Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smell from clothes after washing

• 31-08-2013 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

our freshly cleaned clothes are smelling a bit sour, like they've been folded when wet and left damp for ages. they never smell like the washing powder or conditioner i'm using. i ran a 90 degree wash with bleach the other day but the clothes are still smelling bad.
    anything else i can do? i have no idea how old the machine is. the previous owners of our house left it behind. we checked the filter and it's all clean

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Snabe wrote: »
    our freshly cleaned clothes are smelling a bit sour, like they've been folded when wet and left damp for ages. they never smell like the washing powder or conditioner i'm using. i ran a 90 degree wash with bleach the other day but the clothes are still smelling bad.
    anything else i can do? i have no idea how old the machine is. the previous owners of our house left it behind. we checked the filter and it's all clean

I've noticed this too over the last few weeks, we've changed washing powder to one of the liquid ones and things have improved.

We're also putting less clothes in the machine.

I'm not sure of the reason but I do think its something to do with the new lower temperature recommendations for the powders and liquids.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Snabe

i'm already using a liquid. i wash on 40. what temp are you washing on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭eggox

40 degree wash is the right temp for bacteria to grow, do a ninety degree wash once a week and itll kill all the mould and bacteria that is makeing your washing machine smell

and do i need to add anything to that 90 degree wash? my mam told me to put some bleach in and wash on 90 with the machine empty. maybe i need to do this a few times initially? i did it yesterday and no difference in the clothes i washed today :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Same here, 40degree wash, but we are also only washing a few items at a time and it has made a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Same problem. Will give the bleach wash at high temp a go.

I hear replacing the pump can work if that doesn't. Bit of an extreme fix though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

We had this problem. Give the matching a good clean, in behind the door seal and the liquid drawer things can get unpleasant, so be sure to focus there. You could try throwing vinegar into the drawer and putting a wash on at 60 or so.

Also I've found it helps if you leave the door open after a wash to let things dry out.

If the smell persists, a few caps of vinegar in the liquid drawer when throwing a load on usually sorts it, and don't worry, the clothes won't come out smelling like vinegar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Had same problem when using liquid detergent and with tablets. If you are sure its not a blocked filter, try a few washes with Surf powder, that solved our problem. Since then, we're on our second big box of Lidl powder now with no problems, and we very rarely wash above 40°.

yeah we checked the filter - all good there. i did another 90 degree wash with bleach, and then did a clothes wash on 50 and they came out smelling great for the first time in ages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

folks the reason this happens with washers nowadays is due to type of outer tub fitted to most washing machines now. to strengthen the back of the tub which is made of glorified plastic it is constructed like a honeycomb to give it strength unlike the old enamel tubs which were smooth and which sludge didn't stick to when spinning. these honeycomb like cavaties fill up with sludge over a period giving off the odour so the cure is a high temp wash without clothes every few months to keep them clean

• Advertisement
Advertisement