Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pc cleaning Help

Options
  • 31-08-2013 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

It has come time to clean and I am trying to clean but what can I use to clean, I can't use a duster because of static electricity or a wet cloth. So what do I use ? also if you have any tips please share thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,452 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Is it a desktop or mini tower? If it's just general grime then use a cloth lightly dampened in a mild detergent solution, squeeze it well so there's no dripping liquid and you'll be fine. Static electricity souldn't be a problem, the case is probably earthed via the power cable. If it's just light dust then go over it with the vacuum cleaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Depending on how bad it is, I would use a vacuum or hair dryer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Do not use a hoover, there's a risk of static electricity. Use compressed air to blow the dust out of your computer.

Didn't know that. I've used a vacuum on a couple of desktops and many gaming consoles over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Didn't know that. I've used a vacuum on a couple of desktops and many gaming consoles over the years.

Yeah it's risky you're better off with a can of compressed air.

• Advertisement

A vacuum cleaner sucks air, a can of compressed air blows air, could someone please explain the physics behind the claim that one causes static electricity but the other does not?

The PC has a fan which sucks in air from one side and blows it back out the other side, why doesn't that cause a buildup of static?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭corkie

You will need this link to clean your screen!

How does using a vacuum cleaner cause static electricity?
    When dust travels in the air sucked through a vacuum cleaner it impacts on the pipe walls and other internal parts. These impacts generate static charges on the particles and on the pipe walls. If these parts are made from plastics or other insulating materials they can charge up and give static shocks. Rotating parts such as carpet beaters can also charge up through rubbing action. If the suction pipe has a metal coil and is not earthed, this can charge up and give quite an energetic spark.

If there are flammable vapours (for example solvent fumes) present, these sparks could cause a fire or explosion risk. In larger vacuum cleaners (above about 1 m3) if the dust can give a flammable atmosphere, there may be a risk of fire or explosion in the dust collector.

Guide: How to ground a vacuum cleaner if you want to use it on a PC

If you don't want to buy compressed air... I once met a fella at a petrol station, cleaning his PC with the tyre pump. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Torqay wrote: »
    If you don't want to buy compressed air... I once met a fella at a petrol station, cleaning his PC with the tyre pump. ;)

Hmm wonder if his pc booted up after that. Compressed air out of a compressor contains a lot of water hence why they have a bleed valve on them.

• Advertisement

Hmm wonder if his pc booted up after that. Compressed air out of a compressor contains a lot of water hence why they have a bleed valve on them.

I clearly wouldn't recommend it either, much prefer my little DataVac.

7I6o95u.jpg

Paid 70 yoyos on Ebay a while back, much better than canned air (and a lot cheaper if you need it frequently).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Or you could get one one these and just fill it up with air

The only risk that static represents in a PC is if you or the metal chassis is charged up when you're remove or adding delicate components like memory DIMMs in which case there is a risk of a surge into or out of the PC via the memory DIMM which will probably wreck it.

Otherwise if I was cleaning the inside of a dusty PC, I'd happily use a vacuum cleaner and while cleaning the unit I'd hold on to the metal chassis with one hand or use an anti-static wrist band. When you plug the power cord back in, the earth circuit will draw away any residual static.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've cleaned tons of computers over the years with a hoover (turned off of course :))
    If you intend to clean the inside just hold the hoover away from any components on weakest setting.
    Don't blow as you might blow saliva onto components.
    Use a slightly damp cloth for the screen, again turn the computer off.
    Wait until perfectly dry before turning it on again.

biko wrote: »
    I've cleaned tons of computers over the years with a hoover (turned off of course :))
    If you intend to clean the inside just hold the hoover away from any components on weakest setting.
    Don't blow as you might blow saliva onto components.
    Use a slightly damp cloth for the screen, again turn the computer off.
    Wait until perfectly dry before turning it on again.

What good would a turned off hoover have:P

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭aaronsharkey

Thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Charlie19 wrote: »
    What good would a turned off hoover have:P

Yeah, they SUCK. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Yeah, they SUCK. :D

No they don't

Advertisement