Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wetsuits

Options
  • 31-08-2013 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am doing the 2km great fjord swim in October and I am looking around and pricing wetsuits. I was hoping to get some information here as I intend to use it next summer for more swimming events and triathlons. I have a few questions...

Would wetsuit size correlate to clothes size?

Considering I would be using this for swimming is there an ideal mm to use eg 3mm, 5mm etc?

Any recommendation on what brands are good and reasonably priced?

Are there any online shops that you would recommend or shops within the Dublin area?

Mods, if this is a duplicate thread please dont hesitate to move and thank you all in advance for any advice that you can give.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

biomed32 wrote: »

Would wetsuit size correlate to clothes size?

Nope, its totally down to whatever size wetsuit happens to fit you. The only way you'll get a good fit is by trying on different sizes.
    Considering I would be using this for swimming is there an ideal mm to use eg 3mm, 5mm etc?

A swimming wetsuit will have 5mm neoprene around the trunk area, with thinner material around the areas that need more flexibility.
    Any recommendation on what brands are good and reasonably priced?

The cheapest Speedo suit might fit you better than the dearest 2XU... and a better fit will be more important during races.
    Are there any online shops that you would recommend or shops within the Dublin area?

I bought my first two wetsuits online, being tempted by price. For my current one I went to Base2Race and tried on wetsuits in their endless pool. I got a suit that fits much better, and good advice about putting on/off the suit; I'd definitely recommend them, and would never buy online again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

At this time of year you might find shops that are clearing demo suits or old stock at a bargain.

The only things to watch out for when buying a wetsuit.

Shop staff should be able to find a suit based on your abilities, planned events & budget. They should also be able to explain the different qualities of the suits and technologies therein. Not good enough to say "this will make you faster!" They should be able to outline why.
    You should be measured or at least have your height, weight & chest (for men) or hip ( for women) measurements to hand so the correct size can be selected.
    The fitting process should be explained & you should be assisted in the fitting process. Expect to share a fitting room! Be prepared with swimsuit / tri suit.
    This is important for both you and the shop. You don't want to be accused of marking a suit & the shop won't want damaged suits.
    You should be shown how to take it off, how to handle it, storage & aftercare.

All invaluable stuff you won't get online. You may end up spending more than say, €125 budgeted for based on online 'cheap' suits. But if the advice is right, you won't need to upgrade in a season or two.

You only get one chance to buy your first triathlon wetsuit.

Advertisement