

Plenty of pubs have it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Ben

Extremely common beer, every decent offie in the country stocks it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭kooga

yknaa wrote: »
    The Examiner today suggests they are thinking of moving into Cork and have a venue in Paul's St. in mind.

The Newport opposite paul street shopping centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I was in Tampere in Finland last week and wandered into an Irish bar there called O'Connells. Tried a pint of Brew Dog Punk IPA and fell in love instantly!!

Ben

That's quite bizarre! You go to an Irish pub in Finland to "discover" a Scottish beer that's readily available in Dublin.

There is a world of beer on your doorstep only waiting to be discovered, including cask IPA. You should stop going to pubs that only serve beer that doesn't interest you!
    Get the Beoir finder ap.

That's quite bizarre! You go to an Irish pub in Finland to "discover" a Scottish beer that's readily available in Dublin.

There is a world of beer on your doorstep only waiting to be discovered, including cask IPA. You should stop going to pubs that only serve beer that doesn't interest you!
    Get the Beoir finder ap.

It is truly bizarre all right. Was there for a few days on business so tried a few different pubs, O'Connells being the only "Irish" one.

Having lived in London for 7 years back in the 90's and particularly when I lived within spitting distance of Youngs brewery in Clapham I got quite into real ales and used to go to the odd CAMRA event etc but then I moved to Asia for a few years where the selection of beer was limited to the international brands (Heineken etc) and their local equivalents/copycats my taste buds became homogenised. They were re-awakened recently when I tried some of the ales on offer in Aldi (particularly O'Sheas IPA) and in Tesco and I am now on the look out for a good local source (Stillorgan?) of draught ales. I'll download the Beoir finder app ASAP!!! (Fingers crossed The Leopardstown Inn, Bolands, The Orchard or The Mill House start selling Brew Dog Punk IPA soon)

Ben

Get the Beoir finder ap.

Beoir finder app downloaded and Beoir membership paid for ;)

Let the adventure begin!!

Ben

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Anyone know when the Weatherspoon in Blackrock will open? Will it be before Xmas.
    June/July, I believe.
    I'm dreaming of some cask IPA!
    Go up the street to the Dark Horse on Carysfort Avenue then :D
    I am now on the look out for a good local source (Stillorgan?) of draught ales.
    You're not too far from Ashton's of Clonskeagh. There's a pretty good draught beer selection there. Likewise the Purty Kitchen in Monkstown.
    Fingers crossed The Leopardstown Inn, Bolands, The Orchard or The Mill House start selling Brew Dog Punk IPA soon
    Four Corners is the distributor, if you're asking a landlord to get it in.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Four Corners is the distributor, if you're asking a landlord to get it in.

Thanks BeerNut, I'll be doing just that!!

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It is truly bizarre all right. Was there for a few days on business so tried a few different pubs, O'Connells being the only "Irish" one.

Having lived in London for 7 years back in the 90's and particularly when I lived within spitting distance of Youngs brewery in Clapham I got quite into real ales and used to go to the odd CAMRA event etc but then I moved to Asia for a few years where the selection of beer was limited to the international brands (Heineken etc) and their local equivalents/copycats my taste buds became homogenised. They were re-awakened recently when I tried some of the ales on offer in Aldi (particularly O'Sheas IPA) and in Tesco and I am now on the look out for a good local source (Stillorgan?) of draught ales. I'll download the Beoir finder app ASAP!!! (Fingers crossed The Leopardstown Inn, Bolands, The Orchard or The Mill House start selling Brew Dog Punk IPA soon)

Ben
    The Orchard in Stillorgan has a better than normal selection, and a good few bottles of different stuff. But it's complete rip off prices. Was there a couple of months ago, pint of heineken was €5, pint of O'Haras was €5.50.

Beoir finder app downloaded and Beoir membership paid for ;)

Let the adventure begin!!

Ben

Who provides the info on the Beoir finder app? Is it the app users or the pubs themselves? How often is it updated?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Lucena wrote: »
    Who provides the info on the Beoir finder app? Is it the app users or the pubs themselves? How often is it updated?

Beoir members create entries and update them on an ongoing basis. Sometimes this means that a pub that stops selling craft will be on the app for a while and pubs that are stocking it won't be but it's normally pretty accurate. It'd be great if pubs did it themselves but I don't think we're at that stage. There are however plans in the pipework to have a pub's twitter feed linked into the app so that seasonal/special beers will get mentioned.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Beoir members create entries and update them on an ongoing basis. Sometimes this means that a pub that stops selling craft will be on the app for a while and pubs that are stocking it won't be but it's normally pretty accurate. It'd be great if pubs did it themselves but I don't think we're at that stage. There are however plans in the pipework to have a pub's twitter feed linked into the app so that seasonal/special beers will get mentioned.

Could be a bit hit or miss letting the pubs say if they've got craft on or not. They might have one tap for a while but not stick with it, or be a bit lax in ordering the kegs, you go in for a drink and all you get is "I rang the brewery last week, sure I'm still waitin' for them to get back to me".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Cienciano wrote: »
    The Orchard in Stillorgan has a better than normal selection, and a good few bottles of different stuff. But it's complete rip off prices. Was there a couple of months ago, pint of heineken was €5, pint of O'Haras was €5.50.

€5.50 for a pint of O'Hara's is pretty much the going rate in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Lucena wrote: »
    Could be a bit hit or miss letting the pubs say if they've got craft on or not. They might have one tap for a while but not stick with it, or be a bit lax in ordering the kegs, you go in for a drink and all you get is "I rang the brewery last week, sure I'm still waitin' for them to get back to me".

It works really wee and one great thing about Beoir is that the breweries are accessible so such a story could be checked.

Also menbers them selfs have asked for entries to be removed if they no longer stock irish craft beer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭donaghs

Ravelleman wrote: »
    €5.50 for a pint of O'Hara's is pretty much the going rate in Dublin.

Last month anyway pint of O'Hara's red ale was less than €5 in Anseo on Camden St, D2. But would agree most pubs charge more for anything "micro" or "import" seeming.

donaghs wrote: »
    Last month anyway pint of O'Hara's red ale was less than €5 in Anseo on Camden St, D2. But would agree most pubs charge more for anything "micro" or "import" seeming.

I'm interested in pricing from both a consumers perspective and from an economic/commercial perspective and I have the following thoughts which I'd like to get feedback on:-

My first argument is with my consumer hat on and that is that the mass produced Heinoweiser beers of this world (did I just invent a new word?) are way over priced. I can buy a litre of petrol which originates in a hole in the ground half way round the world, is shipped, refined, distributed and has a **** load of tax applied to it for €1.60 a litre at the retail outlet and we're talking about a highly dangerous product which needs very special handling all the way along the supply chain whereas a litre of Heinoweiser costs the equivalent of €10 for water, malt, hops, and yeast. Absolutely nuts when you think about it. I know a good portion of the €10 goes on marketing and the govt and landlord have to get their cut but even so, €10 a litre for Heinoweiser compared to €1.60 for petrol at the retail point of sale really is nuts.

My second argument is the economic one and it is basically that the price of beer (or any other product) should be set at what the consumer is prepared to pay, regardless of the fact the product may only have cost a fraction of that to produce. Businesses exist to maximise profit so I do believe in this argument but I believe the normal dynamics of a healthy market which keep the price the consumer will accept at a reasonable level don't really exist in Ireland namely little competition in terms of there being substitute products available (more craft beers in more pubs needed!!) and little price competition amongst the product vendors i.e. pubs - at least until Weatherspoons (to get back on topic) come to town.

I'm sure most here would agree that craft/micro beers are a superior product to the mass produced Heinoweisers should therefore command a higher price as they are a "premium" handcrafted high quality product. My argument however is that the baseline price craft beers should be a premium to i.e. the Heinoweiser type product is way too high to start with.

Anyone agree or fervently disagree???

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

That's a bit of a deep question for a thread about Weatherspoons!

That's a bit of a deep question for a thread about Weatherspoons!

I know but the arrival of Weatherspoons into the ROI market brings a spotlight to two distinct but related issues i.e. price based competition and real ales/craft beers so I thought I'd link the two and see if there was interest in a discussion about it.

Apologies if it's deemed to be a hijack of the thread dear moderator :p

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,674 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I'm interested in pricing from both a consumers perspective and from an economic/commercial perspective and I have the following thoughts which I'd like to get feedback on:-

My first argument is with my consumer hat on and that is that the mass produced Heinoweiser beers of this world (did I just invent a new word?) are way over priced. I can buy a litre of petrol which originates in a hole in the ground half way round the world, is shipped, refined, distributed and has a **** load of tax applied to it for €1.60 a litre at the retail outlet and we're talking about a highly dangerous product which needs very special handling all the way along the supply chain whereas a litre of Heinoweiser costs the equivalent of €10 for water, malt, hops, and yeast. Absolutely nuts when you think about it. I know a good portion of the €10 goes on marketing and the govt and landlord have to get their cut but even so, €10 a litre for Heinoweiser compared to €1.60 for petrol at the retail point of sale really is nuts.
    Ben

Good points.

Though I would compare petrol/diesel prices with off-licence beer prices.

Diesel = 1.50 per litre

Beer = from 1.80 to 4.00 per litre in off-licences

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Macro beer costs cq. 25c / Pt. to produce. Micro costs cq. X 3 times that. Macro breweries charge publicans cq. €1.50 / Pt. If Micros operated on the same mark up they would be charging publicans €4.50 per pint. Obviously Micros take the hit despite their operating costs in order to be somewhat competitive.

What galls me is that while Macros are charging publicans around €1.50 per pint they can afford to sell to the multiples (supermarkets) at cq. 75c a can. :mad:

Advertisement