Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety of apartment compelxes off sheriff street

Options
  • 31-08-2013 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

I am struggling to find an apartment within my budget in the Dublin 4 area. I have seen a few very nice apartments that are great value in some apartment complexes (Liffey trust and North Bank) but they are both at the bottom of Sheriff Street (docklands end). I am not from Dublin so I don't know much about this area, but anyone I have asked has said its a no-go zone and I would be stupid to rent there, particularly as I would have to walk home from work at 10/11pm alone some nights. The fact these apartments are so cheap compared to places five minutes away in spencer dock is also making me suspicious!

Any opinions as to the safety of this area is much appreciated as I want to get as many opinions as I can to help my decision!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

They're safe. It's a ghost town come night time up that end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Plus, why do you need to live in Dublin 4? Where are you working?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

Sheriff St isn't Dublin 4 anyway and that's for sure. :pac:

Rule of thumb with postcodes; North of the Liffey are odds and south of the Liffey are evens.

Anyways; my work commute takes me through Summerhill/Ballybough/Sheriff St area and its grand, you'll be safe. It is very rough around the edges in terms of the poverty and characters you'd come across but its fine. Personally; as soon as I can afford it I'll be moving to an area where I don't have to walk through these areas because if I'm honest; its beginning to bother me in a personal sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

cson wrote: »
    Sheriff St isn't Dublin 4 anyway and that's for sure. :pac:

Rule of thumb with postcodes; North of the Liffey are odds and south of the Liffey are evens.

Anyways; my work commute takes me through Summerhill/Ballybough/Sheriff St area and its grand, you'll be safe. It is very rough around the edges in terms of the poverty and characters you'd come across but its fine. Personally; as soon as I can afford it I'll be moving to an area where I don't have to walk through these areas because if I'm honest; its beginning to bother me in a personal sense.

It's not fine and it's not grand....these are horrible areas.

The underlying sense is of gloom and misery,there are drunks,drug users and feral children...there are parents drinking in pubs at midday with kids playing in the street outside and there is rubbish everywhere.

You stand a *very* good chance of being mugged/robbed/beaten up or hassled in these areas...especially if you look like you're not from there or have a face that "doesn't fit in"....reconsider living in any of those areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭yoginindublin

I lived in Spencer Dock for a year and in that year, my car was at a stop light caught between two teenage gang wars throwing glass bottles at each other and I got eggs thrown my way when I was walking down Mayor Square. While I find that Spencer Dock is fine, during the nights when there are no offices around the area can be sketchy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭kilclon

Same as any other city center. Stay alert and you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

chopper6 wrote: »
    It's not fine and it's not grand....these are horrible areas.

The underlying sense is of gloom and misery,there are drunks,drug users and feral children...there are parents drinking in pubs at midday with kids playing in the street outside and there is rubbish everywhere.

You stand a *very* good chance of being mugged/robbed/beaten up or hassled in these areas...especially if you look like you're not from there or have a face that "doesn't fit in"....reconsider living in any of those areas.

Horrible is too strong. They're inner city areas with inner city problems, no different to anywhere else in the world. You probably are slightly more at risk of a crime by living in these places but I haven't had any trouble in 2+ years living on the border of the place and walking through it at all times - most of the time in a suit.

That being said; there is an undercurrent to the place. While it was amusing at the start walking through an area which was effectively like the set of Shameless, it's ****ing depressing now for me and I do want to get away from it once I can afford to. There's the feral children, the drunk parents, the tenements and the general run down feel of the place and the general lack of ****ing respect for the area these folks live in. Again I'm sure its a minority but you can see it all over the place.

cson wrote: »
    Horrible is too strong. They're inner city areas with inner city problems, no different to anywhere else in the world. You probably are slightly more at risk of a crime by living in these places but I haven't had any trouble in 2+ years living on the border of the place and walking through it at all times - most of the time in a suit.

That being said; there is an undercurrent to the place. While it was amusing at the start walking through an area which was effectively like the set of Shameless, it's ****ing depressing now for me and I do want to get away from it once I can afford to. There's the feral children, the drunk parents, the tenements and the general run down feel of the place and the general lack of ****ing respect for the area these folks live in. Again I'm sure its a minority but you can see it all over the place.

Okay then i'll change my synopsis to "depressing"...and certainly not safe by any stretch of the imagination.

And you're correct,there's a bad feeling to a lot of these areas...people drunk in the middle of the day,screeching matches,kids hanging round outside shops and chippers,people begging,pissing and staggering around...it never really lost the feel of being a bit of a hole.

I used to go to school round the area and Buckingham street in particular was a favourite place to get mugged and I've seen countless cars broken into,robberies from shops and the occasional handbag snatching.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

I worked in an off licence on Summerhill parade two summers ago. I won't say which one as it's a family business. Anyone who knows the local area could take a good guess.

I had to quit after two months. Couldn't hack serving junkies/drunks all day. I've lived in Dublin all my life and am no stranger to the city's problems.

But interacting with these people was depressing. As a sales assistant I'd get to know the regulars. In they'd come every day for their drink. The cheapest muck they could buy normally drank warm.

We'd be opening the shop and there'd be a line outside. The same alcos we'd just served the previous night at five to ten. Dole day was a big one for us. On the Wednesday beforehand I'd spend an hour taking in a massive delivery. Slabs of bud, dutch gold etc... Literally pallets of the stuff. The next day it'd be gone.

Children's allowance day. Fúck me. In they'd come buying wine, beer and vodka at noon with their feral kids waiting outside. The drunks were one thing. Seeing the families torn apart by the stuff was another.

There's also some kind of halfway house for prisoners on parole in the area. They go there after being released from the joy to get a feel for the outside work I think. Got to know a few of them. Not the kind of guys you don't answer a 'hello' to unless you don't mind your face reworked into a Picasso piece. One day a fella walked off without his change. About €8 I think.

I kept it for him and gave it to him the next time he was in. Looked at me as though he was about to cry. He was a stocky chap. Had a 'Murder reduced to manslaughter' look about him. Face tattoo. Couple of scars. Told me in a quivering voice "that's the soundest thing anyone's ever done for me" and he shook my hand. I could tell he meant it. Then he got all happy and jumpy like a little kid, bought an extra nagen of Kulov vodka seeing as he was suddenly up a few extra bob and went off.

Rest of my shift all I could do was think about him. That was the nicest thing anyone ever did for him in his whole life. I was 19 at the time. He looked around 25. Imagine what kind of life he's had. Probably been in jail since he was my age (at the time) and chances are he's back in there right now on another stretch only two short years later.

That's the kind of stuff I was confronted with time and time again. Little deep dark windows into the people's lives. Every time something like that happened (there were other instances, I could pen a much longer post than this one about that job) it'd weigh me down, darken my day and I couldn't get it off my mind even when I went home.

Other than that I was spat on a few times, threatened by one bloke that he was gonna come back and blow my head off because I wouldn't serve him (he was WAY too pissed) and hosed puke, piss and human 5hit (yes) from outside the premises.

I've a strong stomach and don't quit very easily at anything in life. But for €8.65 the back braking labour, dealing with junkies, the boredom of the job and the fact that I felt like I was a fcuking heroin dealer made me quite. Didn't even give notice. Just quit. Couldn't hack it.

I'm rambling here. Damn every time I think about that area all I can think about it those people. Let me tell you. Scumbags are scumbags and they deserve no respect. They have to be dealt with harshly and I still feel the same to this day.

But what makes an individual rob a pensioner? It's more than being a scumbag. It's seeing a lot of stuff as a kid. Not having parents (or worse, having junkie/alco parents), growing up in poverty and knowing only how to be 'hard men'. Think about those kids you see hanging around in tracksuits. They're on a fast track to drug/alchohol abuse, crime and jail/death and it isn't their fault.

You can call it from the time they're 6 or 7. Anyone that says different should spend a few months in an area like that.

Despite all that I'd still live in the area (I'm 21, no kids, single - not somewhere I'd live with a gf or kids ever). Actually I might need to move soon and might look to see what's available - it's near enough to college. But I'd literally use my house/apartment as a basecamp to rest up between college and work. Don't be expecting leisurely strolls in a park or anything. And expect to come across scenes on the streets that will open your eyes to how ****ing disgusting humans can be. And then make you want to shut them as you walk past.

You won't get mugged so long as, to put this bluntly, you don't look like you're an easy as fcuk target.

At night the place is dead so watch out for individuals or small groups. Again, don't look like a victim.

On nights like Halloween or anytime there's a lot of drinking (few big days during the summer I worked there when there was good weather) avoid the main streets and congregation areas. I've seen mini riots (multiple garda vans, bottles thrown, baton charges etc) one groups of 100+ youths. The place can descend into lawlessness. But it's all directed towards gardaí (not paid enough to deal with this crap btw). Head down. Keeps moving. Be grand.

This may sound a little melodramatic but I think working there changed me a bit for the better. I matured a tiny bit and seen a few harsh realities (A few. I got to leave at 10pm and go home). Life experience or whatever you wanna call it.

So yeah. Go and live there (I'm assuming you're male. If you're a female DO NOT unless you know Krav Maga or something). Save up some cash due to the cheap rent and enjoy Dublin's moderately safe ghetto.

I apolagise for any typos. Not bothered rereading all that. I need a drink.

Yeah I was walking down by that off license not so long ago and a guy in a house close by opened up the door of the house, let out his dog on a lead, dog took a **** on the path, went back inside and closed the door. Can be gritty around there alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Whilst living in the apartments would be safe, there is a far higher chance of something untoward happening to you by walking through the area day or night ,imo anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭crystalmice

Thanks for all the replies. Ihad a walk around there during the day and I didn't like the vibe. I have lived in rough areas before and its not worth the feeling of being on edge anytime I have to walk home from a late night in work! Its also pretty hard to avoid looking like an easy target as a slight young woman so I think I'll be giving it a skip, safety is far more important than a fancy apartment.I really appreciate all the input from everyone, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Chickus

I lived in customs house harbour which was overlooking Sherrif/Oreil street area..I walked up to Mayor Square every day and nearly every night. I had no hassle in the 3 years i was there.. Fair enough there are kids hanging around being a bit on the loud side around the shops but i wouldnt ever call it a dangerous/unsafe area to be in.. I have even walked home alone around 12am and later and never felt unsafe. Its usually quiet at night adn quieter at weekends. Lots of cctv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

Dean0088 wrote: »
    Not the kind of guys you don't answer a 'hello' to unless you don't mind your face reworked into a Picasso piece.

hahaha made me laugh, defo gonna rob that one!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

By town standards, Buckingham Street and Summerhill are a long way from Upper Sheriff Street. They are entirely different areas, though outsiders may not get that.

spurious wrote: »
    By town standards, Buckingham Street and Summerhill are a long way from Upper Sheriff Street. They are entirely different areas, though outsiders may not get that.

Agree with this

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OnlyWayIsUp

spurious wrote: »

Summerhill is far far different to anything down by the Docklands.

In general apartment complexes around the Docklands area are safe.

Perhaps but they suffer from terrible noise pollution and antisocial behaviour such as late night parties,screeching kids etc etc..this is mostly because a lot of them were buy to let and the landlords are no longer fussy who stays there.

Crosbies yard for example

Summerhill is far far different to anything down by the Docklands.

I go to NCI there so I know the area well.

During the day the place is safe as houses with plenty of business types milling around.

At night though it can be bad. The Spar and Mace can have huge gangs of kids hanging around. Nothing too bad. Just bored, loud and a pain in the ar5e.

If you walk up Mayor Street and take a left there's older council-type apartment complexes and social housing which look very run down. Sadly, the cynic in me tells me this is where a lot of the problems come from.

A three bed apartment actually on Mayor Street is very expensive. They're mostly rented out to people who work in the offices or students.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

As long as you carry a weapon you'll be okay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Walked through Ballybough every day for close to two years.

The place is a maze of alleyways and tiny shortcuts. Most of them pitch black.

Never felt unsafe at all. Croke Park Villas are half empty and waiting to be redeveloped but the council ran out of money so they've shut up most of them and some families stay in the rest.

A tiny shop across the road with a heavy metal door and wire mesh on the window. Like something you'd see on Shameless!

The kids play around there on the waste ground, must be bored out of their skulls.

Anyway, never ever had an ounce of trouble but Ballybough is a hole. I moved out years ago and still the dumping of rubbish goes on. Black bin bags everywhere and a lot of them torn asunder. Renters in the terraced houses split into bedsits don't care, it's them that put them there. Some of those houses boarded up now.

Unsafe but depressing seems to be the theme of this thread and that's what I'd go along with for the area and Sumerhill, Buckingham Street and by Sherriff St.

Worst incident I can think off is young lads throwing stones at me on my bike on Seville Place. Sure what can do? Clatter a kid and you'll worry over who will be waiting for you next time you cycle to work.

Dublin is mad, you can have a lovely road for renters and turn the corner and you have flats ready to be pulled down

edit: OP asking about docklands and I went off about another area

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

When I say you, I mean you plural, not you singular.
    Jumboman wrote: »
    As long as you carry a weapon you'll be okay.
    Bullsh|t.

A weapon is only ever good if you have the balls to use it, otherwise you risk losing it, and being used against you. A threat with a weapon will buy you enough time to run, because although they may fear it, if they don't fear you, it'll be you that does the running. Oh, and if you know how to use it, and not lose it, or course.

So unless you're a hard man with nothing to lose, you're best off with no weapon, as otherwise the hard man with nothing to lose will take what you have, and then may see how you like being on the receiving end.

Finally, unless you have a gun, remember that if they have nothing to lose, they don't lose anything by shooting you.

the_syco wrote: »
    When I say you, I mean you plural, not you singular.

Bullsh|t.

A weapon is only ever good if you have the balls to use it, otherwise you risk losing it, and being used against you. A threat with a weapon will buy you enough time to run, because although they may fear it, if they don't fear you, it'll be you that does the running. Oh, and if you know how to use it, and not lose it, or course.

So unless you're a hard man with nothing to lose, you're best off with no weapon, as otherwise the hard man with nothing to lose will take what you have, and then may see how you like being on the receiving end.

Finally, unless you have a gun, remember that if they have nothing to lose, they don't lose anything by shooting you.

Tbh, if you produce a weapon in a fight you had better have good reason (such as being outnumbered, they have one).

You should also be prepared to use it with maximum force. A knock or a hurl won't take a person down if they've adrenaline pumping through them.

A knife if pretty hard to use effectively.

And if you lose said weapon you're done for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

No more discussion about weapons please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

Dean0088 wrote: »
    Rest of my shift all I could do was think about him. That was the nicest thing anyone ever did for him in his whole life. I was 19 at the time. He looked around 25. Imagine what kind of life he's had. Probably been in jail since he was my age (at the time) and chances are he's back in there right now on another stretch only two short years later.

I worked in a drug rehab clinic part-time when I was in uni in Dublin; had a lot of characters like this one you mentioned coming through the doors. I'm happy your guy reacted well to your good nature - when I tried to be nice to some of the people I worked with, their first reaction was suspicion.

And these people get to know you and remember your face, too. There were times when I'd be walking around town with some uni friends and I'd pass some of the patients from the clinic and they'd say hello to me by name and my uni friends would react with a "How the fuck do you know that guy/girl?".

I think the most interesting exchange I had working in that clinic was when one of the female patients saw me working in another part time job in town (in a shop in the Ilac Centre) and made me an interesting offer. She basically said that if I left some stuff she could steal up near the entrance to the Ilac Centre loading bay (on Parnell Street) then she'd ride me. This was a once-pretty lady who now had Hep C and god knows what else, who (I think) worked as a prostitute. Needless to say, I declined.

Advertisement