Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If an Irish man won the Mr. Olympia contest........

• 31-08-2013 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Do you think it would be big news over here? Would it be mentioned on the RTE news?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I am sure it would make the news, sure didnt everyone get excited for 24hours about some chaps that good at walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

I would hope so, but probably not by RTE ,
    it's not like we're over run with top class athletes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

It'd make some news but I think it would do an awful lot more for bodybuilding as a sport here than anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

It would be big in this section of boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

They would be falling over him ...atleast for a day or two anyway.

No disrespect to Robert Heffernan but does anyone really give a shít about what has to be one of the most stupid sports ever? Yet that made news for several days.
    The Irish cricket team beating Pakistan was probably the first time the majority of the country even found out we had a cricket team! Was for me anyway :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    They would be falling over him ...atleast for a day or two anyway.

No disrespect to Robert Heffernan but does anyone really give a shít about what has to be one of the most stupid sports ever? Yet that made news for several days.
    The Irish cricket team beating Pakistan was probably the first time the majority of the country even found out we had a cricket team! Was for me anyway :D

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

1. The man can probably walk faster over medium to long distance than you run!
    2. How many world titles in your chosen field did you say you won??
    3. Not disrespecting bodybuilding, but race walking & cricket are sports, man pageants are not! They do however have 1 thing in common, dedication is required to reach the top!

I have little interest in any of the 3 activities mentioned, I just hate when people attempt to belittle others achievements because it isn't something they're interested in! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

The world record for 50km (31 miles) race-walking is 3:34:14!

And that's faster than most avergae marathon runners.

Nobody is taking anything away from his achievement however walking and bodybuilding are niche sports (neither are stupid, just misunderstood by the majority as this thread proves) and would get around the same attention. In all fairness a Mr. Oympia is more interesting than a walker, and the TV stations would fall over themselves to get a monster on to the looked at like a freak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

He race walked a marathon in preparation for the world championships.

Managed it in 3hrs 10.

RTE would only show Mr Olympia if it was held in the grounds of Montrose.

And probably only then as a "And finally" appended to the end of the sports news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Burkatron wrote: »

3. Not disrespecting bodybuilding, but race walking & cricket are sports, man pageants are not! They do however have 1 thing in common, dedication is required to reach the top!

I have little interest in any of the 3 activities mentioned, I just hate when people attempt to belittle others achievements because it isn't something they're interested in! ;)

Where exactly did I say I was faster/won multiple titles in various other sports?

Love how you instantly decide to defend the honor of racewalking by trying to compare it to how fast I could do it or how many titles I have won. So its impossible to criticise a sport unless you are a world champion of another in your eyes?

wait wait...

I forgot to put a load of things in here
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think this sums up racingwalking best:
    Racewalking is often derided and made fun of as a contrived or "artificial" sport. In 1992 long time Olympic commentator Bob Costas compared it to a competition for who can whisper the loudest.

Would someone who competed at the Olympic level of race walking be faster than me over a medium/long (and probably short too) distance?
    I guarantee it!
    Do I give a shít?
    No! just like I can bet that the majority didn't give a shít about racewalking till an Irish lad won something!

To go back to the point, IF an Irish person won Mr Olympia I guarantee RTE would make a big deal about it. Have you seen some of the crap they fill the 'slow news' days with...

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    To go back to the point, IF an Irish person won Mr Olympia I guarantee RTE would make a big deal about it. Have you seen some of the crap they fill the 'slow news' days with...
    Yeah but they're all relatively cheap.

A lot of things are being cut because of cost.

They'd have Daithi O Sé or Blathnaid Ni Chofaigh present Mr Olympia if they did cover it. They wouldn't go to any expense to cover it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

100% this.

Most stupid sport ever??

Dude average <4m 15s per km WALKING. Go RUN 5km in 21 minutes and tell me how stupid it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,310 ✭✭✭COH

Doubt itd be celebrated at all tbh. I'd say you'd be much more likely to see a TV3 special report on the winner... delving deep into the seedy underworld of creatine and fake tan, with special insights from Michelle de Brun, the catholic church and some lad from Drogheda that used to own a dumbbell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I would disagree with this, Bodybuilding would fulfil the criteria for being a sport, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Hanley wrote: »
    100% this.

Most stupid sport ever??

Dude average <4m 15s per km WALKING. Go RUN 5km in 21 minutes and tell me how stupid it is.

No doubt Rob Heffernan is a seriously committed athlete, a terrific competitor, and fully deserves his success but the sport he chose is, imo, a bit ridiculous.

Still proud as punch that an Irishman is the best in the world at something though, even if I dont view it on the same level of prestige as most other sports.

If someone in Ireland won Mr.Olympia Id probably feel the same. Fair balls, hard work, serious dedication but at the end of the day its a bit ridiculous.

If an Irishman won a medal at weightlifting in the Olympics I'd be much more interested.

Opinions eh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

No doubt Rob Heffernan is a seriously committed athlete, a terrific competitor, and fully deserves his success but the sport he chose is, imo, a bit ridiculous.
    I don't think the idea of a walking race is ridiculous, but I would say competitors look a bit ridiculous due to the presumably most efficient technique they use to stay within the rules. Are there any racewalkers who use a more regular walking style? I wonder what % faster they are by doing the style they use.

When the Fosbury flop first happened in high jumping I bet he turned a few heads, but its not particularly amusing looking, the wiki page on racewalking mentions several films or TV programs its been in.

It does look like a monty python sketch or something and I have wondered what attracts people to it at first, rather than another athletics event.

rubadub wrote: »
    I don't think the idea of a walking race is ridiculous, but I would say competitors look a bit ridiculous due to the presumably most efficient technique they use to stay within the rules. Are there any racewalkers who use a more regular walking style? I wonder what % faster they are by doing the style they use.

When the Fosbury flop first happened in high jumping I bet he turned a few heads, but its not particularly amusing looking, the wiki page on racewalking mentions several films or TV programs its been in.

It does look like a monty python sketch or something and I have wondered what attracts people to it at first, rather than another athletics event.

Its more the idea of a 'walking race'. The idea of the athletes trying so hard to not run, but to walk as fast as possible without running just seems a bit ridiculous.

ah no! the average marathoner now is closer to 4:30. Rob would be home, showered and have the feet up by the time the average runner gets across the line.

Still proud as punch that an Irishman is the best in the world at something though, even if I dont view it on the same level of prestige as most other sports.

If someone in Ireland won Mr.Olympia Id probably feel the same. Fair balls, hard work, serious dedication but at the end of the day its a bit ridiculous.

If an Irishman won a medal at weightlifting in the Olympics I'd be much more interested.

Opinions eh...

A very narrow view of sport...but I doubt such views are a world champions biggest hurdle.

• Advertisement

hypersonic wrote: »
    A very narrow view of sport...but I doubt such views are a world champions biggest hurdle.

Obviously you have vested interests here such is your defence of it. Thats fine. I agree, 'Rob' is probably not bothered at all, thats a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Heffernan's sport looks a bit weird for sure. To us. But I saw that documentary on him and the wife.

The commitment, dedication, hunger, passion and all the other cliches were there in absolute spades.

The guy has had his disappointments, comes back again and again, I really think he's one of the best athletes we've ever produced. Balls of fcuking titanium.

Savage savage savage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

when enda wright won his bodybuilding title he was on 2fm sat sports show.
    arm wrested the host if i recall correctly

I'm guessing there would be a hooplah of sorts - but not like an olympic medal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,310 ✭✭✭COH

Enda won his class at the worlds a few years back, Tommy did the same and went on to win his class at the universe too in same year and the sum total of the media exposure was a short article in the Star where they got pretty much all the details confused. we hosted the NABBA worlds last year too, minimal coverage from any corner of the media and the lad that won the over all has since gone on to earn a pro card.

No market for bodybuilding in Ireland really. Irish supplement companies don't really even sponsor Irish bodybuilders!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Rob is a world champion at a 100 year old Olympic event. Bodybuilding isn't event close to that level of pedigree or exposure yet.

Bodybuilding also isn't a sport, so it would be covered in the general news section I would imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Yeah I never really heard of anyone competing at bodybuilding when I was living back in Dublin. Living in brisbane now and it seems half the people in my gym are getting ready for fitness model/bodybuilding comps. Its massive here. Its probably because of the weather...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

I would disagree with this, Bodybuilding would fulfil the criteria for being a sport, no?

Nope, it's not a sport! There is no clear set way to win as it is down to the judges interpretation on what Aesthetics is! They could make their mind up before the competition happens! (This is the same reason you don't let a fight sport go to the judges if possible)There is no real physical or skill component to the competition! The preparation is the impressive part!

Nope, it's not a sport! There is no clear set way to win as it is down to the judges interpretation on what Aesthetics is! They could make their mind up before the competition happens! (This is the same reason you don't let a fight sport go to the judges if possible)There is no real physical or skill component to the competition! The preparation is the impressive part!

Interesting points....tried to come up with a counter but couldn't. The physical skill is before in the training and the pre contest preparation. These days its mostly a competition to see who is the best dieter and the most dehydrated on the day. I disagree that it doesn't have recognition. I would challenge that most people cannot name a single speed walker, but could name 2 or 3 body-builders. Bodybuilding these days is a freak show....Yates era mass monsters are just not aesthetic, the Frank Zane type was much more pleasing IMHO. With Phil Healths rising has come a return to the balance and symmetry of old but too little too late.

With Generation Iron coming out in cinemas and the fact that most health and fitness/nutrition these days is just cogged from bodybuilding maybe a resurgence is on the card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

On a side note, looking forward to Generation Iron.

COH wrote: »
    Doubt itd be celebrated at all tbh. I'd say you'd be much more likely to see a TV3 special report on the winner... delving deep into the seedy underworld of creatine and fake tan, with special insights from Michelle de Brun, the catholic church and some lad from Drogheda that used to own a dumbbell
    Oh yeah, creatine would definitely be the worst thing they could dig up on someone winning Mr. O.

So, does boxing cease to become a sport when it goes to the judges? Ditto for Gymnastics? What about if a referee disallows a goal in football? Does it cease being a sport for a bit?

A Googled definition of a sport: An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.

An activity - Yep, it's definitely one of them.

Involving physical exertion - Yep, posing routine, posedowns.

...and skill - Yep, during a posedown, one must counter the poses of an opponent and hide their weaknesses while drawing attention to their strengths in order to elevate themselves up the pecking order and score more points in the eyes of the judges.

Individual or team - Yes to both.

Compete against others - Definitely.

I'm struggling to see how you would argue against it being a sport to be honest unless we disagree on the definition of what a sport is which might be possible?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 74 ✭✭moc8827

Yeah, I don't understand how a sport can be considered "stupid", or at least any more stupid than any other.

Every sport is completely and utterly pointless ultimately. But if people enjoy it, and others enjoy watching it, then what's the problem?

The only sports that could reasonably be argued as being "stupid" are ones that are very dangerous. But that doesn't mean they don't have their merits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 74 ✭✭moc8827

Its more the idea of a 'walking race'. The idea of the athletes trying so hard to not run, but to walk as fast as possible without running just seems a bit ridiculous.

You could say that about any sport.

Why doesn't Usain Bolt just hop on a bike - he'd do it quicker.
    Why don't soccer players just pick the ball up with their hands, they'd have more control
    Why don't cyclists just hop in a car............you get the idea.

moc8827 wrote: »
    You could say that about any sport.

Why doesn't Usain Bolt just hop on a bike - he'd do it quicker.
    Why don't soccer players just pick the ball up with their hands, they'd have more control
    Why don't cyclists just hop in a car............you get the idea.

Usain bolt wouldn't be quicker on a bike from a standing start.. You mad?

• Advertisement

Usain bolt wouldn't be quicker on a bike from a standing start.. You mad?

Never mind horses against cars - Bolt vs Cavendish or Sagan should be the next big race!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

A Googled definition of a sport: An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.

An activity - Yep, it's definitely one of them.

Involving physical exertion - Yep, posing routine, posedowns.

...and skill - Yep, during a posedown, one must counter the poses of an opponent and hide their weaknesses while drawing attention to their strengths in order to elevate themselves up the pecking order and score more points in the eyes of the judges.

Individual or team - Yes to both.

Compete against others - Definitely.

I'm struggling to see how you would argue against it being a sport to be honest unless we disagree on the definition of what a sport is which might be possible?

Posing isn't really physical exertion. preparation for these guys is weeks of lifting heavy weights. They are hardly exerting themselves on stage.

If so then beauty pageants are a sport and models are athletes.
    pose 1 (pz)
    v. posed, pos·ing, pos·es
    v.intr.
    1. To assume or hold a particular position or posture, as in sitting for a portrait.
    2. To affect a particular mental attitude.
    3. To represent oneself falsely; pretend to be other than what one is.
    v.tr.
    1. To place (a model, for example) in a specific position.
    2. To set forth in words; propound: pose a question.
    3. To put forward; present: pose a threat. See Synonyms at propose.
    n.
    1. A bodily attitude or position, especially one assumed for an artist or a photographer. See Synonyms at posture.
    2. A studied attitude assumed for effect. See Synonyms at affectation.

Skilled? yes, disciplined? yes, dedicated? yes.
    Athletes, yes,- ish.
    sport? not really.

Posing isn't really physical exertion. preparation for these guys is weeks of lifting heavy weights. They are hardly exerting themselves on stage.

If so then beauty pageants are a sport and models are athletes.

Skilled? yes, disciplined? yes, dedicated? yes.
    Athletes, yes,- ish.
    sport? not really.

Posing is ABSOLUTELY a physical exertion. In fact, the last competition I went to which was a matter of months ago, in the 70kg category, the leanest guy on stage ended up second because he was so drained that he couldn't hold his poses solid and the guy who was not as lean or as big got the decision ahead of him.

I didn't speak directly to the judges obviously but his trainer said their timing was off by a day or two and he was too drained to hold everything tight and display his muscularity correctly and said second place was fair enough and his fault for timing it wrong.

I have no idea about beauty pageants, I've never been to, or been involved in one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They have a self imposed physical handicap in the rules, other sports/contests do to.

You will see chinup records/competitions where you are not allowed kip/swing, so they are stopping you using momentum to your advantage, just like these walking rules. I have seen other contests like long jumps from a standing position, or high jumps where it had to be hurdle style.

I am actually more interested in many of these feats as they are the style I might relate to more. If race walkers walked in a usual manner I would be much more interested in their times & distances, as I know what I can do in that style.

Back on the original topic, some irish guy won the "mr world" contest a few years ago and it was in the media quite a bit, not bodybuilding, more like miss world. I could see a bodybuilder being on loads of TV talk shows.

Posing is ABSOLUTELY a physical exertion. In fact, the last competition I went to which was a matter of months ago, in the 70kg category, the leanest guy on stage ended up second because he was so drained that he couldn't hold his poses solid and the guy who was not as lean or as big got the decision ahead of him.

I didn't speak directly to the judges obviously but his trainer said their timing was off by a day or two and he was too drained to hold everything tight and display his muscularity correctly and said second place was fair enough and his fault for timing it wrong.

I have no idea about beauty pageants, I've never been to, or been involved in one.

While posing is physically exerting, I still fail to see how this can be regarded as a competitive sport. Just because it is physically exerting does not make it a sport, if that was the case, you could say that throwing a pillow around your room for 6 hours is a sport because you would be tired afterwards.

Another failing on the side of it being a sport is its rules and regulation. Although you have to meet certain requirements in having a pro card etc to be on a stage, they have free reign on what they can put in their bodies, such as steroids and HGH, the latter in quite huge amounts.

The google definition of a sport being about physical exertion and skill is accurate, but comparing the ability to hold a pose to that of a boxer, a footballer, F1 driver or a tennis player is laughable in its comparison.

I admire the dedication that BBers put themselves through, but I don't see how it can be compared to that an athlete.

• Advertisement

I modelling a sport?

I'm not comparing any sports at all. Just saying that Bodybuilding is one. I posted a definition above, then explained how it fits that description. I'm not sure which bit of that you're not agreeing with?

I modelling a sport?

If that's aimed towards me then I don't know, best ask a model or someone? Wikipedia or Google might explain in too. I'm not really into modelling unless it's with clay which is awesome.

If that's aimed towards me then I don't know, best ask a model or someone? Wikipedia or Google might explain in too. I'm not really into modelling unless it's with clay which is awesome.

The act of modelling is pretty much the same a posing and nobody would class it as a sport, I think BBing is fantastic and follow it quite a bit. But it more of a subculture/lifestyle than a sport. Competitions are really grading systems of your dedication to the lifestyle and natural ability.

Which bit of the definition of a sport does Bodybuilding not conform to? I think I've explained it pretty well because I know 99% of people will go to a show and therefore never realise that the years of training beforehand do not guarantee you success on the night unless you present and perform to your best. Just like football or boxing etc.

Which bit of the definition of a sport does Bodybuilding not conform to? I think I've explained it pretty well because I know 99% of people will go to a show and therefore never realise that the years of training beforehand do not guarantee you success on the night unless you present and perform to your best. Just like football or boxing etc.

I would argue that it does not conform to the skill part of the definition. I don't see skill involved in making sure your diet is in check and you're training each body part etc on certain days. It requires dedication of course, but how is cooking all your meals and eating them a skill, especially if you are a pro and you have people who do this for you?

The comparison to footballers or boxers is a bit flat as well, if you were to get into a ring with a boxer and ask him to box he could do it right there and then, same with a footballer, weather they have the stamina to go 12 rounds or 90 minutes is irrelevant. If a bodybuilder is a great poser on stage but was crap in the build up to a show with his diet, he would not win over the judges, and this is also another point, bodybuilding has to rely on the judges, boxing fights can end and football matches never require this.

I'm not saying the prep or the training or the dieting is a sport. It's training. The sport is the actual competition. Hitting the poses, drawing the judges in, hiding weaknesses, out posing an opponent even if he brings a better physical package than you. That is the sport.

East is east, west is west and never the twain shall meet.

Who cares if it meets the definition of being a sport. An achievement is an achievement, regardless of what it's in.

So take care of yourselves.....and each other.

I'm not saying the prep or the training or the dieting is a sport. It's training. The sport is the actual competition. Hitting the poses, drawing the judges in, hiding weaknesses, out posing an opponent even if he brings a better physical package than you. That is the sport.

I would again, disagree. What you have described relates more to a performance art, which is what I would see BB being closer to than a sport.

I really am failing to see how posing is a sport, like I said above, its more akin to a performance art like ballet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

Thanks for the replies.

It seems like it might be mentioned in the media but not heavily, thanks guys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement