Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any good Cyprus Species

Options
  • 31-08-2013 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

I know that there are species of cyprus trees/hedges that if you cut them back too far then the branch is permantly hoewever i want to know is there any species of cypress where this is not the case.Also what is the point at which this would occur ie at what point would be too far down the branch.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

I know that there are species of cyprus trees/hedges that if you cut them back too far then the branch is permantly hoewever i want to know is there any species of cypress where this is not the case.Also what is the point at which this would occur ie at what point would be too far down the branch.
    I thought Cyprus was a country!.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

and even that issue is disputed.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭carlowplayer

ok then cypress trees any ones that dont have the danger of being cut too far back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

ok then cypress trees any ones that dont have the danger of being cut too far back

Do you mean conifers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

As a rule dont cut back a branch at a point where there is no green growth ie always leave some green on any conifer branch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭carlowplayer

thanks but are there any species of cypress trees or similiar conifers where this isnt a issue ie you can cut back as much as possible without fear of it not growing

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

thanks but are there any species of cypress trees or similiar conifers where this isnt a issue ie you can cut back as much as possible without fear of it not growing

Check out "Thuja plicata" may suit your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Perhaps a slow growing one would be more suitable for you.

Zebrina is a lovely T. plicata and slow growing in my garden as a small hedge. Its golden colour is suppost to look its best in the irish light

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Nollax

I got my Lawsons Cypruses cut back from 30 foot to 20 foot approximately in September 2017 and there has been little or no growth since, is there any remedy. Any advice please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Yew is regarded as being able to regenerate from old wood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Nollax wrote: »
    I got my Lawsons Cypruses cut back from 30 foot to 20 foot approximately in September 2017 and there has been little or no growth since, is there any remedy. Any advice please ?

There's nothing you can do if all or most of the green growth was removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭TAZ32

Cryptomeria Japonica will sprout from old wood, wood is meant to be pretty rot resistant and established plants can take strong winds.

Advertisement