Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Job and worried about office politics

Options
  • 31-08-2013 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Hi! I just got a new job with a significant increase in salary. I am starting in two weeks. However, I am really worried about the office politics in the job - I hear there is a lot of office politics where I will be working. I was bullied in the job previous to the one I have now - so I'm very worried about changing jobs, but the salary increase was 12.5k which means a lot to me. I'm worried that I won't be able to manage the office politics, and that I'm not really a 'political animal,' but I need the job. I was going to get some sessions with an Organisational Psychologist to help me deal with the office politics - does anyone think that this is a good idea, or can they recommend someone in this area. Do any of you have any suggestions on how to manage office politics - I would really appreciate any help/advice, as I'm now dreading starting the job, though it will be a very interesting role, and significantly higher pay.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,353 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Do your job well and be straight and upfront with EVERYONE you encounter. Problem solved. So long as you fulfill the role you have been hired for to a high standard and comply with whatever contractual rules and guidelines are laid down you should be fine. People spend far too much time obsessing over these things imo. Do your job well, don't say or write things you wouldn't be able to stand over in front of anyone. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Good advice above.

There is no workplace that does not have office 'politics' to some degree - it can't be avoided.

As advised, do what you do well, be able to stand over your work. Don't step on anyones toes unneccessarily - confirm the boundaries with your new boss early on as to what you do and what others do and don't be afraid to check before you take on new tasks that you aren't encroaching on someone elses territory. Treat everyone fairly, civilly and professionally. From a work point of view, be cooperative and collaborative as much as possible - this reminds people that you see yourself as one of the team as opposed to a lone worker.

The easiest way to avoid being embroiled in office politics or encouraged to take sides is to keep a professional distance from day one. That doesn't mean be stand offish, but just clear that whilst you are friendly to colleagues you are not going to engage in talking behind backs or gossiping. Be friendly and show a passing interest in colleagues (such as how was your weekend? How are your kids/dogs/great aunt mabel? that sort of thing) it is enough to be deemed as pleasant and friendly and so avoid being labelled snobbish or unwilling to mix, but at the same time shows that you are not encouraging gossiping etc.

If you do need to assert yourself, do so calmly and firmly but politely and then move on and show the other person that you have moved on and no grudge is held.

Take your time to get to know people, don't rush in with being too friendly, and don't make snap judgements about colleagues. Don't take things too personally either - most times its not personal, some people are just f*ckers to everyone, but as soon as they see a reaction they feel encouraged to continue.

Good luck with the new job and just give it a chance and see how it goes - you may be pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Glinda

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    don't say or write things you wouldn't be able to stand over in front of anyone. Good luck.

Absolutely this. Always assume anything you say will be repeated, anything you write will be seen later. Never write or say anything that you would be ashamed of later; that's the key to office politics and you don't need to do anything else!

(except be competent at your job of course).

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

There are different levels of office politics too. From the mundane everyday issues some people have to higher level power and budget struggles. I've experienced both, and it's best to avoid stepping on toes in both cases but the mundane ones are the ones you come across more regularly and can be taken personally by people.

What kinds of politics go on in this new office? Since you're taking a large salary increase is it safe to assume it's more of the higher level politics?

Advertisement