Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DT006

Options
  • 31-08-2013 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Anyone doing dt006-Mechanical Engineering in Bolton ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭kirving

I started DT006 in 2008, and finished DT022 this year. If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭chopper666

I started DT006 in 2008, and finished DT022 this year. If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them!
    Thanks for your reply, I'm just a bit concerned about the maths. I did ordinary level in my leaving and got a B3 but I think most people who take this course have higher level maths.

Is there many jobs out there for Mechanical Engineers, how did you fair out ?

I chose to do DT006 because of the Maths too, rather than it being because of points. A good few people did honours for the LC, but the majority in my course did ordinary. Work at Maths and you'll be fine. That means putting in a few hours each week.

Last year, the points dropped to 230, but don't be fooled into thinking that this is an easy course, it's not. Look at the numbers repeating the various modules on page 14 of this list. http://www.dit.ie/media/examinations/cebeexams/Supplemental%20Examination%20Timetable%20Autumn%202013.pdf

The course has a good reputation, and DIT are not going to let it slide by dropping standards and reducing it's difficulty. Work from day one and you'll be fine.

Job prospects are very good. As far as I know, anyone in my class who applied for jobs, got one.

EDIT: Just saw another question of yours on another thread. Work experience is not part of the course (Although I think it probably should be), but if you choose practical, industry relevant projects, you'll have no trouble finding a job without experience. Apply for internship programmes during your summers if you can. The lecturers are very helpful in terms of finding jobs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭chopper666

I chose to do DT006 because of the Maths too, rather than it being because of points. A good few people did honours for the LC, but the majority in my course did ordinary. Work at Maths and you'll be fine. That means putting in a few hours each week.

Last year, the points dropped to 230, but don't be fooled into thinking that this is an easy course, it's not. Look at the numbers repeating the various modules on page 14 of this list. http://www.dit.ie/media/examinations/cebeexams/Supplemental%20Examination%20Timetable%20Autumn%202013.pdf

The course has a good reputation, and DIT are not going to let it slide by dropping standards and reducing it's difficulty. Work from day one and you'll be fine.

Job prospects are very good. As far as I know, anyone in my class who applied for jobs, got one.

EDIT: Just saw another question of yours on another thread. Work experience is not part of the course (Although I think it probably should be), but if you choose practical, industry relevant projects, you'll have no trouble finding a job without experience. Apply for internship programmes during your summers if you can. The lecturers are very helpful in terms of finding jobs too.
    Thanks Kevin, If I think of anything else I'll drop you a line

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Oven 2013

What are the hours like ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Oven 2013

Finally somebody doing the same course as me!! Any of idea of how many hours we have a week?

It'll be up around the 30 mark. When I was in first year, it was all 9am starts, off at 1 Monday and Friday, 4pm Tuesday, and 6pm Wednesday and Thursday. The times may change depending on the sub-group which you end up in, or any further arrangements that are made.

Advertisement