Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currys i5 Laptop Offer

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Not quite the same. The E series are low budget laptops and they look it. The V3 series laptops look nicer ("brushed aluminum" finish) and have a USB 3.0 port.

But the price is right for a store offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

Torqay wrote: »
    Not quite the same. The E series are low budget laptops and they look it. The V3 series laptops look nicer ("brushed aluminum" finish) and have a USB 3.0 port.

But the price is right for a store offer.

Right, may revert to purchasing the V3 then but from a different supplier.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

Looking to buy a laptop for my daughter just starting college. Was hoping not to have to pay more than 350. Any opinion on the Dell Inspiron? They come in under that price for a 15' screen w/4 GB memory and a 320 DG hard drive. Have an old Inspiron that's 7 - 8 years old and no complaints. The Acer looks good but you're prob paying a retail premium. Any guidance much appreciated.

chancer12 wrote: »
    Looking to buy a laptop for my daughter just starting college. Was hoping not to have to pay more than 350. Any opinion on the Dell Inspiron? They come in under that price for a 15' screen w/4 GB memory and a 320 DG hard drive. Have an old Inspiron that's 7 - 8 years old and no complaints. The Acer looks good but you're prob paying a retail premium. Any guidance much appreciated.

Problem is, for €329 you'll only get a Celeron processor. The Core i3 model costs €469, which is a bit steep for such laptops. PC World is selling an Acer E1 with a Core i3 processor for €425, online you'll get them for €370.

Thanks Torquay, was a bit disappointed w/Dell. When I bought mine (long time ago) you could customise it and add memory etc but it doesn't seem to offer that facility anymore. Currys have a HP with 4 GB memory, 750 hard drive and an AMD APU processor for 400. How would that compare?

• Advertisement

I believe, you're referring to a HP laptop with an AMD A4 processor. Not good at all. Only the A10 can compete against Ivy Bridge Core i3 processors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Firblog

Thanks, spent a very frustrating hour in Curry's last night. None of the machines in my price range on show were in stock. So glad for comment re the AMD processor, they had two HP laptops with Intel premium but none available. The poor sales guy was really frustrated, he said that they get deliveries on Wednesdays but have no idea what's coming until they arrive. He also said they include the display models as available stock so if the system shows 1 machine available in another shop it could be the display model! Will be back again there again tomorrow!

Firblog wrote: »

They appear to be the same company as laptopsdirect, and I am relectant to deal with them as their customer service has been appalling so far. I have sent a number of e-mails and not received one reply.

Would this be a match for the above, or even better perhaps?: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-V3-531-15-6-inch-Laptop/dp/B00CHNXAYQ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1378333166&sr=8-6&keywords=acer+aspire#productDetails

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LINE45

Hi all, can you tell me if this make of laptop is any good for college and is it good value for money, Fitizju Make, 6GB, i3, 500HD, windows 7 at €395 with free bag.

• Advertisement

How's this for value? €100.00 cashback brings the price under 500: http://www.currys.ie/Product/SAMSUNG-Series-3-3530E-156andquot-Laptop/317501/7.36

Advertisement