Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power2Max question for BB30 + BB86 bottom brackets

Options
  • 31-08-2013 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Folks,

I'm looking for some advice / suggestion on the following.

I have two bikes,

1. Dolan Ares with Sram Red, BB30 bottom bracket
    2. Canyon Aeroad with Ultregra and a BB96 bottom bracket.

Im looking at the Power2Max Rotor 3D Plus with Q rings. The possible problem I see is the this;

BB30 Axles are , obviously, 30mm
    BB96 Axles are 24mm

The Crank Axle on the Rotor 3D Plus is 30mm
    Now, although the Rotor 3D Plus is listed as compatible the following frame formats (BB30, BB86, BB92, BBRight, BBRight Pressfit, BSA68, ITA70, PF30)
    Im wondering how will it in fact fit the BB96 on the Canyon.
    I want to use the power meter during on the Dolan durint the winter training and then transfer to the Canyon when the racing season starts.

Any help, suggestions, personal experience in this area would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    Ken

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭fran83

I have the Rotor 3D and I use a bb30 adaptor to convert my bb30 frame to 24mm axel.

The rotor 3d + is only for BB30 frames so it wont fit both frames. You will need the 3D version for this to work.

You will be then able to use the crankset on both bikes.

I have a set at home if you want to buy them from me.

http://www.cyclepowermeters.com/sram-pressfit-30-to-fsarotorracefaceshimano-hollowtech-bottom-bracket-adapter-1195-p.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ken1975

fran83 wrote: »
    I have the Rotor 3D and I use a bb30 adaptor to convert my bb30 frame to 24mm axel.

The rotor 3d + is only for BB30 frames so it wont fit both frames. You will need the 3D version for this to work.

You will be then able to use the crankset on both bikes.

I have a set at home if you want to buy them from me.

http://www.cyclepowermeters.com/sram-pressfit-30-to-fsarotorracefaceshimano-hollowtech-bottom-bracket-adapter-1195-p.asp

Thanks for the reply Fran.
    So are you saying get the rotor 3D, which has the 24mm crank axle diameter to use on the Canyon bb86 and then use the adapters to bump the 24mm axle diameter to 30mm for Dolan bb30?
    Do I have that right?
    Cheers,
    Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Just quickly looking at the Rotor UK website it seems that you should be able to use the 3D+ with BB86 by using their 4130 BB adapter - http://www.rotoruk.co.uk/PressFit2.html. Could be worth dropping them a line to confirm before taking the plunge but that could be an option to enable you use the 30mm axle 3D+ over 24mm 3D.

Ken1975 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Fran.
    So are you saying get the rotor 3D, which has the 24mm crank axle diameter to use on the Canyon bb86 and then use the adapters to bump the 24mm axle diameter to 30mm for Dolan bb30?
    Do I have that right?
    Cheers,
    Ken

Yes Ken that is correct. I had a Dolan Ares and I used the adaptors with that frame and my winter bike has a bb86 that worked without an adaptor.

CheGuedara wrote: »
    Just quickly looking at the Rotor UK website it seems that you should be able to use the 3D+ with BB86 by using their 4130 BB adapter - http://www.rotoruk.co.uk/PressFit2.html. Could be worth dropping them a line to confirm before taking the plunge but that could be an option to enable you use the 30mm axle 3D+ over 24mm 3D.

This will work too. It just means changing the bearings in the Canyon frame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ken1975

CheGuedara and fran83, thanks for the info guys. Much obliged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Looking at power meters (down to vector or power2max) and just picking up on this now.

Considering the rotor 3D as well

http://www.power2max.de/europe/en/Produkt/power-meters-en/rotor-3d-road/

One of the two bikes I would be looking to use it with is a rose xeon cw which they say is BB386EVO. The power2max website says:

"You only need to check compatibility on BB86 and BB386EVO frames, all other frame formats are always compatible with power2max. To check compatibility, please measure the outer diameter of the bottom bracket bore. It should not exceed 53mm to ensure compatibility with power2max."

I was wondering what the relevance of this is ? The crankset in the rose bike is ultegra with a spindle of diameter 24mm and length 109mm. From the link the rotor 3d 24mm in width, I presume it is 109mm long (this seems a standard, have another FSA crank with a spindle of length 109mm too) so what has the width of the bottom bracket bore got to do with anything ?

This may seem a silly question but the photo in the link above only shows the spider and drive side crank. I am presuming that there is a spindle attached to the spider and a crank for the the non drive side too (package contents only say "crank") ?

Have never switched chain rings before, would there be any problem fitting the compact rings in the photo shown with the 110mm version (compact) of BCD rotor 3d i.e. are they compatible ?

Thanks Paul.

Advertisement