Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Black Forrest Gateaux

• 31-08-2013 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Im new to this site but Im wondering if anyone knows where I can buy a proper Black Forrest Gateaux in any part of Dublin. Its for a special occasion and the person concerned adores black forrest gateaux but only the one with the alcohol soaked bottom in it. Can anyone tell me where I could get one or even a really good tried and tested recipe would help also. Thanks all....Dee

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Hi Dee, I've moved your thread to the cakes and bakes forum for a recipe.

For buying the cake you might need to give an idea of where in the country you're looking to buy the cake!

Sounds yummy though, it's been years since I've had black forest gateaux

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I've heard Thunders Bakery is the place to go for a Black Forest gateau if you're in Dublin but I somehow doubt they have a boozy bottom. Spotted fabulous looking mini Black Forests in the Hansel & Gretel Bakery on Clare St on Friday

Neyite has a killer looking boozy Black Forest in the Cooking Club

• Registered Users Posts: 5 pebbles1955

Thank you so much for your help much appreciated Im located in Dublin and have edited my message to state the area. Really appreciate your assistance in this instance...Dee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

This cake was very trendy in the 70's and you had to sit al fresco having your coffee and BFG as near to Grafton Street as humanly possible to be considered 'in'!! biggrin.png That shows my age, and I confess, yes, it was me! I used to bake BFG myself, but the liqour was just what came with the black cherries - it was never alcohol as far as I know. The liquor from the cherries is called Kirsch as far as I remember made with bitter black cherries, and I used to dribble it over the sponge but not to make it sodden. If you must have alcohol then a little rum would work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Hi Jellybaby, BFG should be made with Kirsch - which is indeed alcoholic!! It's 40% ABV and is a cherry liqueur/brandy.

My mother made a mean one in the 70s!!!

Speeds

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I well remember the 70s when BFG was in all the bakeries around town. I regularly bought a slice for with my lunch :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Well I never! Still learning after all these years. And me a non-drinker all my life! :D

Dizzyblonde you were probably sitting at the next table!

Hi Speeds would you by any chance have the recipe please. Dee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

I'll scan it in when I next visit my mother. It's from the Supercook series - she collected them all in the 70s & has (I think) 8 volumes....

Jellybean :D:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I find the Odlums recipes pretty reliable, although I haven't made their BFG. It does contain kirsch so it might be worth trying.
    http://www.odlums.ie/recipes/odlums-recipes/cakes/black-forest-gateau/

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot your a pet....Dee

Thanks a lot your very kind...Dee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭TheBody

BFG is by a mile my favourite cake. Without a doubt, the nicest BFG I have ever had comes form the Elite bakery in Maynooth. Just amazing. I always get one on special occasions from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭spygirl

just wondering if you tried out any of the recipes mentioned above or did you buy thee cake in the end? In the same boat myself at the moment but would prefer to bake it if I could

Advertisement