Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I change my printer connection from wireless to wired?

Options
  • 31-08-2013 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I am a teacher and I just bought a HP6700 printer for my classroom. I installed the software and chose a wireless connection. I was able to print away what I needed to print and was happy out but the next time I went to print something it wouldn't work. I tried troubleshooting the problem using the instructions on the printer and on the computer but to no avail. I am wondering now whether it might have something to do with the school having a firewall. I don't really need the features of a wireless connection but I cant seem to undo what I've done so far and connect with a cable instead. My head is wrecked as its a brand new printer. Does anyone know what I can do to connect now by cable instead? Please help!

Also I should add that I was getting somewhere (I think) with it yesterday but it was looking for a WPA code. I have no idea what that is or where to find it. In the manual it said Id find it on the back of my wireless router but I don't think I have a wireless router, just a laptop and printer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

A WPA code is the security encryption code for a router. You could try uninstalling all the software and start again; if you want a wired connection, you probably got a USB cable with the printer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

When you set it up the first time did you connect the laptop directly to printer via WLAN (I believe, HP calls it Wireless Direct)?

The "WPA code" us wireless security key. Do you have a wireless network available in the classroom?

Of course, you can always connect the printer with a good old fashioned USB cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 misshoney

Thanks for the replies folks.

bonzodog2: Yes, I did get a usb cable with the printer. I will try uninstalling the software and starting again.

Torqay: a good old fashioned cable sounds just fine to me. My problem is that because I connected wirelessly originally, it doesn't seem like I can now do it manually, I will try and uninstall the software and start again. As for the WPA and the router, ill have to check the school office. When I connect to the internet in my classroom, I have to insert a wire.

Advertisement