Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rented property burned down.

Options
  • 31-08-2013 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Tenants of a house had their contents destroyed when a house next door to theirs caught fire and spread to their rented property. They have no contents insurance, how do they stand in regards to the owners of the neighbouring property that caused the fire and their landlord in regards to be compensated for the loss of their property?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'd guess s**** out of luck- unless they can afford to hire a lawyer to pursue the owner of the house that started the fire.

But I could be quite wrong.

Their own landlord certainly cannot insure the tenant's possessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

begod wrote: »
    Tenants of a house had their contents destroyed when a house next door to theirs caught fire and spread to their rented property. They have no contents insurance, how do they stand in regards to the owners of the neighbouring property that caused the fire and their landlord in regards to be compensated for the loss of their property?

Unless the fire was started delibratly or there was neglegence there is no liability on the neighbour. The lanlord has no liability in any way.

They should have had their own insurance if they ever wished to receive compensation

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I'd guess s**** out of luck- unless they can afford to hire a lawyer to pursue the owner of the house that started the fire.

But I could be quite wrong.

Their own landlord certainly cannot insure the tenant's possessions.

I am by no means a legal expert but even at that I believe there would have to be negligence on the part of the neighbour to have any sort of case against them.

What I am sure of is you are 100% correct that the landlord has no responsibility whatsoever for covering tenants property.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭begod

Thanks for the replies.

The landlord already has possessions in the house and will most likely be claiming under his/her own contents insurance.

Theoretically if the landlord, who is a friend, was to claim ownership of all contents which are damaged in the house would it be possible for the insurance company to discredit this and how would they distinguish between his possessions and those of the tenants?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the replies.

The landlord already has possessions in the house and will most likely be claiming under his/her own contents insurance.

Theoretically if the landlord, who is a friend, was to claim ownership of all contents which are damaged in the house would it be possible for the insurance company to discredit this and how would they distinguish between his possessions and those of the tenants?

Thanks again.

Landlord will have to be able to confirm ownership, the lease will probably have a landlord contents list and why would a landlord gamble with it when if he is caught lieing the whole claim could be thrown out for fraud.

Also, In the main a landlord would not supply alot of what the tenant will have lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

kkelliher wrote: »
    Also, In the main a landlord would not supply alot of what the tenant will have lost.
    Exactly. The insurance company would see through claims for anything not typically provided by a LL...ie, 90% of the tenants' stuff...clothes, gadgets, electronics etc. etc. The tenants should have insured their belongings and now pay the price for their foolishness.

kkelliher wrote: »
    Landlord will have to be able to confirm ownership, the lease will probably have a landlord contents list and why would a landlord gamble with it when if he is caught lieing the whole claim could be thrown out for fraud.

True it wouldn't be worth the risk for the landlord to do so and the items in question would be suspicious.

From the posts above it looks like the only possible way for compensation( bearing the tenants are fully aware they should have had content insurance but didn't etc etc.) is if the fire was started deliberately in the neighbouring building.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

sue the neighbour,he caused the damage to your stuff,regardless whether it was a fire,water damage,etc ,get a good solicitor ,his insurance has a minimum of 2/3 million public liability.( i guarantee you the landlord will sue him!) best of luck,do NOT be fobbed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

sue the neighbour,he caused the damage to your stuff,regardless whether it was a fire,water damage,etc ,get a good solicitor ,his insurance has a minimum of 2/3 million public liability.( i guarantee you the landlord will sue him!) best of luck,do NOT be fobbed off.

Huge cash outlay if you don't win.
    I'd be adding up what my contents were worth (2nd hand) and the chances of success.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Would the neighbours house insurance not cover the items that were destroyed in the neighbouring house? Surely the liability does not just stop at their property when the fire caused damage to neighbouring properties?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

For all those saying the tenant should have contents insurance, I'd be interested to hear how they would go about it. No insurance company would quote for it when I was looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

For all those saying the tenant should have contents insurance, I'd be interested to hear how they would go about it. No insurance company would quote for it when I was looking.

Loads of em.. https://www.google.ie/#q=tenants+contents+insurance

djimi wrote: »
    Would the neighbours house insurance not cover the items that were destroyed in the neighbouring house? Surely the liability does not just stop at their property when the fire caused damage to neighbouring properties?

That's what I'm not sure of, does a persons house insurance cover damage to third parties.

Not really sure where you were looking but any insurance company I rang (ie most of the main insurers/brokers) had no issue quoting me for contents insurance. Unless you live in a particularly high risk area, ie high crime rate or flood risk area or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's very well established in law and insurance practice that if your neighbour's house goes on fire and damages yours, your neighbour has no liability to you.

It's the main reason why insurers tend to insist on a block policy for modern developments - if a block of five buildings goes up in flames and the guy in the middle has no buildings insurance, then the block cannot be rebuilt until he stumps up the funding for his house.

It's not a case that the guy whose house goes up pays for the whole block. Any damage outside of his property is considered to be outside of his remit.

Unless of course you can prove that the fire was malicious or down to serious negligence (e.g. lighting a bonfire in the middle of the floor)

Same goes for flooding from burst pipes.

That's what I'm not sure of, does a persons house insurance cover damage to third parties.

I have no experience of house insurance unfortunately but Id be amazed if it doesnt.

seamus wrote: »
    It's very well established in law and insurance practice that if your neighbour's house goes on fire and damages yours, your neighbour has no liability to you.

Fair enough; I stand amazed so! I find that quite ridiculous to be honest.

There was an act of law passed in ireland in the 50's called the accidental fire act and it limits the liability of a property owner to their own property in the event of an accidental fire.

Therefore you are wasting your own money sueing anyone unless you can prove it was not accidental ( ie was caused deliberatly or their was neglegence on the neighbours behalf)

seamus wrote: »

It's the main reason why insurers tend to insist on a block policy for modern developments - if a block of five buildings goes up in flames and the guy in the middle has no buildings insurance, then the block cannot be rebuilt until he stumps up the funding for his house.

It's not a case that the guy whose house goes up pays for the whole block. Any damage outside of his property is considered to be outside of his remit.

Unless of course you can prove that the fire was malicious or down to serious negligence (e.g. lighting a bonfire in the middle of the floor)

Same goes for flooding from burst pipes.

Makes perfect sense and if the fire was found to be malicious and a person was convicted etc. I take it the tenants would have to hire a lawyer and pursue that person/people through the courts?

I honestly believe you would find it hard not to find one to quote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭L1011

How long ago and in what country? Because pretty much every single insurer in the Irish market offers renters contents insurance and has done for years.

First hit for "house insurance" is FBD who have both contents for renters and contents-only for home owners as options on their quote system. That took fifteen seconds to find.

If you want contents insurance btw try and get in touch with RSA (may need to go through a broker; I went through Cornmarket). Very good prices and their level of cover was streets ahead of any other insurer that I spoke to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks again.

Well sure, if you want to commit insurance fraud there are easier ways to do it. But don't do it.

Advertisement