Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If an Irish man won the Mr. Olympia contest........

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

So, the discussion on the coverage if an Irish man won Mr Olympia has become about which page of The Star would the 2-inch column on it be: sports pages or page 10 alongside a story on some Z-List 'celebrity' reading his/her first book. This is gripping. I can't wait for the decisive post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

This is so mind numbingly stupid.

I think you'll find that depends what your definition of stupid is. If you think this is stupid, then ultimately isn't everything stupid at the end of the day? Who decides what stupid really is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Dressage.

I never understood the objection to this being a sport. Have you ever been around a horse? My principle concern was that it was going to kick me in the head and drag my lifeless corpse through the fields for hours. Getting the bastard to dance strikes me as a tremendous achievement!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Gintonious wrote: »
    So are you saying that posing is the main aim of BBing then? Rubbish.

Most of the work for a BB is done in the kitchen, and then in a gym doing the same type of training that you see in any gym anywhere.

The ability to pose is not the defining factor in BBing, its a part of it. The sole goal of BBing is aesthetics, plain and simple, and posing just shows their aesthetics more, thats the point. If a BBer put in all the effort to cut down to a low % of bodyfat and couldn't pose, went up against someone who is not in as good shape but could pose better, who would win?

Let me be clear, and it's not to be condescending towards you at all as I appreciate your reasoned discussion but:

I'm not saying dieting is a sport.
    I'm not saying lifting weights in a gym is a sport.
    I'm not saying standing motionless on a stage is a sport.

I am saying that on the day/night of a contest, the men/women competing are competing in a sport.

Also, the main aim of those competing is to win.

Apologies to those bored by the discussion.

Edit: To answer your question, that would depend on the difference in quality between the two. A good poser can beat a better body but not if there is a massive difference in quality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Havent' read but I see BB being mentioned.

Regardless of whether or not it's a "sport" by classical definitions, It requires more dedication and consistency than almost any sport in existence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

kevpants wrote: »
    I never understood the objection to this being a sport. Have you ever been around a horse? My principle concern was that it was going to kick me in the head and drag my lifeless corpse through the fields for hours. Getting the bastard to dance strikes me as a tremendous achievement!
    I've just laughed my bollix off. You win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Hanley wrote: »
    Havent' read but I see BB being mentioned.

Regardless of whether or not it's a "sport" by classical definitions, It requires more dedication and consistency than almost any sport in existence.

Sport doesnt need dedication tho. Only at certain levles
    :D You can go to the park for a kick about. that would still be sport.
    Can't exactly go the the park for a pose off tho. ;-)
    Be a bit weird knocking on someones door on Saturday afternoon dressed in thong and fake tan
    "hello missus Murphy, can jimmy come out to play, we're going posing":D

No-one has questioned the dedication and determination of bodybuilders. I think even the most casual observer appreciates the hard work.

And I hope none of this discussion appears to undermine it. The point is that it simply is not a sport.
    That doenst mean it is inferior, as no-one has claimed being a sport is a progression.
    Its no different than comparing ballet to hurling. Both are difficult and beautiful in their own way, both are physical, both require a lifetime of dedication. Both require the body to take pain and hardship.
    one is a sport, one is an art.

Why is there no problem referring to ballet like this? and why do bodybuilders get bent out of shape because of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭saucers82

what if an Irish woman won Ms Olympia!!!

(yeah I know, like anyone could dethrone Iris!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

by your definition of a sport then xfactor is also a sport.

You are being a bit liberal with the definition in the first place.

I get this point, but then you have to look at other 'sports' such as gymnastic, diving, figure skating (all of which are in the olympics) and make the same argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

sarumite wrote: »
    I get this point, but then you have to look at other 'sports' such as gymnastic, diving, figure skating (all of which are in the olympics) and make the same argument.

not really, gymnasts/divers/figure skaters are judged upon how well they can perform a move or sequence.
    They are not judged upon their aesthetics.

• Advertisement

not really, gymnasts/divers/figure skaters are judged upon how well they can perform a move or sequence.

Bodybuilders are also judged by their ability to perform a sequence of moves ie the 8 compulsory poses and individual posing routine/posedown. They are not judged solely on aesthetics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

These are skill based movements they're judged on!
    Bodybuilders are also judged by their ability to perform a sequence of moves ie the 8 compulsory poses and individual posing routine/posedown. They are not judged solely on aesthetics.

Peacocking is used to emphasize their aesthetics, they are completely judged on this!

I don't wish to repeat what I've said over and over but if they were purely judged on aesthetics, the best body would win the show, correct? This does not always happen, sometimes the best body poses poorly or has timed their dehydration/loading in such a way that they fail to hold a pose correctly (most often in the form of shaking badly).

Advertisement