Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So confused! BTEA help!

Options
  • 31-08-2013 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I'm in a bit of a predicament. I have a level 7 degree in film but have been accepted to study arts at level 8. I thought up until last week I would get free fees as progression but realised I'm not eligible for the fees and will need to pay the full amount (tuition fees + student contribution) :( I think I've managed to find a loan for the fees so long as I have btea to support myself.

The woman in the fees office in NUIG told me I wasn't going to get btea either. I was gutted and rang the btea head office in Carrick on Shannon who told me that I wouldn't get btea.

Yesterday I got a letter from my local social welfare office saying that I have been successful in my application for back to education allowance. I am SO confused.

I'm really worried that if I move forward and get my loan that someone will say "oh actually you can't have btea after all" and then I would be in real trouble.

Any advice?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

I don't understand what the problem is. You were approved for the BTEA after applying for it, what other people told you about it doesn't matter because you went through the full process and were approved. Even if someone made a mistake during the process (and the mistake was probably made by those other people), that's not your problem. Keep your document as proof, forget all about that phone call ("literally" if you know what I mean...) and barring some big irregularities on your part there should be no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Ring btea section in Carrick on Shannon and ask to doublecheck.

Honestly it would be worse if halfway through they check something, see that a mistake was made and that you shouldn't have been approved. If this happens they will look to claw back the overpayment from you.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Ring btea section in Carrick on Shannon and ask to doublecheck.

Honestly it would be worse if halfway through they check something, see that a mistake was made and that you shouldn't have been approved. If this happens they will look to claw back the overpayment from you.

I couldn't disagree more. That may just start alarm bells if someone wants to correct a mistake they made, and he/she could end up being rejected. He/she is already approved for it.

Are you kidding me? If they made a mistake, the person getting it can't be held accountable That's a ridiculous scenario. It's not your responsibility to do their job for them and to approve/reject your own btea grant. Only if a bank puts millions into your account by accident can some legal rigmarole reverse the mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I couldn't disagree more. That may just start alarm bells if someone wants to correct a mistake they made, and he/she could end up being rejected. He/she is already approved for it.

Are you kidding me? If they made a mistake, the person getting it can't be held accountable That's a ridiculous scenario. It's not your responsibility to do their job for them and to approve/reject your own btea grant. Only if a bank puts millions into your account by accident can some legal rigmarole reverse the mistake.

Disagree all you want.

If Social Welfare overpay you they can demand it back and they can reduce payments to you.

The op is better to be honest than being in a potential position where social welfare makes a mistake and he is held responsible.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sunflowa

Thanks for your replys,

You're two opinions are exactly the ones battling it out in my head!

From what I understand BTEA is quite localised and they don't forward your applications on to any higher power so if they say yes I should be ok..

and the other voice says "but what if you're not!"

Oh dear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

sunflowa wrote: »
    Thanks for your replys,

You're two opinions are exactly the ones battling it out in my head!

From what I understand BTEA is quite localised and they don't forward your applications on to any higher power so if they say yes I should be ok..

and the other voice says "but what if you're not!"

Oh dear.

Actually they do pass on the applications, e.g applications for Laois are forwarded for approval to Kilkenny. If they prove problematic at that stage they are sent to Carrick. MS is right, I would double check your payment entitlement. BTEA is a discretionary payment not a statutory one. Its given on the basis of you meeting particular criteria set by DSP. Even if a mistake is made in the original approval the payment can be pulled on review and you would have to return any monies received. It might be better to be safe than sorry.

Advertisement