Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You have to be 18 to use a kettle

• 31-08-2013 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

I was in the kitchen of a sporting venue last night, and saw a sign stating that under 18s were not allowed to use kettles without the supervision of an adult.

The logic being I suppose that if a 17yo burns themselves the venue can be sued, because it wouldn't have been reasonable to assume that a 17yo could use a kettle without full knowledge of the dangers inherent.

How's a teenager supposed to look at a world which treats them like children?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

That sounds ridiculous alright.

I would venture it's the work of some Norris Cole type figure in your organization.

Individuals and clubs may sometimes over react to health and safety standards, based on an overly strict interpretation of their obligations, but that's nothing to do with the law per se.

I would hate to see us go down the same road as the UK in terms of Health and Safety regulations. Personal injuries, as a general rule, are handled fantastically well in this country, and health and safety regulations are accordingly sensible.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

pj9999 wrote: »
    How's a teenager supposed to look at a world which treats them like children?

Well they are children.

I'm not sure that if a child did burn themselves with the kettle and there was no sign that any liability would attach to the club - it is not clear where their negligence would arise from. Perhaps though this is a social issue rather than a legal issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

It's a big day in a young mans life. When he turns 18. And makes his first cup of tea.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I'd say johnny has this one covered; it's a social policy rather than seeking to absolve legal responsibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭pj9999

Well they are children.

I'm not sure that if a child did burn themselves with the kettle and there was no sign that any liability would attach to the club - it is not clear where their negligence would arise from. Perhaps though this is a social issue rather than a legal issue.

They may be children legally; biologically a 17yo is an adult. Either way using a kettle is something people start doing at the age of about 10.

It's a legal issue because it's fear of the legal profession that caused the notice to be posted in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

it's fear of the legal profession that caused the notice to be posted in the first place.
    Then it's an irrational fear.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

How many times do we need to say the sign has no legal effect?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

It's a legal issue because it's fear of the legal profession that caused the notice to be posted in the first place.

Yeah, just the other night I found a senior counsel and a partner in a top five firm rummaging through my bins for any signs of illegal activity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,501 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The legal profession is only involved because they are engaged by greedy parents who will sue a school or sports club at the drop of a hat if their kid has the slightest accident.

I know personal injury lawyers advertise with flashy ads in the Golden Pages and so on but the first step in each action is taken by the parents, blame them.

I have no connection with the legal profession before you ask, my reason for posting this is because I was on the committee of the social club at work and on our family sports day a child had a minor accident which could just as well have happened in his own back yard but his father pursued it all the way and squeezed a few thousand out of the insurance company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭pj9999

coylemj wrote: »
    The legal profession is only involved because they are engaged by greedy parents who will sue a school or sports club at the drop of a hat if their kid has the slightest accident.

I know personal injury lawyers advertise with flashy ads in the Golden Pages and so on but the first step in each action is taken by the parents, blame them.

I have no connection with the legal profession before you ask, my reason for posting this is because I was on the committee of the social club at work and on our family sports day a child had a minor accident which could just as well have happened in his own back yard but his father pursued it all the way and squeezed a few thousand out of the insurance company.

Lawyer: "Yes, I'd be delighted to take that case on; I don't give a damn if it means there'll be no outing for kids next year."

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭laoisman11

That sounds vaguely like an argument of the gun lobby in the US.......no sir, it wasn't the gun that shot them, it was the crazy person with the gun.

Lawyer: "Yes, I'd be delighted to take that case on; I don't give a damn if it means there'll be no outing for kids next year."

Wouldn't it be terrible if it was the other way around - "I refuse to take your case because i like the person who wronged you and don't want to see them out of pocket"

Or maybe a doctor could say "sorry, no medicine for you because I don't think you deserve to live"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coylemj View Post
    That sounds vaguely like an argument of the gun lobby in the US.......no sir, it wasn't the gun that shot them, it was the crazy person with the gun.

not really. One involves a set of adults suing for an everyday event that is a part of growing up and could happen/does happen at Home.

The other involves a group of people who believe everyone has a right to bear any type of gun anywhere irrespective of the damage/danger to other in society.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Yeah, just the other night I found a senior counsel and a partner in a top five firm rummaging through my bins for any signs of illegal activity.
    Having you considered laying down traps and then having them humanely neutered? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I'm 15 and I use the kettle almost every day, i'm such a rebel for breaking the law :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

I don't know about kettles, but there's plenty of irony in this thread.

That's so bad I'm actually going to leave it here rather than delete it.

Oh my heart hurts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

To be fair you can use a sign to limit your liability under the Occupiers Liability Act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Yes. have been amazed at parents who wish to take legal action over situations where their child hasn't sustained any damage, not even "traumatic stress"

• Advertisement

nuac wrote: »
    Yes. have been amazed at parents who wish to take legal action over situations where their child hasn't sustained any damage, not even "traumatic stress"

Client: My little Jimmy is a student at the local school that recently burned down with most of the children suffering severe stress and PTSD and I want to see what I can do about it.

Nuac: That's awful. What's wrong with your child?

Client: The little brat was mitching off at the time and missed out.

Advertisement